New to me Dahua camera already initialised

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some while ago, probably 2018 I bought a Dahua PTZ DH-SD50225U-HNI probably on eBay UK. Everything checks out as new and unused, the label on the box, camera manufactured in 7/2017, properly packed and all appropriate accessories. I'm now getting round to installing it at the rear of our properly, mainly to observe any wildlife though with an outside possibility it could pick up human wildlife if we were away on holiday.
Taking the cover off the dome today I've had to remove some sticky tape preventing any movement of the PTZ carriage in transit and a clear plastic protective cap over the lens. It's checking out as new and unused.
The Dahua Config tool finds my existing configured 2 Dahua cameras. When it eventually discovers this new PTZ I'm surprised that it's already been initialized. The camera's IP checks out as would a new camera, but both my previous newer Dahua cameras needed to be first initialised. Is this just that this PTZ cameras was manufactured before they prevented the default password continuing to allow a camera to work?

Before I yet again take the dome off, is it a must that I do a factory reset using the reset button inside the camera which will force a re-initialization.

What's your index of suspicion or am I being unnecessarily paranoid?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went for the reset button and Dahua Config still reported the camera was initialized. Choosing the web interface this did require me to set a new password, so I'm satisfied. I've got to choose next which firmware to update onto it now, Dahua's older or Andy's latest.

So it looking like perhaps I was up against rather lax security on an older camera's firmware which isn't acceptable today.