Newbie with new setup

JD.

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

First of all I just want to say what a great forum and community IPCamTalk is. I 'lurked' for a while reading reviews and setups in order to make a more informed decision on my own set up.

I decided to join in the past couple of days as I have been upgrading my 'system' over the past few weeks.

I started out nearly two years ago by buying a Foscam FI9800P (don't slate me just yet!) as the solid brick internal and external walls of my house was not wire-pulling-friendly! I had the FI9800P positioned on my detached garage to cover the driveway and front door.

This was just a simple set-up that sent me motion alert emails with snapshots of activity - no recording function. I was happy enough with this but soon decided that I needed a setup to record video footage.

I went with a Synology DS115J NAS as I watched some YouTube videos of the Surveillance Centre software and really liked the simple interface.

So at this point my set-up was the FI9800P with a wireless connection to my router, with the NAS connected via ethernet to the router.

I then looked into running ethernet to the detached garage but it wasn't possible so went with powerline adapters and an ethernet switch to manage two cameras. I've ordered a Dahua IPC-HFW4431M-AS-I2 and it should arrive in the new few weeks. This will give me the Dahua covering the front of my property and the Foscam covering the rear.

I read great reviews of the Dahua IPC-HFW4431M-AS-I2 and then ordered it but have now seen some mixed reviews on it. Any opinions? As for the Foscam, I am aware of the basic quality of it but it will do for covering the rear of my property until I upgrade. The main area needing covered will be done by the Dahua.

Setup is as follows:

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 18.31.13.png

Any criticism/comments?

Thanks

JD.

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay I've a question regarding the placement of the DS115J:

Could I connect the DS115J to the ethernet switch and would it give a more reliable connection? I was doing some reading and it seems the traffic would go from the cameras to the switch and straight to the DS115J - is this correct? If so it would mean that the traffic through the powerline adapters to router would be less and give a better connection.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could I connect the DS115J to the ethernet switch and would it give a more reliable connection?
Yes. Unless there is another high traffic source to/from the NAS apart from the cameras. Which presumably as it's a capable, general-purpose device, you are not simply using for SS.
I was doing some reading and it seems the traffic would go from the cameras to the switch and straight to the DS115J - is this correct?
Yes. But is that your only NAS traffic?
If so it would mean that the traffic through the powerline adapters to router would be less and give a better connection.
Yes. But again with the serious caveats as above.

JD.

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. Unless there is another high traffic source to/from the NAS apart from the cameras. Which presumably as it's a capable, general-purpose device, you are not simply using for SS.

Yes. But is that your only NAS traffic?

Yes. But again with the serious caveats as above.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I'm using it solely as a surveillance station. The only time any traffic would go to another device is when I access the SS from my laptop to view footage etc.

JD.

n3wb
Reaction score
The Dahua IPC-HFW4431M-AS-I2 arrived yesterday and got it set up. It's a beast! Daytime footage is excellent, will see what the nighttime footage is like tonight.

IMG_2687.JPG IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2689.JPG IMG_2696.JPG