New to the forum

kell490

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using security cameras for years just found this forum. I'm an IP network admin for large electric utility so have lot of experience with that part but not much with the cameras. I understand how they work and such that's about it other people take care of that part. Most of my home cameras are hikvision cheap ones from amazon they have worked great for years when they go bad I just buy another one. I don't upgrade the firmware I know they are gray market that's okay inside my firewall I'm not concerned with them. I use sighthound for camera software I'm sure there is better but for the money it works good.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of my home cameras are hikvision cheap ones from Amazon they have worked great for years when they go bad I just buy another one.
Generally - they don't go bad, except maybe if the ethernet joints are not weather sealed properly and corrosion occurs.
Hikvision products are very reliable.
Have you binned them - or are they gathering dust on the shelf?

With apologies if you know all this :
What does happen, though, with firmware older than 5.4.41 if access from the internet is possible (since UPnP is enabled by default on the cameras, or 'port forwarding' is active) is they get messed with by automated bots, either mischievously or maliciously.
The results vary from password changed, resets to factory defaults or part bricked.

And welcome to the forum, by the way!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kell490

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally - they don't go bad, except maybe if the ethernet joints are not weather sealed properly and corrosion occurs.
Hikvision products are very reliable.
Have you binned them - or are they gathering dust on the shelf?

With apologies if you know all this :
What does happen, though, with firmware older than 5.4.41 if access from the internet is possible (since UPnP is enabled by default on the cameras, or 'port forwarding' is active) is they get messed with by automated bots, either mischievously or maliciously.
The results vary from password changed, resets to factory defaults or part bricked.

And welcome to the forum, by the way!
Yes the first ones I got didn't know any better and didn't rap the connection in tape the sun and water got into them ruined a few. I cut the plugs off punched down a RJ-45 data jack and soldered the wires together from a diagram I found on the internet and the camera worked perfectly. The rest of them I sealed in RF tape over electrical tape works great keeping the water and sun damage plugs look new. I'm in AZ so they get beat up other then that haven't had any issues with them.. None of the them are on the internet and I don't have a home router with UPnP I have a PaloAlto PA-200 firewall does the NAT plus security deep packet inspection no BOTS will be getting into my network. I use my software sighthound to remotely view them they have software install on my Ipad it works good.

Last edited: