Newbie from NJ

teky929rr

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Been playing around with some foscam ip cameras (FI9821W and FI8910W) for home monitoring. I just purchased 2 Hikvision from eBay (ds-2cd2632f-is and ds-2cd2732f-is) for outdoor monitoring. I know the ones on eBay are not supported by Hikvison US but I understand the risk. Looking to use blue iris software for capturing instead of using a nvr. Hopefully I'm going down the right path.

I'm a network guy and like to play with gadgets. What I'm expecting is to monitor my home remotely and to capture video if something triggers an alert and send me emails. Seems pretty standard, I might go with a PTZ with tracking but they are pricey. Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Teky

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Teky, welcome

You will find lots of useful threads to help you choose which monitoring station you want to use. Enjoy the community!

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome teky. Personally I'd say you can't go wrong with blue iris for what you say you want to do. Combine it with the mobile app and you can do just as you want. Record video on trigger events and send alert emails or better yet, push the alerts to the mobile app. THere are way more features than that. Just browse through the BI section of the forum and get your fix of information overload.

Again, welcome.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, I use to live in Brooklyn for25 years until married lol. Keep up the good work!
Sounds good!

Did you end up deciding on going with Blue Iris or an NVR? If you are leaning towards Blue Iris, what kind of computer will be running it?

teky929rr

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good!

Did you end up deciding on going with Blue Iris or an NVR? If you are leaning towards Blue Iris, what kind of computer will be running it?

I'm 99% going with Blue Iris. Will be running either a 6 core AMD or Quad core Intel both @4ghz on 16Gigs ram machines. Here's a pic of my rig.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm 99% going with Blue Iris. Will be running either a 6 core AMD or Quad core Intel both @4ghz on 16Gigs ram machines. Here's a pic of my rig.

Keep power consumption numbers in mind...best bet is to use modern intel cpu's like i7-4770/90 haswell with integrated graphics..

teky929rr

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep power consumption numbers in mind...best bet is to use modern intel cpu's like i7-4770/90 haswell with integrated graphics..
Thx fender, you think my Sandy i2500k will not have enough "power" to support it? Sorry since I'm still very new with this what do you mean by "power consumption numbers" actual volts/wattage? My PSU is a platinum rated Seasonic 1k watt, I have a feeling you don't mean this type of power lol.

I'm looking to power about 4 ip cameras (up to 6 possibly) 2-3meg. Probably I'll have to ultimately go NVR once I get there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your sandy bridge will be able to handle those cams, you will need to use the direct to disc option. I assumed you were building a new system thats why i mentioned the haswell. By power consumption i mean the watts it draws on average when blue iris is running...if you have an inefficient system it can cost you 100-300 or more more per year to run than an efficient system. For example the 1000 watt power supply is very inefficient when powering a cpu like the sandy bridge unless you have a powerful video card...im assuming you are running a dedicated graphics card this is another power hog with no benefit to blue iris. You also mention 4gh so you are over clocking which is again a power hog...i would suggest buying a killawatt meter and measuring the draw under load...it depending on the result it may be cheaper to buy a new system...or to modify your current system to run on integrated graphics and regular clock speeds.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
....I'm looking to power about 4 ip cameras (up to 6 possibly) 2-3meg. Probably I'll have to ultimately go NVR once I get there.
My i7-3770K has no problem recording all 8 Hikvision 3MP bullets, although a Haswell is obviously preferred.

dss

Banned
Reaction score
Some Hikvision Cameras have a Mini SD Card Slot that can hold a 64 gig card.