New User Question

mnjeepmale

n3wb
Reaction score
Still learning about IP cameras and need a suggestion on my current setup.

I have a 16 camera IP Dahua NVR connected to a Neatgear R8000 router. 6 wired cameras are on the outside of the house and another 3 cameras are on my garage.

The issue I'm having is getting the garage cameras to have a consistent video feed back to the NVR. I have the 3 camera plugged into a POE switch on the inside of the garage and then the switch is plugged into a Negear AC750 WiFi Extender. The garage is about 75 ft from the house.

The WiFi signal is not the best on the extender and I get packet drops and garage cameras video loss.

I'm thinking about getting a newer router to try. But I wanted to get some suggestions. The option to run an underground network cable to the garage is not an option in my case.

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi is not reliable period. Three cameras at any reasonable rate is pushing the wifi load.

not an expert at all in this area. But look for posts on Ubiquiti nano station. there are a number of long distance radio/wireless network solutions (not really wifi).

mnjeepmale

n3wb
Reaction score
Wifi is not reliable period. Three cameras at any reasonable rate is pushing the wifi load.

not an expert at all in this area. But look for posts on Ubiquiti nano station. there are a number of long distance radio/wireless network solutions (not really wifi).
Thanks for the suggestion. What area of the forum should I look for Ubiquiti nano station posts?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on the mains wiring layout, Ethernet Over Power might be an option.

Does the garage power supply run via the house?

Cheers, Steve

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried ethernet over power, in my house it will not run 25 feet between two rooms. It is my understanding if the wires are on different circuits it will not work. Even if it does work it will not support three cameras running at normal speed.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. What area of the forum should I look for Ubiquiti nano station posts?
My post just yesterday on the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco here.

If you have LOS (Line Of Sight) I'd go with 5 GHz; if having to punch through a wall, I'd go with the larger Nanostation (not Loco) 2.4GHz versions. Your Netgear WiFi extender in the garage would be replaced by the second one in the drawing labeled "BARN \ SHOP".

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mnjeepmale ,

FWIW, according to available online calculators, each 2MP (1080P) cam running H.264 high quality @ 10FPS is under 4 Mbps bandwidth, so 3 cams that fit those specs = 12 Mbps.

Although I'm a big fan of UBNT (Ubiquiti), I'd be tempted to try a gigabit power line adapter (PLA) such as this one here; it's quicker and cheaper than the UBNT AP/bridge solution and if it does NOT work, return it (if you buy from amazon or others with a similar policy).

I've got that specific one in my garage about about 65 feet away for a cam that has no attic or crawl space access due to the garage where it's located is on a concrete slab and has a bonus room over that garage. It works great for one 2MP cam, 1080p RTSP @ 10FPS.....2 more at those specs might just work. I'd start out with the small hammer (the TP-LINK PLA) and if no joy, go with the bigger hammer (the 2 UBNT radios).

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mnjeepmale

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Since SouthernYankee made the nanostation suggestion, I've have been researching and came across this thread. Besides being a Gazebo it's almost the same thing I'm trying to accomplish. Plus I have watched a few YouTube videos about installing/setup.
I was thinking about buying the nanostation MSM5 off of Amazon and installing it. I like projects so I'm looking forward to hooking it up.

Yes, the garage has power. There is a concrete walkway between the house and garage so that's why I'm leaning more towards a wireless option.

@TonyR I could the PLA but not sure how well that would work. I have 3 cameras on the garage. One 8MP(4k) and two 3MP cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Since SouthernYankee made the nanostation suggestion, I've have been researching and came across this thread. Besides being a Gazebo it's almost the same thing I'm trying to accomplish. Plus I have watched a few YouTube videos about installing/setup.
I was thinking about buying the nanostation MSM5 off of Amazon and installing it. I like projects so I'm looking forward to hooking it up.

Yes, the garage has power. There is a concrete walkway between the house and garage so that's why I'm leaning more towards a wireless option.

@TonyR I could the PLA but not sure how well that would work. I have 3 cameras on the garage. One 8MP(4k) and two 3MP cameras.
Yes, the Ubiquiti NS Loco 5's that @Q™ mentioned and uses in his first post of that thread are the EXACT ones I referred to above in my post #7 above.
When configured as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge it is essentially like a CAT-5 cable between those 2 points. They will do a terrific job for you.

mnjeepmale

n3wb
Reaction score

mnjeepmale

n3wb
Reaction score
The Loco has less TX power and RX sensitivity (and costs less).
Do you have clear line of sight and what is the distance?
Yes. The garage is about 75-100ft away. Direct line of sight.
I can install them on the roof of the house and garage.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. The garage is about 75-100ft away. Direct line of sight.
I can install them on the roof of the house and garage.
The smaller, less $$ Nanostation Loco M5 (LOCOM5-US) should work great. Great price here.
I make my own PVC mounts for it's bigger brother, as shown below. Just shorten the 8" long nipple to 6" for the Loco's.

UBNT_Vertical-Wall-Mount_med.jpg

mnjeepmale

n3wb
Reaction score
The smaller, less $$ Nanostation Loco M5 (LOCOM5-US) should work great. Great price here.
I make my own PVC mounts for it's bigger brother, as shown below. Just shorten the 8" long nipple to 6" for the Loco's.

View attachment 49663
Thanks for all the information TonyR. Where would you install one of these PVC mounts?

I have an old DirectTV dish on the roof of the house. I'm thinking of taking the dish off and installing the bracket on the back of the house for a direct line of sight to the garage. Then buying Ubiquiti Universal Antenna Mount and mount that one of the garage roof. They are both look the same.

I have two of the NS Loco M5 in my Amazon shopping cart now. Going to order Ubiquiti Networks Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point (UAP-AC-PRO-US) and add that inside the garage while I'm at it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information TonyR. Where would you install one of these PVC mounts?
They are for a flat surfaces, as shown for a vertical (and plumb) surface; leave out the elbow and short nipple to fasten to a horizontal surface, like under an eave.
Make sure you mount each radio as close to plumb as possible, very close to the same height and, of course, point toward each other. A visual alignment is good enough at your relatively short distance.

mnjeepmale

n3wb
Reaction score
They are for a flat surfaces, as shown for a vertical (and plumb) surface; leave out the elbow and short nipple to fasten to a horizontal surface, like under an eave.
Make sure you mount each radio as close to plumb as possible, very close to the same height and, of course, point toward each other. A visual alignment is good enough at your relatively short distance.
I have one installed on the house. Now I'm going to try to install the other one on the garage. Is there good suggestion or tricks to aiming this?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have one installed on the house. Now I'm going to try to install the other one on the garage. Is there good suggestion or tricks to aiming this?
At only 75 feet, just mount as mentioned in post #16.
You may also turn the power down, I'd start with about 50% and see how she runs.

AirOS has a built-in Antenna Alignment Tool which only works if the radio is already associated with an AP so in advance set up the Layer 2 Transparent Bridge on the bench and test.

Mount the 2 tested and working radios in the field. Mount both plumb and approximately at the same height. For a relatively short distance such as yours where you can actually see from one site to another, just aim with the eye, pointing them toward one another, Keep the mounting clamp(s) loose enough to be able to rotate the radio.

Use the site survey tool in AirOS to point your radio to the AP that it's associated with and aim for the highest signal; i.e. -80 is poor, -70 is better (closer to zero).Move the radio slowly, allowing the software tool to settle and provide a reading.

When optimized, tighten the mounting clamp(s).

I like to take a medium point Sharpie and put a vertical 1/2" mark on the mount/radio junction, half on the radio and half on the mount, which allows quicker future replacement and alignment if needed.