New user, couple o' questions **Cloud Storage**

James Bond

n3wb
Reaction score
Been reading up on the database and will be purchasing a couple camera's from EMPIRE (SD50225U-HNI). Super easy to deal with and a great price! My question surrounds storage. Would rather just have cloud vs. storing onsite. I have enough servers and equipment already without adding more. Bandwidth is not an issue as I have gigabit fiber and approx 950 Mbps up and down with no data caps. Don't mind paying to store the data with 15 days or so retention. This however does not seem to be really popular here. I can set up a DMZ or other solution to secure the data feed, so what is the drawback I am missing? I would want to view the cameras while offsite so I will have to open up some sort of tunnel anyway, correct? Feel like I am missing something...

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cloud storage isn't popular here because it usually means paying someone to store the data and few users have a symmetric gigabit pipe. Also, if your Internet goes down, so does your recording unless you have some on-site recording such as a memory card in every camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My fiber internet is down at least 3 hours per month, every month. And has been down for more then 2 days at a time. Reliability is critical in a security system.

4tb we purple drive is about $100.

As you are new.. read the cliff notes in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

James Bond

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I guess I am lucky as my Internet has only been down once in the year I have had it for about 5 mins. I have some spare bays on one server, so I guess I could set up local recording as well. I will read the Wiki.

Jakob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I guess I am lucky as my Internet has only been down once in the year I have had it for about 5 mins. I have some spare bays on one server, so I guess I could set up local recording as well. I will read the Wiki.
I have my cameras record to a Qnap NAS (Not using crappy surveillence station).
Then I use an app on the Qnap called "Cloud backup sync" to sync all the snapshots to Google Drive. This way i get recording of video and snapshots, and in case the Qnap gets stolen or destroyed I have snapshots in the cloud.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have my cameras record to a Qnap NAS (Not using crappy surveillence station).
Then I use an app on the Qnap called "Cloud backup sync" to sync all the snapshots to Google Drive. This way i get recording of video and snapshots, and in case the Qnap gets stolen or destroyed I have snapshots in the cloud.
But unless you can backup the Qnap in real time, you're likely to lose the recording of the one thing you need. This is why I have Blue Iris email me snap shots of events and I have an SD card in each camera recording events. If the PC got stolen, hopefully I'd have something unless they steal the cameras too. They can't steal my email.