Newb POE switch questions

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i bought 2 of these switches to run with BI

Amazon.com: TP-Link 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4-PoE Ports (TL-SF1008P): Electronics

Say i had the two switches in remote locations of the house with 4 cameras wired to each. Then both switches wired to my office to router. Would i need the 10/100M or the gigabit model?

If I wanted to add another 4 cameras down the road for a total of 12 can i buy a third switch & add it in?

Also, is there a limit on how many switches you can have on a home network?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just 4 PoE 1080p cameras 100Mbit is adequate; with just 4 Starlight Turrets @ MaxFPS/Bitrate will be ~40Mbit, well within the 100Mbit ceiling.. Power is also within the ceiling, as you have 14W per port and the starlights take ~9W max.

If you were to chain these switches together or run non-surveillance gear off them (such as plugging in a smart TV to internet) then you might consider GigE uplinks.. but if they are all going to a central trunk switch thats GigE (your router) then it'll work as you described it.

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you nayr & fender for your reply. A few bucks is nothing when i want to buy it right the first time. What is the benefit going with the managed switch?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
managed switches usually let you configure virtual lan's, this lets you run multiple isolated networks all on the same physical switching system.

among other things, but thats the primary drive for the ability to configure anything on em.. you usually need a full network thats vlan capable and a router too unless your doing something very basic.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have multiple vlan's the issue will be the routing between them in general.
Not many customer routers can do that.

If you want secure access also to the cameras from mobile phones etc. Some solution like pfsense firewall might be a solution. That could do multiple vlans, vpn's and a lot more.
But it comes with a bit of a learning curve also.