New to BI, Server Spec Question

notto

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently started playing around with the demo of Blue Iris and i think this is the route that i am going to go for a small home system. I typically deal with Pelco for work, but that is complete overkill for what i am trying to accomplish. Looking at the spec for BI, its is pretty broad, and i can understand that because of the multiple variables involved.

I am looking to put a maximum of four 3MP cameras on the system that would record direct to disk. The only client would be myself, and only when i need to check on things or pull video. Would an i3 or i5 at 2.9 GHz be plenty to accommodate this small setup?

Thanks for the help!

Dingus

n3wb
Reaction score
I would get the i5 out of the two, and make sure it supports QuickSync.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
With only four 3mp cameras, you can get away with just about anything that carries the i3 or i5 label. But for best results make sure it is at least second generation (i3-2xxx, i5-2xxx, a.k.a. Sandy Bridge) and preferably not an underpowered one designed for laptops or fanless PCs. 2nd generation is where Quick Sync began, and Quick Sync is required for Blue Iris's hardware acceleration. Again you can get away without it but it will be more energy-efficient if you have it and use it.

Also, 3MP cameras are probably not the best value for your money. In pretty much all cases, you will get much better low light capability from something like this: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) or any of Dahua's other 2mp starlights for that matter: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

And if low light doesn't matter to you, then there are 4 MP cameras that are probably better during the day at roughly the same price.

I really want to see a practical comparison between some $500+ Pelco/Axis/etc camera and a $180 Dahua starlight varifocal. I suspect Dahua would put the more expensive brands to shame.

notto

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow. A lot of information there! I am now leaning towards the 5231R-Z, but it's also a nice little increase on what i was planning on spending. I see low light being needed more than daytime video overall, so it is probably an expense that needs to be paid. Is there another model in the starlight line up that you would recommend at a lower price, or is that going to be the best bang for the buck?

If i do end up going with one of these starlights, i dont see why i cant get a side by side with a comparable Pelco camera going.

notto

n3wb
Reaction score
Now that i am in the house, i am starting to look at a camera setup again. I really like the idea of the recommended IPC-HDW5231R-Z, but i just saw a post from Andy with King Security that he has newer models coming soon. Anyone have insight on these cameras? Is the 5231R-Z still the way to go?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
5231R-Z is still a great camera, fairly new (available for less than 1 year), and still the one I'd recommend if you can affort it. There is a fixed-lens version that isn't quite as good in low light (smaller lens = less light intake) but it could save you a little money. Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

I still recommend the cheap 4MP models to anyone who really wants to cut their cost as low as possible while still getting a quality brand. Amazon.com : Dahua IP Camera HDW4431C-A 4MP HD Mini Turret Dome Network Camera PoE Built-in Mic IP67 Night Version IR 50M 2.8mm Lens : Camera & Photo --- cheaper still on aliexpress

Here is one with a 2.8mm lens that I put up a week ago. The reflector on the post is 50 feet away from the camera. All light provided by the built-in IR.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.