Newbie Network Help!

Phil_RF

n3wb
Reaction score
I am jumping into the security world! I have done lots of research and its brought me to here! Also I feel like I am beyond a kit type camera system so will be going with Blue Iris!

Stand alone cp for the system and its a home/garage system.

Looking at buying this computer:
HP Compaq Elite i5 quad core
8mb
3.4 ghz
2 tb
Win 10
(Looking to add WB 500gb SSD)
$350 CAN

Watchnet 8 +2 Poe switch POESW8
8 POE ports
2 gigabit ports
$250

Plan on 8 2-4mp cams, about 15fp. Thinking I will go mostly turrets (deciding on brand) and a indoor Hikvision cube.

Plan to Run the Blue Iris, Operating system and the clip database on the 500gb SSD and the 24/7 recording to the 2 tb HDD. Would like to do most from my Iphone so I will use the app and motion alerts too.

Does this seem like a good system that should work together well?

Thanks!
Phil

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT!
If you have not done so, be sure to read the Wiki at the top with extra focus on the Cliff Notes.

A few quick points:
  • Insure that i5 cpu is at least 3rd generation.
  • Optimize the CPU as per the Wiki.
  • Put Win 10, Blue Iris and BI's database on the SSD, video clips on the hard disk drive (preferably a WD Purple or reputable brand that is surveillance-rated).
  • Turrets are a good choice.
  • Determine best position and focal length with 2x4 in bucket.
  • Vari-focal lens costs more but no issue getting correct focal length.
  • Avoid mounting over 7 feet, 8 feet tops.
  • Avoid Wi-Fi.
  • Use VPN (secure your network).
  • Use CAT-5e or 6 cable that is UL-rated from reputable vendor, use jacket rating for your application (many threads on this).
  • Use only solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum).
  • Suggest the larger 23 AWG Cat-6 over 24 AWG for POE runs in excess of 200 feet (bigger gauge for less voltage drop of higher current draw over greater distance).
  • Don't chase megapixels, recommend 2MP Dahua Starlight, Hikvision Dark Fighter or IPCT's NIght Eye cams.

Phil_RF

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Tony! I appreciate the help! I have been reading and trying to retain as much as I can. I am not technically inclined so I am having to work at this. I am a mechanical kinda guy.

-this i5 is 3rd generation
-getting the WD 500gb SSD new so going to use the HDD 2tb that comes with the computer for the video clips for now but eventually will get a WD HDD
-hoping to get some vari-focal turrets
-still researching VPN but I plan on it!
-still researching weather to use cat5 or cat6 and thanks, I will make sure to look for solid copper and a heavier gauge for my 2 far runs (275 feet)

Those are the cameras I am looking at! Hoping to find them in black to match my house :)

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Watchnet 8 +2 Poe switch POESW8
8 POE ports
2 gigabit ports
$250
@Phil_RF

Seems pricey for an 8 port POE, even for us in Canada. Googling it, it comes up with a hit on aartech. Is that where you are looking? They are expensive for everything.

I bought this BVTech one for $125.99 back in Nov, it's now $99.99
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0754P9KLN/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some on here have reported failures, others seem to have luck with them.

Phil_RF

n3wb
Reaction score
Walrus thanks for the reply. I did read mixed reviews on that poe so for the savings I decided to stay away.

Yes I am shopping there. They are local to me and have been very helpful so I don’t mind spending a bit extra. I like a local warranty too.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok cool.. they are a 1.5-2 hour drive for me, so I have to stick with shipping from them. I've only used them for my Insteon home automation stuff.

FYI I went with the 2MP Dahua Starlight 2231 turrets. Bought them from Andy on this site, they arrived in 3 days from China. I bought 3, and there was $20 duty when they showed up from DHL.
I highly recommend varifocal cameras, then you can really tweak/fine tune the view.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 500 GB SSD is way more than you need for the system drive, I run all my systems on a 120GB SSD.
The POE switch is very high priced. If you are worried about failures buy two small switched, make sure that the switch is 802.3af or 802.3at
Also do not use the amazon reviews to make a positive purchase decision, a lot of the reviews are FAKE.

Last edited:

Phil_RF

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok cool.. they are a 1.5-2 hour drive for me, so I have to stick with shipping from them. I've only used them for my Insteon home automation stuff.

FYI I went with the 2MP Dahua Starlight 2231 turrets. Bought them from Andy on this site, they arrived in 3 days from China. I bought 3, and there was $20 duty when they showed up from DHL.
I highly recommend varifocal cameras, then you can really tweak/fine tune the view.
Thanks! I am looking at these two turrets,
- IPC-HDW5231R-ZE black
- IPC-HDW2231R-ZS-B black

Trying to decide between them, they are both varifocal turrets.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Basically the only difference is the more expensive 5231 has audio, which technically isn't legal here in Canada.

The 5231 has additional built in IVS features, which you don't end up using anyways since Blue Iris's motion detection is better.

With the exchange rate, the 5231 ends up being an extra ~$62 per camera. Really adds up when you get multiple.

Phil_RF

n3wb
Reaction score
The 500 GB SSD is way more than you need for the system drive, I run all my systems on a 120GB SSD.
The POE switch is very high priced. If you are worried about failures buy two small switched, make sure that the switch is 802.3af or 802.3at
Also do not use the amazon reviews to make a positive purchase decision, a lot of the reviews are FAKE.
I was planning to get a smaller ssd but there was a great sale on the bigger ones so it was barely any more money

I’m comfortable with the more expensive one with a good warranty and a local store but good tip! I probably will add a small one somewhere in the system as well.

Phil_RF

n3wb
Reaction score
Basically the only difference is the more expensive 5231 has audio, which technically isn't legal here in Canada.

The 5231 has additional built in IVS features, which you don't end up using anyways since Blue Iris's motion detection is better.

With the exchange rate, the 5231 ends up being an extra ~$62 per camera. Really adds up when you get multiple.
Perfect thanks for doing tonight’s research for me I will go with one of the 5231’s for fun but the rest will be the 2231 cams

Phil_RF

n3wb
Reaction score

Better for us Canadians to buy from andys amazon store or the ailexpress store?

I already have a amazon account so would prefer there but not showing up at all on the .ca site..

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, contact Andy directly through email.
kingsecurity2014@163.com
He'll send you a paypal invoice. It saves you a little, as he gives a discount for not having to go through amazon or aliexpress who take a cut.

They are on amazon.ca too.. it's just hard to find for some reason:
https://www.amazon.ca/EmpireTech-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE-Starlight-Eyeball-Network/dp/B07F3YQJ8P/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=empire+tech&qid=1554459919&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.ca/EmpireTech-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS-Starlight-Eyeball-Network/dp/B07MJPHHHC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=empire+tech&qid=1554459936&s=gateway&sr=8-4