New User: Motion Issues

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All -

I've been using BI for 3-4 weeks and am really enjoying it. I've read through most of the help file as well as roamed/searched through the pages of information here.

One thing I'm really struggling with is motion and false alarms (all outdoor cams).

While I'm struggling with shadows / tree-movement during the day, one thing that is bugging me is cars coming down the street at night and illuminating my lawn. I've tried all types of settings/ideas but haven't really made headway. I'm now starting to get uncomfortable with decreasing sensitivity too much.

I know, understand, and agree with the fact that I should use external PIRs. I'm a huge home automation fan so I get it. I'm currently looking in to ways to wire those externally without ripping up my home.

So...until then.... I was hoping to get some expert advice on some settings. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Current example settings (although I've changed them wildly trying to fix this):
Min Object Size: 344
Min Contrast 46
Make Time 1.0
Black & White: Yes
Cancel Shadows: Yes
High Definition: Yes
Algorithm: Simple

Hot Spots Enabled (Street and neighbor masked out)

Object Travel: 100pixels
Object Size Exceeds: 20%

Thoughts?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you should never use hot spot...
use zones and zone crossing
you can use zwave pir

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fender. I think I've seen you mention that before. I do have Zones configured but not crossing. I'd have to think that through a bit. For instance, this camera has a few zone crossings I'd want to detect.

However, I'm not convinced that would help me here. The capture above is not a good representation but the light reflection moves across the camera's view so, I'm assuming, this would also cross the zones and trip it anyway.

I've wondered about the ZWave PIR method. I'll have to read more in to that (and find some decent ZWave Outdoor PIRs - few and far between!!).

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Fender. I think I've seen you mention that before. I do have Zones configured but not crossing. I'd have to think that through a bit. For instance, this camera has a few zone crossings I'd want to detect.

However, I'm not convinced that would help me here. The capture above is not a good representation but the light reflection moves across the camera's view so, I'm assuming, this would also cross the zones and trip it anyway.
Have the same issue. There's a corner near my house and the lights from turning cars sweep my entire yard and set it off every way that I've tried including the crossing modes. Other than turning things down to the point that it no longer will reliably trigger at least. I'm not sure that there is a real great solution within BI's motion settings. I've got it working best now with external IR that floods the main affected area that I watch which then minimizes the differential of the lights. i.e., it's already bright all the time so it doesn't pick up the sweep. Still will pick up the darker contrast of a person, etc.

Last edited:

Tbully

n3wb
Reaction score
Good point on the IR floods. This issue does not exist where I do have them.....