New user, new install 16 (or so) cameras

DennisWM

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reading. Yes I'm a newb to Blue Iris and IP cameras. I'm not going to need a lot of hand holding with the Computer/Network setup, as I've been in the IT field for almost 30 years. One of my gigs was a Nissan Dealership and managing a CCTV system covering 3 locations, but that was 10 years ago.
I'm planning on monitoring my 18 stall barn with attached riding arena. I don't currently have data connectivity to my house or the internet from the barn, but I do have conduits between the buildings. (~200 or so feet)
What I would like help with is hardware selection.
I've read the threads about I5-6500 vs I7-6700 and will likely follow Fendermans suggestions to get a Dell or HP business machine.
Win7 sufficient to run this product on?
I5 ok or spend the extra for an I7 if I end up wanting more cameras?
Not current on Intel processors, are there i5-6500's or i7-6700's to avoid?
Regarding that, I think I read 8G ram is sufficient.
I understand direct to disc writing, but have questions about hard drives.
SSD for OS, and one or more Hard drives for storage?
Separate network card for lan, keep the cameras separate?
POE switch, I like Ubiquiti but am open.
24 port POE?
I can run my own Cat5.
3MP at 10-15 fps sufficient?
Indoor or outdoor cams? The barn and arena are covered and connected to each other. The arena can get dusty, and I do have overhead sprinklers to wet the arena footing. I can mount above that. The barn has an overhead flyspray sytem but those are over the stalls, but I think I'll be mounting in the aisle pointing at the stalls across the aisle.
Cameras will be 12-16 feet high, and hope to be able to catch at least 2 (12x12) stalls with a single camera.
That means 10 for stalls (1 stall is by itself), 2 for arena (80x160 but only want see activity, not do facial recognition) 1 for office 1 for tack room and 2 for the 2 entrances. I may want to add one or two more for the parking area.
Hardware will be in center of barn in space above office, so longest run is ~80 feet.
Most likely, I'll get the server setup, and a few cameras to figure out mounting and aiming, and if quality is ok, then finish out the rest of the cameras.
I do have other buildings on the property, and wonder about multiple servers, are they accessed individually, or? I don not intend to try and run them from one server
Once I do get the barn connected to the internet, can I allow public access to certain cameras (for clients to look at their horses)?
Again thanks for reading and your time.
Dennis

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stick with the I7-6700.
WD purple HD, big as you can afford, you will need it with that many cams.
10 FPS is fine.
If you purchase what @fenderman suggests, they should come with WIn10 Pro, and it's fine.
You don't need 3mp, 2mp is much better at night.
This is the cam to have at this point in time.
DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Read @nayr review in the Dahua section.
24 port POE swtich.