newbie to BlueIris

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone please school me so I can get my web server working properly. I just loaded the BlueIris software and I have one cam working (I wanted to test out the software before I go all in). I am using a Mac and Parallels, BlueIris is loaded on my win7 vm slice (shared network). I have opened a port and canyouseeme.org has verified it is open on both Mac and win7. However, when i go through the wizard it tells me it is not open.
Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 9.59.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-16 at 8.34.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.23.36 AM.png
For whatever reason BlueIris thinks my LAN address is 10.0.1.12 and this is incorrect since i am on a 192.168.xxx.xxx network. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
look at the interface dropdown in the webserver tab..does it let you select another?

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
thank for pointing that out, unfortunately i cannot edit that drop down, but i bet it would work if I can change it to 192.168.xxx.xxx and not 10.0.xxx.xxx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thank for pointing that out, unfortunately i cannot edit that drop down, but i bet it would work if I can change it to 192.168.xxx.xxx and not 10.0.xxx.xxx
You can't edit it .. depending on your setup there may be two options to select... there is a reason blue iris is detecting the 10. Subnet...are you running two routers?

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
the plot thickens... So I just installed a new router yesterday (I only have one), but it defaulted to the 10. subnet out of the box. I changed it to to the 192. subnet after i realized this. Perhaps there is something still reflecting this 10. subnet?

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
So here is the internal IP of my vm slice and then also the IP from Parallels. I don't know why I have 2 but could this be the culprit?
Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 3.19.46 PM.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. likely... first reboot everything..pc, router any switch...

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
ok so i think this is the problem, I see here my subnet is 10.211.xxx. However every time I change this to 192.xxx it goes back to 10.211.xxx. So I think I prob need to visit the parallels forum next. Unless someone here has that type of experience.
Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 5.08.23 PM.png

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
problem is solved. Apparently you have 3 choices of networking protocol when creating a vm slice. Out of the dox Parallels creates a shared network putting your vm slice on a 10.xxx subnet. To avoid this i switched to a bridged mode which enables my vm to be 'seen' like a machine on the your network w/o the subnet. Now my web server works just fine. With that said my public facing IP will change from time to time, not too often but it will change. Do you simply change your IP every time your ISP gives you a new one? I noticed there are services out there to avoid this, are they worth using? thanks again for all the help here, this was a big help and a positive experience.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
problem is solved. Apparently you have 3 choices of networking protocol when creating a vm slice. Out of the dox Parallels creates a shared network putting your vm slice on a 10.xxx subnet. To avoid this i switched to a bridged mode which enables my vm to be 'seen' like a machine on the your network w/o the subnet. Now my web server works just fine. With that said my public facing IP will change from time to time, not too often but it will change. Do you simply change your IP every time your ISP gives you a new one? I noticed there are services out there to avoid this, are they worth using? thanks again for all the help here, this was a big help and a positive experience.
Great. Yes, there are many services, called dyndns, no-ip, and many others...you can run their app on your pc, use your routers ddns client, or use blue iris tools to update. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/198-Blue-Iris-Tools-Weather-Overlay-Watchdog-amp-more!
Blue iris also has its own built in update service...you need to enter your registration key in the app as well as set blue iris to register your ip in the about tab....in practice, with most providers your ip wont change very often..