Newbie looking for some help

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just signed up in the hope of receiving some help from you all. I have been hovering around here for quite a while so i have seen the knowledge that most of you bring.

Now before i explain my issue, let me first start by saying that i was looking for a fairly basic and cost effective domestic set up for my house. The main point being cost effective. I appreciate my set up wont be to some of yours taste but i will listen all the same.

So, i am currently running a Sricam (I know that alot of you will be rolling your eyes at this point) SP013 IP camera. I have installed it on the side of the house using a 10m Ethernet cable and POE injector kit the same as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PoE-Passiv...MAAOxyaqlSSbG0

All was fine prior to install, and like an idiot i didn't check it with the 10m ethernet between the kit, instead i checked it with a much shorter ethernet cable and all was ok. Fast foward to today, and i've ran my cabling, attached the camera to the wall, and plugged in the adaptor only to find that the camera is now switching itself on and off and continues the cycle. I'm not sure whether i have an issue with my camera, or whether the 1000amp adaptor is not able to push the voltage all the way along the 10m cable.

Any help you can provide will be massively appreciated!!!​

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
POE is good for 100 meters so the 10 metres isn't your problem. I would first try it with a different cable that you can swap in place with the current one if it turns out that this one works. And don't buy a garbage cable. Make sure it is at least 24 AWG and cat5e from a reputable dealer, not the dollar store or the cheapest place you could find on AliExpress.

Reaction score
Hi kowboy12r thanks for your input. I've looked at the cable and it says 'u/utp network 5e stranded patch cable 26awg x 4p' on the side. Is this suitable?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to tell from just numbers but the 26 AWG is the crappy kind. You want 24 AWG for POE. Even then that doesn't guarantee quality but at least they didn't start you off with a handicap.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You also want to find pure copper conductor vs copper clad aluminum (CCA). Data cable is very susceptible to tight bends and kinks as well.

Reaction score
Alot more to this than just standard ethernet cable then! Any recommendations on suitable cable? I'm UK based if that makes a difference

Reaction score
Going to be honest, looks no different to the one I have haha. Typical eh! I'll have to see if they do one on amazon UK.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The main difference is the one you have is 26awg and the one I linked was 24awg. The AWG rating of the wire tells you how thick the conductor is. The higher the number, the smaller the wire. For data only uses, the thinner wire is ok. A POE camera receives power and data over the same cable. The longer the wire, the more resistance in the conductor and the higher the current draw. Thicker conductors handle higher currents better than thinner ones do. Your wire being a thinner conductor, may not allow adequate current to power your camera. Does this make sense?

Elexorien

n3wb
Reaction score
Going to be honest, looks no different to the one I have haha. Typical eh! I'll have to see if they do one on amazon UK.
Assuming the manufacturer sticks to the standard classifications for cat6e, try this cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-CAT6a-Professional-Shielded-Network-Black/dp/B003CL99FQ

Cat6e is supposed to be at least 24AWG, and 8euro/pounds for a 10m cable sounds pretty reasonable. Sadly the page does not specify the thickness, but as I said, it should be at least 24 if the manufacturer isn't mislabeling their products.

WT32

n3wb
Reaction score
What voltage is your 1000ma adapter? If it is 12v then the voltage drop over 10m will be significant.

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just signed up in the hope of receiving some help from you all. I have been hovering around here for quite a while so i have seen the knowledge that most of you bring.

Now before i explain my issue, let me first start by saying that i was looking for a fairly basic and cost effective domestic set up for my house. The main point being cost effective. I appreciate my set up wont be to some of yours taste but i will listen all the same.

So, i am currently running a Sricam (I know that alot of you will be rolling your eyes at this point) SP013 IP camera. I have installed it on the side of the house using a 10m Ethernet cable and POE injector kit the same as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PoE-Passiv...MAAOxyaqlSSbG0

All was fine prior to install, and like an idiot i didn't check it with the 10m ethernet between the kit, instead i checked it with a much shorter ethernet cable and all was ok. Fast foward to today, and i've ran my cabling, attached the camera to the wall, and plugged in the adaptor only to find that the camera is now switching itself on and off and continues the cycle. I'm not sure whether i have an issue with my camera, or whether the 1000amp adaptor is not able to push the voltage all the way along the 10m cable.

Any help you can provide will be massively appreciated!!!​

POE injector kit is passive, long distance is not good ..
trying power suply 2 A or 3A.
The problem is power.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The main difference is the one you have is 26awg and the one I linked was 24awg. The AWG rating of the wire tells you how thick the conductor is. The higher the number, the smaller the wire. For data only uses, the thinner wire is ok. A POE camera receives power and data over the same cable. The longer the wire, the more resistance in the conductor and the higher the current draw. Thicker conductors handle higher currents better than thinner ones do. Your wire being a thinner conductor, may not allow adequate current to power your camera. Does this make sense?
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for that.

Assuming the manufacturer sticks to the standard classifications for cat6e, try this cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-CAT6a-Professional-Shielded-Network-Black/dp/B003CL99FQ

Cat6e is supposed to be at least 24AWG, and 8euro/pounds for a 10m cable sounds pretty reasonable. Sadly the page does not specify the thickness, but as I said, it should be at least 24 if the manufacturer isn't mislabeling their products.
When i did my initial research i came across Cat6e but read that the gains isn't worth the additional cost. That said, £8 isn't that bad.

What voltage is your 1000ma adapter? If it is 12v then the voltage drop over 10m will be significant.
My Adaptor says the following:

Input: 100-240v AC, 50/60Hz. 0.3A
Output: 12v - 1000mA

Reaction score
POE injector kit is passive, long distance is not good ..
trying power suply 2 A or 3A.
The problem is power.
I have a 2a Adaptor from my NVR which i tried but it did the same thing. Oddly enough on both adaptors, i can hear the camera clicked on and off. When i log onto my router i can see the IP address appear and then disappear. That leads me to think that it's getting power, but not stable power. I've just been outside to my car and sure enough the IR is lit up and then goes out. It continues this cycle.

WT32

n3wb
Reaction score
Run a 2 core 16ga separate wire to the camera from the adapter if your camera has a separate 12v input.

WT32

n3wb
Reaction score
The current that the adapter can supply makes no difference if the voltage drop is the problem which in this case it is.

Reaction score
Run a 2 core 16ga separate wire to the camera from the adapter if your camera has a separate 12v input.
It does have a separate power supply, built into one block which houses the Ethernet also.

The current that the adapter can supply makes no difference if the voltage drop is the problem which in this case it is.
What do you propose i do then?

Just want to say guys, thanks so much for your input so far. I was at a loose end. Nothing is more disheartening to spend time installing something for it then not to work properly. And in true UK style it was raining the whole time, so i was even more miffed

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does have a separate power supply, built into one block which houses the Ethernet also.

What do you propose i do then?

Just want to say guys, thanks so much for your input so far. I was at a loose end. Nothing is more disheartening to spend time installing something for it then not to work properly. And in true UK style it was raining the whole time, so i was even more miffed
Look at using 24AWG cable and get an active POE injector like this one: https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Injector-Adapter-TL-PoE150S/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474915533&sr=1-3

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.