Newbie from South Carolina - enjoying this site!

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Researching the ($700 or less) Dahua (network IP) PTZ offerings. Enjoying thread re: $342 Dahua SD49225T-HN. Next step up Dahua SD59225U-HNI. 25X Optical is enough for my residential exterior. Looking to cover my property with two PTZ cams. In attachment the proposed cam locations are yellow dots.

Front/side yard location is 20 feet up in mature pine tree (minor sway in wind) with no branches impeding view. This vantage point could capture front door visitors, vehicle approaches from both sides, garage door, foot traffic inmy hood.JPG front & side yards.

Back yard location is under eave of house about 15 feet up off the ground to capture back door, deck, yard, woods.

Having fun doing my research!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
20 feet up a pine tree is probably going to make motion detection completely useless on a breezy day. But it looks like it will make a nice view for you.

If these are just for fun and checking on things when you are away, then your plan looks fine. Otherwise, PTZs should not be your primary cameras.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input bp - there will be sway for sure. I've taken pics from the exact location 20 feet up the pine tree by climbing up a ladder and yes, the view is commanding. But didn't think too much about the sway. What cam would you suggest instead of ptz? Mostly want cam for fun, but also checking on action when our inside dogs bark. Safe neighborhood for the most part. pine tree cam location.JPG

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cam location.JPG The pine tree will sway, but since the cam is only 1/3rd the way up the tree - I'm hoping the sway won't be too intrusive.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with this one.

For non-PTZ the Dahua starlight HDW5231R-Z ( a varifocal turret ) seems to be winning people's hearts and minds here.