New user: OpenVPN set up correctly but unable to access BI remotely

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have followed the instructions on here:
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router
and I have successfully used OpenVPN Connect on my Android phone to connect to username@asuscomm.com but when I try connect through a browser to Options/Web server/Remote external access http:// xx.xx.xxx.240:81 it gets timed out.

I can connect locally to the BI web server through my phone. I saw that Enable the HTTP web server on port 81 was unticked so I ticked it. Maybe I had unticked it in error!
Be very grateful for some insight into what I've done or haven't done.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just to verify you have the openVPN client on your phone with the correct client.ovpn file.
Connect with openVPN from you phone. After connected. Use the same IP address you use at home in the browser.

Note for the first test use a WiFi connection from a coffee shop,work.... Do not use the cell network.
If that works for you, then turn off the WiFi and use the cell network.

Some cell providers will not provide connections in some locations. There have been a number of post on this subject.

I use straight talk via at&t, with no problem.

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
I think I've been making a basic error in selecting which ip address to log in with. I've been attempting to use the "Remote,external (WAN/Internet) access address" and being unsuccessful so I have done the following:

I have turned off wifi on my phone so I'm only using the 4g network
I have started the openVPN on my phone and connected
I have then opened Chrome and typed in the address given in BI "Local, internal (LAN) access" and have been successful in logging into the BI page and can see my cameras as a live feed. If I turn off openVPN I am unable to connect.

Please excuse my networking naivety but by turning off my phones wifi connection and only using the 4g I am effectively doing a remote access connection, am I correct?

My error seems to be that I didn't fully understand that by starting openVPN I was effectively connecting to my home network so I simply had to use the local address to open the Blue Iris GUI.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doing cell connect with WiFi off from home is a remote access. All is working.

There are a lot of pieces to make it work. You got there quickly, nice job.

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've uninstalled the Blue Iris app, to connect to BU web interface I open the OpenVPN app and then login using the BI web Chrome shortcut on my phone. It works very well now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've uninstalled the Blue Iris app, to connect to BU web interface I open the OpenVPN app and then login using the BI web Chrome shortcut on my phone. It works very well now.
App works well, you simply didn't enter the IP correctly as per Looney's post.
The app has functions like push notifications ui3 does not have.

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
App works well, you simply didn't enter the IP correctly as per Looney's post.
The app has functions like push notifications ui3 does not have.
I understand, I've installed the app but I'm having password problems, does the BI app want me to enter the router password?. I'll keep trying though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand, I've installed the app but I'm having password problems, does the BI app want me to enter the router password?. I'll keep trying though.
no, you enter the user and password you created under blueiris options>users.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Test by using the bi app from your home wifi on your phone. Turn off the cell data on the phone. If that works .then turn off the wifi and turn on the cell. Connect with the VPN then test the app. When login g to the booth remotely (cell) and locally (wifi) login the exact same way on the app.

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Test by using the bi app from your home wifi on your phone. Turn off the cell data on the phone. If that works .then turn off the wifi and turn on the cell. Connect with the VPN then test the app. When login g to the booth remotely (cell) and locally (wifi) login the exact same way on the app.
Thanks for the reply.
I tried all that and still got the same message so I uninstalled the app and installed it on my Ipad using the same credentials. Bingo! immediate connection. Re-installed the app on my Android phone, same credentials and bingo! immediate connection. Computers? Bah!!:D