New to home IP security systems

rvernon510

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking to learn all there is to know about setting up a decent IP camera system for home use. I've been gawking at kits sold on Amazon for a while but I get the feeling that there is MUCH more to this than meets the eye. So, I want to find out what that is. Ultimately, I want to build a extensible, and SECURE system in my home that can be reached from mobile in a secure way. Have night vision, good resolution, pan/tilt, and some kind of central video archive.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. You have come to the right place. There is a lot on info posted by some very smart people here and they should be chiming in soon. I know I learned a whole lot here in the past few weeks.

RonK

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new too. I've bought Blue Iris and a couple cameras so far and am getting it all to work. I've purchased a FOSCAM PT, a WANSCAM bullet and Hikvision dome (2.8mm)... evaluating them all but if someone has some advice on whats works best, I'd love to hear it. So far good luck until we got iced in here in Nashville and WANSCAM stopped working (Wi-Fi) ... I'm in the process of running Ethernet cables and going to use POE.

Thanks
RonK

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new too. I've bought Blue Iris and a couple cameras so far and am getting it all to work. I've purchased a FOSCAM PT, a WANSCAM bullet and Hikvision dome (2.8mm)... evaluating them all but if someone has some advice on whats works best, I'd love to hear it. So far good luck until we got iced in here in Nashville and WANSCAM stopped working (Wi-Fi) ... I'm in the process of running Ethernet cables and going to use POE.

Thanks
RonK
Welcome to the forum..dont waste your time or money on foscam or wanscam...the value leaders right now are hikvision and dahua..they are miles ahead of foscam/wanscam...

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
rvernon510,

I'm also new here as well and have learned lots from people such as fenderman as well as other forum members.

HIK VISION is the way to go as fenderman has stated. I did consider the 8953 for outdoor use but now ordered the HIK Vision 2332's instead.

Good luck!

RonK

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I was leaning Hikvision because of the reviews. I only see one "Dahua H.264 RTSP" as supported by BI but read good things about that brand too.

Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I was leaning Hikvision because of the reviews. I only see one "Dahua H.264 RTSP" as supported by BI but read good things about that brand too.

Thanks again!
If you are referring to blue iris, the "Dahua H.264 RTSP" will work across all dahua cameras..

EZE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanna know your insight to this ip/wireless camera from costco if anybody installed this kind already,
Thank you. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424763836.175147.jpg

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would suggest steering clear from anything wireless and do the work to wire everything. You will have better results. Those are also less than 1MP cameras if I am reading the heading correctly. You don't want those for the price. You would probably be better off purchasing a 4 port HIK or Dahua NVR and a couple of cameras for a little more money.

EZE

n3wb
Reaction score
May you pls suggest any store or website on where can I buy those kind of cameras;
Thank you.

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to let someone else here chime in on where to purchase equipment from. I am still trying to determine that myself. My suggestion would be to pay a little more on the front end for something with US support unless you are willing to mess with gray market devices with foreign language firmware.

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ordered my 2 HIKVISION cameras from Aliexpress - 2332 & 2432.

Like yourselves, I wanted to have the local support by purchasing the cameras from amazon.com and supporting the US economy.

After talking with hikvision, US warranty is only available if purchased from an 'authorized' store. Store is defined as a storefront. All online vendors are excluded therefore carry no US warranty.

This levels the online vendor playing field.

Cameras purchased from amazon.com will have the English firmware. Reading the ratings on amazon this is not always the case.

Now it comes down to dollars and cents which is which I ordered mine from Aliexpress with a significant cost savings. The cost savings will vary between the online vendors & sellers.

I hope this helps!

EZE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi byee, may I know how much? are you talking about the whole kit? How long did it take before it arrived?
Thank you.

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered my 2 HIKVISION cameras from Aliexpress - 2332 & 2432.

Like yourselves, I wanted to have the local support by purchasing the cameras from amazon.com and supporting the US economy.

After talking with hikvision, US warranty is only available if purchased from an 'authorized' store. Store is defined as a storefront. All online vendors are excluded therefore carry no US warranty.

This levels the online vendor playing field.

Cameras purchased from amazon.com will have the English firmware. Reading the ratings on amazon this is not always the case.

Now it comes down to dollars and cents which is which I ordered mine from Aliexpress with a significant cost savings. The cost savings will vary between the online vendors & sellers.

I hope this helps!
Well said. The only other thing gained from purchasing from a local vendor is the possibility of their support of the product, which would require a little research to see what level of support you can expect. In most cases, when it comes to this stuff you're on your own. Unless you are willing to pay the services of a technician. ...other than that the biggest benefit most people seem get is perceived feeling or sense of assurance because the purchase was made local.

byee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi byee, may I know how much? are you talking about the whole kit? How long did it take before it arrived?
Thank you.
I paid $85 for the 2332 and $81 for the 2432.

I ordered them week ago from Aliexpress. Unfortunately because of the Chinese New Years holiday the product has not been shipped yet.

I'm expecting to received the cameras towards the latter part of March. Not sure what to expect yet since this is my first Aliexpress order.

Barry

dss

Banned
Reaction score
I use Hikvision Cameras and NVR's with built in POE Switch. Works fantastic. Use about fifty cams and three or four nvr's a month. The nvr's can support some other brands of ip cameras.