Newbie question on HDDs for BI computer

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is my first post, I had to ask this question! So I have read some of the wiki and this page: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

The general consensus seems to be that the most cost effective solution is getting one of these smaller Intel based work computers refurbished. The problem is that most of them come with very small SSD HDDs. These little PCs such as the HP EliteDesk 800 are so tiny I don't think I could fit a WD 3.5" Purple drive into them... so, what do you do to connect it to bigger storage? Do you just connect it to write to a NAS or is there something more simple or less expensive? Or should I just look for larger computers that will accept a 3.5" drive?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I almost bought a Dell small form factor but ended up with a full sized and I'm glad I did. You are correct if you are speaking of the smaller pc's. I have SSD for windows and 2 3.5" drives for videos. Mine is Dell. I seem to remember reading that an HP SFF may have a little more room but the Dells are a tight fit.

Reaction score
I think you will find most the "used business computer" recommendations there is a lot of discussion about how many additional hard drives the case can hold (including whether it has the necessary SATA connectors on the board or power supply).

Usually members here recommend against the really small form factor machines (especially if they cant hold at least ONE 3.5" video storage disk). In some cases recently members have even tried completely unknown systems from other brands and confirmed the necessary space and connections exist (and screws hehe).

If you have the space, and you spot a Dell business refurb mini-tower and want lots of hard drives you might just be stuck looking a little longer to find what you want.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is my first post, I had to ask this question! So I have read some of the wiki and this page: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

The general consensus seems to be that the most cost effective solution is getting one of these smaller Intel based work computers refurbished. The problem is that most of them come with very small SSD HDDs. These little PCs such as the HP EliteDesk 800 are so tiny I don't think I could fit a WD 3.5" Purple drive into them... so, what do you do to connect it to bigger storage? Do you just connect it to write to a NAS or is there something more simple or less expensive? Or should I just look for larger computers that will accept a 3.5" drive?
EliteDesk SFF and Pro Desk SFF, both have room for two 3.5" drives.
Look at their spec sheets on HP's site.
And a small SSD is all you need.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Personally I have small (ish) drives in my desktops and notebooks at home and for travel. Basically whatever came in them. I really only need enough to hold an OS because all storage I need for anything, I use a NAS. It's been running fine like that for over a year now.