Newish member rewiring new-to-me Old House

timblaktu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I joined last month to get information about products for securing my home. I'm currently rewiring this 1909 home, bit by bit, and planning to use some turrets on the front and back porches, and sides, and probably tie it into Synology Surveillance station (and perhaps my Ring Security System?)

Now looking at using 3-4 Hikvision ColorVu 4MP, 2.8mm turrets but trying to get info on the new models just announced..

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'd recommend your first cam to be a varifocal, so that you can see what focal length you will actually need for future cameras. Its easy to test and swap cameras. You may find the 2.8 mm a little too "wide angled". Its good for big picture, but hard identify people unless they are very close to the camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
alarms are for security.
cameras are for surveillance, what happened after the fact.

I would recommend a wired alarm system, sensors on all outside windows and doors. Have very load (+120DB) sirens inside and out. I have two loud sirens inside, they are so loud it is next to impossible to stay inside. I have two sirens outside one in back and one in front. I also have a flashing strobe light that goes off when the alarm goes off. This allows for easy identification of the house. If the home is unoccupied , then the alarm should be monitored by a service. The alarm system mostly will need to be registered with the local police also. I have a closet with a floor safe and gun safe, This closest is where the video system and alarm system is located. There are wired contacts on the door. The alarms system and Video system are on a UPS. I use a Honeywell alarm system. And Blue Iris for video.

Also as a backup, three large dogs, that can access the front court yard and back yard.

I do not use wireless for surveillance or security.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since your home was built in 1909 you probably have balloon framing which makes it rather easy to run wires from one floor to another and to the attic. One of the homes I have owned was an 1876 Victorian.

Balloon framing means there is no top or bottom plate. Each floor or attic is built by hanging a ledger board on the uprights.

Your insulation is probably newspaper, so again, a bit easier to pull wiring. When done, I suggest blowing in insulation.

Good luck and welcome.