Newbie looking for General advices

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I just started a few hours ago reading about a security camera system. It's for a business. Looking maybe to get 10-12 cams.

After reading, it looks like BI is the best software for newbies like me. I have some questions and I am looking for these elements.

Elements I need:

1- No monthly/subcription fees whatsoever except internet connection.
2- Able to stream the cameras from home
3- Mobile access
4- Record videos and have access
5- 1080p and night vision
6- POE cameras

Questions:

1- Will BI able to get all I needed?
2- Is audio recording possible?
3- Records 24/7, how many space should I get?
4- Is i7-4770k ok?
5- If I have a i7 computer, do I still need a NAS for storaring the record videos?
6- In the i7 computer, should I use a SSD for main storage C drive, and use some WD purple drive to record the videos in Drive E, F, G, etc...
7- I guess I only need to buy a regular gigaswitch with POE (D-Link DGS-1100-08P EasySmart 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with PoE?) D-Link DGS-1100-08P EasySmart 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with PoE | Staples®
8- Which is the best/cost 1080 POE IP DOME CAMS (that won't allow customers to see which direction the camera is recording) for my projects (and where to buy)? Please tell me the model.
9- Are there any turorial I can read about the whole setup or it's just plug and play?
10- What's the graphic card required for this?

I live in Canada, but I can get things ship to the border..

Thanks for taking your time, I really appreciated it.

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm a newbie myself but I can answer a couple of your questions based on my recent build.

1- Yes I believe so.
2-Yes you can record audio
3-It can record 24/7, but honestly the motion detection works EXTREMELY well. You can also specify which cameras are 24/7 and which are motion only which could save space. Hard drives are cheap these days, just get the biggest one you can. I see everyone here recommending WD Purple Drives for Blue Iris.
4-8 - I'll let the pros answer these.

9-You can install a demo version which has a help file built into it. It's written very well and got me through my install.
10-You don't want any graphics card at all. You need a processor with intel quicksync to do the processing instead.

thanks very helpful.

so no need a decicated graphic card at all?

Is the motion detects a feature of blue iris or the cam?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I just started a few hours ago reading about a security camera system. It's for a business. Looking maybe to get 10-12 cams.

After reading, it looks like BI is the best software for newbies like me. I have some questions and I am looking for these elements.

Elements I need:

1- No monthly/subcription fees whatsoever except internet connection.
2- Able to stream the cameras from home
3- Mobile access
4- Record videos and have access
5- 1080p and night vision
6- POE cameras

Questions:

1- Will BI able to get all I needed?
2- Is audio recording possible?
3- Records 24/7, how many space should I get?
4- Is i7-4770k ok?
5- If I have a i7 computer, do I still need a NAS for storaring the record videos?
6- In the i7 computer, should I use a SSD for main storage C drive, and use some WD purple drive to record the videos in Drive E, F, G, etc...
7- I guess I only need to buy a regular gigaswitch with POE (D-Link DGS-1100-08P EasySmart 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with PoE?) D-Link DGS-1100-08P EasySmart 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with PoE | Staples®
8- Which is the best/cost 1080 POE IP DOME CAMS (that won't allow customers to see which direction the camera is recording) for my projects (and where to buy)? Please tell me the model.
9- Are there any turorial I can read about the whole setup or it's just plug and play?
10- What's the graphic card required for this?

I live in Canada, but I can get things ship to the border..

Thanks for taking your time, I really appreciated it.
1. You need bi and obviously a dedicated computer to run it on
2. There are cameras that has a mic to record audio check your local laws!!! Most states it's illegal to record audio without someone knowing
3. Just go to Amazon and buy a 6tb purple drive hard drives are cheap these days
4.a i5 fifth generation on up should work fine. Make sure you use the CPU gpu (don't buy a T model )
5. You don't need a nas it would be a waste of power
6. Ssd is fine for the os and the purple drive is also good for video storage
7.that poe switch looks a little over powered but it will work ...you could prob go cheaper
8.look at the dahua starlight model
9. I'll get back to you I know there are tons on this site
10. No you don't need a gpu it would be a waste of money and power to run it. Use the i5

Also it sounds like your trying to build a high end i7 gaming computer YOU don't need to spend over 600.00 for a good Bi computer trust me.. just make sure you use quick sync and that it's a modern i5 with low power

Last edited:

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. You need bi and obviously a dedicated computer to run it on
2. There are cameras that has a mic to record audio check your local laws!!! Most states it's illegal to record audio without someone knowing
3. Just go to Amazon and buy a 6tb purple drive hard drives are cheap these days
4.a i5 fifth generation on up should work fine. Make sure you use the CPU gpu (don't buy a T model )
5. You don't need a nas it would be a waste of power
6. Ssd is fine for the os and the purple drive is also good for video storage
7.that poe switch looks a little over powered but it will work ...you could prob go cheaper
8.look at the dahua starlight model
9. I'll get back to you I know there are tons on this site
10. No you don't need a gpu it would be a waste of money and power to run it. Use the i5

Also it sounds like your trying to build a high end i7 gaming computer YOU don't need to spend over 600.00 for a good Bi computer trust me.. just make sure you use quick sync and that it's a modern i5 with low power

Thanks a lot for your answers!!

1. If I need a dedicated computers, the C drive for the os can be a very small SSD?
4.a I have this computer spare:

Zotac EI751 Intel i7 5775R Iris Pro 6200 4K and 3 Display Compatible Mini PC
Zotac EI751 Intel i7 5775R

Is it ok? Or should I use my i7 4770k ? Just trying to save some $ :)

5. Is it possible to download to a distance FTP instead of a local computer in case I want to monitor 2 locations?
7. Which POE switch should I get? No need gigabit?
8. Dahua sounds expensive... looks like its 700$ usd per camera.. What do you think of Reolink RLC-422 Reolink RLC-422 1440P 4-Megapixel(2560x1440)H.264 POE Security IP Camera 4X Optical Motorized Zoom,Outdoor Waterproof Dome,QR Code Scan, iPhone & Android Mobile View,Motion Detection: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories ?

13. Also, with 12 cameras, how many upload speed from my ISP should I target for streaming? Is 10 mbits = 1.25 MB/sec ok?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers!!

1. If I need a dedicated computers, the C drive for the os can be a very small SSD?
4.a I have this computer spare:

Zotac EI751 Intel i7 5775R Iris Pro 6200 4K and 3 Display Compatible Mini PC
Zotac EI751 Intel i7 5775R

Is it ok? Or should I use my i7 4770k ? Just trying to save some $ :)

5. Is it possible to download to a distance FTP instead of a local computer in case I want to monitor 2 locations?
7. Which POE switch should I get? No need gigabit?
8. Dahua sounds expensive... looks like its 700$ usd per camera.. What do you think of Reolink RLC-422 Reolink RLC-422 1440P 4-Megapixel(2560x1440)H.264 POE Security IP Camera 4X Optical Motorized Zoom,Outdoor Waterproof Dome,QR Code Scan, iPhone & Android Mobile View,Motion Detection: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories ?

13. Also, with 12 cameras, how many upload speed from my ISP should I target for streaming? Is 10 mbits = 1.25 MB/sec ok?
The dahua starlight camera is only 170.00 per camera don't use reolink it has problems with BI
4. If you already own this computer it will work fine... Do NOT go out and buy it you can find cheaper options for better performance. However if you have it use it...
5. Anytime you remote into BI use a LAN vpn
13.your cameras on your LAN have nothing to do with your IPS download speeds.

Sounds like you need to do a lot of reading before you start this project. Not trying to be rude,but you must understand how a network works and the basic stuff before you start.

Last edited:

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The dahua starlight camera is only 170.00 per camera don't use reolink it has problems with BI
4. If you already own this computer it will work fine... Do NOT go out and buy it you can find cheaper options for better performance. However if you have it use it...
5. Anytime you remote into BI use a LAN vpn
13.your cameras on your LAN have nothing to do with your IPS download speeds.

Sounds like you need to do a lot of reading before you start this project. Not trying to be rude,but you must understand how a network works and the basic stuff before you start.
Thanks a lot!

You have been very helpful. I mean if I want to see the streams of 12 cameras from home, then the cameras local Lan will require an upload speed. I wonder if 10 mbits is plenty enough or I need 30 mbits for 12 cameras streaming distance.

I thought sometimes it is also better to record all the videos of cameras into a cloud ftp (located in my home for example), so when someone steal something, they can't steal the hard drive is not phyisically present.

Which core i5 5th generation would you recommend?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which core i5 5th generation would you recommend
I would say any 4th generation on up should work good and give good low watts.. just don't buy a T model

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I mean if I want to see the streams of 12 cameras from home, then the cameras local Lan will require an upload speed. I wonder if 10 mbits is plenty enough or I need 30 mbits for 12 cameras streaming distance.
Today standards 10 is low for a download speed but in BI you can sacrifice the quality and make it work. This would be the quality only when you're viewing from the mobile, NOT the overall LAN and video quality. Basically it compress it for mobile

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought sometimes it is also better to record all the videos of cameras into a cloud ft
I would NOT mess with the cloud it's a waste of time plus you have no idea for would be viewing those recording's on someone else's servers. Also remember it will take ISP data to upload all those videos so you would prob hit your data limit quickly and if you only have 10 download speed I wouldn't waste it. If your worried about the computer getting stolen take 4 lag screws and screw the computer case down to something heavy and large.put a lock on the case so you can't just open it with a screwdriver. Now don't drill through the motherboard only the case not being a smart ass ,but theirs idiots out there that done it . Also you can hide it in a place that still has air flow