Newbie - Varifocal to get started? Why not use everywhere? IPC-HFW4431R-Z

Reaction score
Hello! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Blue Iris-based camera system and now my attention has turned to selecting cameras, which is proving far trickier than I thought. I also need to make sure my wife likes it (we're coming from having a couple of Dropcams, er, Nestcams, but I don't like having a cloud-based camera).

So since we need to play around with what kind of camera and where, it seemed like a varifocal camera might be helpful, at least to determine what we need where. In another thread I saw the IPC-HFW4431R-Z linked (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-H2-65-IPC-HFW4431R-Z-2-8mm-12mm-varifocal-motorized-lens-network-camera-4MP-IR/32407581743.html) but didn't find much else on that camera (reviews, didn't see it listed on dahuasecurity.com, etc) so was a little hesitant. For that price point, though, it seemed reasonable - maybe to use for several applications! What am I missing? Does varifocal impact image quality, etc?

Is there something else I should be looking at instead?

Bigger picture, I'll probably have ~5 cameras around the house perimeter (front entry, front street, side door, back entry, something else) and then maybe one or two dogsittercams.

Thanks for your thoughts!

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It does appear to be a real model, if that's what you're asking, although Dahua shows a fixed-focal length
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hfw4431e-s-3571.html
https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Weatherproof-Vandalproof-IPC-HFW4431R-Z-2-7mm~12mm/dp/B01M2UCK5M

I have a few varifocal lens cameras and several fixed-focus and they all seem fine to me. My understanding is at the same price point, you could get a "faster" (better in low light) lens, or maybe sharper and/or less distorted lens if you go fixed-focal length, instead of a varifocal. But maybe the difference is not huge. If you want to try out different zoom settings, the varifocal is the right choice. Normally these must be refocused any time you change the zoom settings, not like a typical camcorder which holds focus as you zoom.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The -Z indicates its varifocal..

Optics that hold focus durring zoom are called parfocal lenses and I've only seen them on movie cameras and microscopes.

Nothing wrong with all varifocal, fixed ones are just more cost effective.. for a small deployment it might not be a big deal but there's big money to be saved as you scale it up into dozens of cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a relative noob to this stuff, but I have 3 of it's baby brother in CVI 2MP cams. Love them. Auto focus works as it should, saves a lot of time on the ladder getting things just right, frankly rarely use it after that. I'm a big fan of varifocal as I want to get as tight as possible to get good face recognition and don't want to be locked into a fixed lens in most cases.

Once my new Tribrid recorder gets here I'll be buying one of those to try as they have even better low light (per specs), better IR, ROI, and other features mine don't. The WDR has been a huge help with my property having a lot of big oak trees and a covered pool deck patio. I think you'll like them

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't know if you've seen this, a review of a 3mp version
http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2550

FWIW, I'm a newbie too, and just bought one of this, in fact I received the just shipped email today.
Figured I could play with it, and decide if I want fixed or varifocal for my other cams. And it wasn't that much more than a fixed 4mp bullet.

I have a fair amount of light at night so I wasn't as concerned about very low light conditions.

Good luck

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these 'IPC-HFW4431R-Z' myself. Looking forward to getting it, and hopefully a positive 'first' purchase from Ali..

seper8tor

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered 6 of the same model: IPC-HFW4431R-Z, but they have not arrived yet. Have you had a chance to set yours up? Are you satisfied with image quality? What do you use to record, NVR, Blue Iris, NAS?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
this kind of camera firmware never can be updated, but if you no need to update, then can use it with no problem.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy, can you explain better ?
Is this due to different models ? Modell for China internal market and one for outside China ?

I thought that was hikvisions way of working, and not Dahua.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can update it; here's the firmware for it: 大华股份

but its Chinese language, as the camera is not offered in english language.. if you update it it will revert to Chinese language, however it will still work and it is quite possible to modify that firmware to replace the translation file with an english one if you have the technical skills nessicary.

However its not recommended to update unless your experiencing a show stopping bug that you cant work around; chances of encountering something like that is negligible.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Because some cameras sell very cheap in China, and some guys update the camera into English and sell on ebay/amazon/aliexpress. But they won't send you the firmware for updating. And can't updated. But i will tell the clients for this if they really want to buy.:)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Correct, seems dahua will have some solutions for these cameras, maybe will block it soon as i get the news from some dahua guys.

a500drvr

n3wb
Reaction score
Does someone have the link to the page where it shows how to change this from Chinese to English. Been searching for an hour. Should have saved it as a favorite.

I will post a review and pics when installed.

Thanks in advance