New to POE wiring and need help

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to install 10 cameras on the outside of my house and unfortunately I can't wire the ethernet cables into the soffit and must wire them down into a hole that goes into a basement. I was thinking of using outdoor rated cables on the outside and regular ethernet cables once it gets into my basement. Is this recommended? How would I connect them together? Also, How would I cover the ethernet/power cords that are part of the camera? I was thinking of using conduits but that sounds pretty ugly.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI. There is a lot of info there to help you. There is even a section on exactly what you are asking.

I can't wire the ethernet cables into the soffit and must wire them down into a hole that goes into a basement
Without a few pictures to understand what you mean, it is hard to give you a good answer.

In general, if the ethernet cable is going to be exposed to the elements, then it should be outside rated cable. Specifically UV rated. Now some folks have opted to not worry about that if the cable will not be in direct sunlight. FI you desire to run outdoor cable but are not going to bring it all the way to your POE switch, then a patch panel can be used, like the one below.
DSC_4923.JPGDSC_4928.JPGDSC_4545.JPG

Generally one would use a mounting box designed for the specific camera that would be where you hold those connections. The box is waterproof. Now how you get the cable into that box is up to you. You can use a cable gland if you are just bringing in the cable, or use a conduit connector if you are using conduit.

Here is an example of a box for a Dahua camera that I installed a cable gland on and what it looks like installed. These are LPR cams in a box outside in the garden.
PFA121-a.JPGPFA121.JPGDSC_4654.JPG DSC_5017.JPG

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi!

Don't manually "glue"/"fix" two types of cables together, unless you use a patch panel like @samplenhold nicely shows. Advantage of such a patch panel is that you can have 1:1 patch-through, however keep in mind that each patch imposes a possibility of link failure. If you cannot draw all ethernetcables to such a vantage point for a patch panel, you might think to install the POE switch at that spot.

Another pro-tip: you can buy pre-wired ethernet cables which are already within a protective cover:
example

Those are already bit more protected by the elements. I have burried couple of those in this wachtbuis:

When going up/down a wall, you can put these preflexes in hard tubes which you can nicely attack to the ceilings/walls.

Good luck!
CC

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI. There is a lot of info there to help you. There is even a section on exactly what you are asking.

Without a few pictures to understand what you mean, it is hard to give you a good answer.

In general, if the ethernet cable is going to be exposed to the elements, then it should be outside rated cable. Specifically UV rated. Now some folks have opted to not worry about that if the cable will not be in direct sunlight. FI you desire to run outdoor cable but are not going to bring it all the way to your POE switch, then a patch panel can be used, like the one below.
View attachment 77405View attachment 77406View attachment 77413

Generally one would use a mounting box designed for the specific camera that would be where you hold those connections. The box is waterproof. Now how you get the cable into that box is up to you. You can use a cable gland if you are just bringing in the cable, or use a conduit connector if you are using conduit.

Here is an example of a box for a Dahua camera that I installed a cable gland on and what it looks like installed. These are LPR cams in a box outside in the garden.
View attachment 77410View attachment 77412View attachment 77407 View attachment 77408
Thank you for the reply! I took a look at the resources you linked and I still have some questions.

So, I took some pictures of what the situation is:
image0 (2).jpegimage0 (1).jpeg
The left image is where I want to mount the cameras. I think I would need a side mounting block to place on the the side and then mount the camera on that (so i wouldn't have to cut into the siding). My question is, what is the cleanest way to wire the ethernet down to the basement. I was thinking along the corner there and then along the bottom of the siding.

The right picture is where there are currently two coaxial cables running into the basement. I'm not sure how to wire the ethernets in. I want thinking of drilling a bigger hole and putting all the wires through that hole. Is there a better way?

Hi!

Don't manually "glue"/"fix" two types of cables together, unless you use a patch panel like @samplenhold nicely shows. Advantage of such a patch panel is that you can have 1:1 patch-through, however keep in mind that each patch imposes a possibility of link failure. If you cannot draw all ethernetcables to such a vantage point for a patch panel, you might think to install the POE switch at that spot.

Another pro-tip: you can buy pre-wired ethernet cables which are already within a protective cover:
example

Those are already bit more protected by the elements. I have burried couple of those in this wachtbuis:

When going up/down a wall, you can put these preflexes in hard tubes which you can nicely attack to the ceilings/walls.

Good luck!
CC
Thanks for the suggestion. I think buying a spool of cable might be more flexible. Then I can custom cut it to however long I want. My situation is I want to run some cable along the siding of my house into the basement. However I'm not sure what the cleanest way to do this is. If I just use outdoor rated ethernet I can hide it along the corner and bottom of the siding but conduits might be too revealing?

Also, my router/switch is on the first floor. Would you recommend just using outdoor rated ethernet all the way from the outside, into the basement and up the first floor or you would recommend I do outside camera -> outdoor rated ethernet -> basement-> patch panel -> regular ethernet -> first floor-> switch?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Siding can be "lifted" fairly easily with a tool like this - That will allow you to run cable under the siding to the most convenient access point. You can run vertically using the corner posts, then horizontally under the siding. No matter how you mount a camera there will be some holes. Usually a block like this - is a good idea to provide a level mounting surface. If you're going to terminated the cables yourself, you only need a 5/16 or 3/8 hole for the cable to get through but will still need a couple of screws to mount the block.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you don't mind spending a little more you can outside cable all the way, that's what i did with my direct burial that goes out in to the yard. it goes from the switch in the data close to the crawl space and passes in to the yard (buried)

Last edited:

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why can’t you get to soffits? I just ran 4 cameras to mine......initially I thought it wasn’t possible as well. If you can get to attic normally you can use the fiberglass fishing sticks.

Yes it’s a lot of time but with the right tools and understanding of how your house is built it may be possible.

IMO it is not worth changing cable types from outdoor to indoor types . More work, time and effort. More connections = more potential for issues.

I suggest checking some youtube videos on wire fishing. I had a dude wire my house for an alarm system and followed him around observing how he did it. He got wires to areas I thought were not possible and I learned a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk