Newbie seeking positioning advice

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum. I'm planning on using Dahua cameras, so this seemed the logical place to put it. I'm working on a layout to cover the exterior of my house, and I'm running into a couple of areas where I'd really like some expert opinions.

My house is single story, but fairly tall and mostly block construction, so most of the accessible locations to mount cameras are higher than normal. I've been reading a ton here over the last few days and I see most of the recommendations are to keep the cameras at 8' or so to get nice clear images of faces. 8' is right in the middle of the block wall, where i'd prefer to not have to drill.

At this point I'm specifically looking at cameras for the back porch. Its roughly 50' wide, and the depth varies from 9.25' to 14.5' deep. And the ceiling height is 12.5' I've got 2 glass sliding doors and 2 regular entry doors back there. so I'm looking to cover all of the entry points if possible. I was thinking about using a pair of IPC-HDW4300C cameras with the 3.6mm lens and putting them on opposite ends of the porch aiming towards each other across the porch. With both cameras pointing at each other across the porch, they would in theory both be covering 3 out of the doors with no dead spots. Is there a better way to do this with 2 cameras, would there be a better dahua camera to use to cover the porch so I'd have nice clear images of anyone approaching any of the doors?

I'm attaching a photo showing the porch and where I'm thinking of mounting the cameras. They would be tucked up on the ceiling roughly above the entry doors on the ends of the house.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is probably where I would put them. Assuming the cameras go at the start of the arrow and point in the direction indicated by the arrow.

Maybe also put a little indoor cam among the stuff on the shelf in the middle, for better face captures.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also it looks like you probably do not want especially wide angle lenses on those two cameras. 6mm is probably good?

And try to make it so they do not quite see each other, otherwise there will be a bright spot where the infrared LEDs show up in the video from the other cam.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very cool. Thanks for the verification. :) It seemed to make sense to do it that way, however it seemed prudent to double check with folks that have more experience. :)