New with basic questions

Bluedog225

n3wb
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

It’s been a long time since I’ve joined a new forum. I’ve looked around a bit and hope this is the right place to put this post.

I’d like to have security cameras at my off grid cabin. I have a robust solar power system and an adequate battery bank. Other than some ethernet cable, I have not purchased any equipment.

I am trying to figure out how to piece together a Unifi system to use along with a Starlink dish. I’m choosing these two vendors because I think they will be the easiest for a non-technical person to set up. And it looks like they are both quality units. I realize I am spending more than otherwise. But I just don’t have the patience, skills, or time to troubleshoot a more complex system.

At this point, the cabin is dried in, but the interior has not been finished. I have the ability to run cables anywhere I want.

I have two or three basic questions. First, do I need to get some quality cat six cable? Or will cat 5 be ok? I’ve got a combination of partial spools (4/23 and 4/24) of cat five and cat six from habitat restore. But I don’t mind buying new cable as needed.

Second, is there a place to go to get the basic components, put together for a Unifi system? They have a set up wizard on their website, but I’m just picking in and choosing with no real ability to discern what I need.

And finally, is this type of system (Unifi plus Starlink) something I can purchase from a vendor? Preferably a vendor that will help troubleshooting setup.

Many thanks for any direction.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Cat5e cable should be sufficient. It is unlikely that any single camera would need higher data rates than what it can sustain - even "future proofing".

Personally I would advice against the Unifi system. It is a proprietary system (at least it has been to date) and the cameras the offer are expensive for the quality/performance you get from them. You can easily get better performing cameras for a lot less money and have the flexibility to use those cameras with a variety of systems.

Bluedog225

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I’ve been doing some reading in Reddit about various systems. My issue is, I don’t understand 90% of the discussion. I’m definitely needing a very simple, plug and play system.

-Monitoring/recording
-internet notices and monitoring over the Starlink

I don’t mind leaning and using the apple home stuff if that makes this any easier.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's honestly not that hard and you've come to the right place to get help. You might do well with a self contained NVR recorder that you can plug POE cameras into. We can help you select what cameras you need as well. While most camera systems come with multiple units of the exact same camera, the reality is that you need to get the proper camera for each individual location and purpose for that camera. There is no one "perfect camera" that can do it all.

We will obviously need to get a better idea of your goals for the system as well as an idea of your home's outside layout, distances you expect to cover, etc before we can really give specific recommendation, but again that is what this forum is all about.

Bluedog225

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve got pretty basic needs.

I’m going to put a poe camera in each corner of the cabin under the eaves for general security. High resolution and hopefully able to be remotely controlled. I don’t mind big, chunky cameras. They would match the general decor. Good night vision would be helpful.

And another two cameras inside for both security and, if available, thermal for fire detection (though optional). Total in the neighborhood of 6 cameras.

I’m in the middle of 30 acres. At the end of the day, I’d like remote notification and recording when someone approaches my place. There is unfortunately some rural crime. Stuff like cutting out all the copper wires to sell for scrap.

09A59834-C031-47AC-AAFA-D92D146ECB50.jpeg

Reaction score
There are several ways you can go about this.

1. You can get a box system that maybe will give you what you think you want at the moment. But as @The Automation Guy stated, they are usually multiples of the same cam that will not be optimal for every location. They usually are high resolution models on small sensors so do not do well in low light.

2. You can hire a surveillance camera company to design and install for you. This would be the most costly solution. But if you find a good company it might be what you are looking for since you do not want to get too into the weeds as some would say. But that has its own problem being that you will not get any real knowledge of your system and any little thing that goes wrong will need a service visit.

3. You could do what most everyone here has done and that is reading the WIKI and Cliff Notes to get a good understanding of systems and design. Then putting together a sensible system designed around a few purpose-selected cams and an NVR or a computer with cam software installed. While this is more work on your part, it would be less expensive than #2 above and give you a better chance at getting usable video if something happens compared to #1 above and possibly #2 above also. In the very least you will have some knowledge such that if you go with #2 then maybe you will not be taken advantage of.

A lot of us started out with a consumer grade system, or a big box system, or something that a company installed. It all seemed OK until an incident happened and the cams failed to provide useful information. That is why a lot of us came to IPCAMTALK.

Something else to consider is that while you think you know what you want, it is probably in too general terms. A lot of folks come here saying they want to set up a system with this number of cams on the outside a few cams inside. But they have not considered what those cams are meant to view. What is each cam's purpose. I have over 20 cams now. My initial plan was for four (?) I think. But as I got some experience, that plan changed. No one gets it totally right the first time.

Bluedog225

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate the links. I’ve been reading and more to go.

One step at a time, I’ve got a bunch of Cat 5 and Cat 6 cable up at the place. Cheap from Restore. I was thinking of going ahead and running 2-3 lines to each camera location. Access will be very difficult after the insulation and walls go up.

Three practical questions.

First, can I attach the plugs after I run the wire? Seems like it would be easier but I’ve never pinned out a plug.

Second, it looks like there are (at least) two ways to pin out the plugs. Which should I use? T568B? Final answer?

Third, would you please point me in the right direction for a pinout tool? I don’t mind buying a good one if it’s easier to use.

I plan to run all this back to a central location.

Any other tips appreciated.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
I was thinking of going ahead and running 2-3 lines to each camera location.
You could do that. But until you have a plan, you may run lines you do not use and not run lines to spots you do need. Most would run the cable and then terminate. I never ran terminated cable.

Yes T568B.

I used CAT5e exclusively and pass-through connectors. I also bought a cheap continuity tester to make sure I did not smurf up the pinouts.

Amazon.com: RJ45 CAT5 CAT5e Passthrough Connectors (50 PCS),Gold Plated 3 Micron 3u, High Performance 3 Prong Pins (CAT5/5e/50 PCS) (Packaging may vary) : Electronics
Platinum Tools 100054C Clamshell EZ-Rjpro Hd Crimp Tool - Crimpers - Amazon.com
Platinum Tools 15015C Cat5/6 Cable Jacket Stripper , Yellow - Wire Strippers - Amazon.com
Amazon.com: iMBAPrice - RJ45 Network Cable Tester for Lan Phone RJ45/RJ11/RJ12/CAT5/CAT6/CAT7 UTP Wire Test Tool : Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Note that if your plan is to mount all of the cams on the soffit, you will be way too high to get any face shots that would ID a perp. Those heights would be good for wide angle overview cams only. Wide angle overview cams serve a special purpose I use a few of them. But to cover any entry points you will have to mount cams lower to see a face.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
See my thread on placement and height, it might help you figure things out.