Newbie needs help with requirements for 30-40 IP Cameras

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to use HikVision Camera DS-2CDD2442FWD-IW. As of now I will be installing 29 cameras in 29 different locations across couple of states.

I want to install Blue Iris on Xeon E3-1220 v3 @ 3.1GHz with 20GB of RAM, 10-15 TB of storage, Windows Server 2012 R2, with static IP and 150Mbps, IP will be solely used for recording video on the server.
Cameras will be recording video&audio for 14 days, 24 hours per day.
Server will be dedicated only for those cameras. In the future I will be adding may be upto 10 more cameras but probably in a couple of years.

Can this server run without an overloading:

Resolution 1280*720P, Video Quality Low/Lowest, 15fps, video encoding H.264

or

Resolution 1920*1080P, Video Quality Medium, 20fps, video encoding H.264

Also, how many users can remote into Blue Iris on the server at once and each of them look/playback different videos, only look/playback and nothing else. They won't need to download.

I am a really new to all this stuff and would appreciate any help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Rickroll,

Please double check the legal issues about audio recording, as state laws vary on this.

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yup, my company did. We have a disclaimer and a paper all patients have to sign in.
My questions are on the technical side.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Rickroll,

Please double check the legal issues about audio recording, as state laws vary on this.
test it and see....make sure you enter the license key..
also, hopefully you are not simply port forwarding those cameras...they will be hacked.

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
test it and see....make sure you enter the license key..
also, hopefully you are not simply port forwarding those cameras...they will be hacked.
I tested it at my work with just straight through port forwarding from one public IP to another.
In terms of security, I thought just establish IPsec tunnels from 29 locations to the main location, and then local port forwarding. But if there's more sufficient and just as secure way to do it then I am all up for it.

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, looking at this link someone is running Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz
Hardware Acceleration
Yes_H264
Megapixels / Second
290.3 MP/s
Camera Count
Total Megapixels
50 MP
Average Megapixels
1.9 MP
Total FPS
159 FPS
Average FPS
5.9 FPS
I am trying to understand the information provided here, its 27 cameras and each set at ~2.0 MP with with ~5FPS?

Or is it 290.3 / 27 = 10.74MP per camera?

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't port forward anything.
Use a VPN of some sort.
May be built into your routers.
IPsec tunnel is VPN from firewall/router to firewall/router. After you establish VPN tunnel you can portforward/remote locally because it is secure.

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Legal issues and security stuff will be taken care of, I need help with
"I want to install Blue Iris on Xeon E3-1220 v3 @ 3.1GHz with 20GB of RAM, 10-15 TB of storage, Windows Server 2012 R2, with static IP and 150Mbps, IP will be solely used for recording video on the server.
Cameras will be recording video&audio for 14 days, 24 hours per day.
Server will be dedicated only for those cameras. In the future I will be adding may be upto 10 more cameras but probably in a couple of years.

Can this server run without an overloading:

Resolution 1280*720P, Video Quality Low/Lowest, 15fps, video encoding H.264

or

Resolution 1920*1080P, Video Quality Medium, 20fps, video encoding H.264

Also, how many users can remote into Blue Iris on the server at once and each of them look/playback different videos, only look/playback and nothing else. They won't need to download."

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I ordered 15 cams for now, and will be testing anyway and learn on mistakes.

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
First server I ran BI on was a stock 1225, which is a slight step up from yours.

I drank a few beers one night, got curious, and decided to stress the server. I found the Xeon 1225 could run about 15 cams at 1280x720x15 before the processors all started running over 80%. This is with encoding turned on and quality at 50 % . Running direct to disk reduced processing dramatically, but might not do what you want.
Also, these older servers while running intel graphics I don't think support Hardware acceleration for h264.
If you go higher Rez you'll kill your wan first with 30 cams.
Returb i7 rigs are a couple hundred bucks and the newer intel graphics support Hardware acceleration. The 1225 servers are too old in my opinion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First server I ran BI on was a stock 1225, which is a slight step up from yours.

I drank a few beers one night, got curious, and decided to stress the server. I found the Xeon 1225 could run about 15 cams at 1280x720x15 before the processors all started running over 80%. This is with encoding turned on and quality at 50 % . Running direct to disk reduced processing dramatically, but might not do what you want.
Also, these older servers while running intel graphics I don't think support Hardware acceleration for h264.
If you go higher Rez you'll kill your wan first with 30 cams.
Returb i7 rigs are a couple hundred bucks and the newer intel graphics support Hardware acceleration. The 1225 servers are too old in my opinion.
Running direct to disk is a must...all you lose is the blue iris overlay which is not needed...