Next step in securing your home!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having an older home I'm not quite sure wired sensors for windows and such would be the best route to go. Sounds like a nightmare! I would like my future purchases to possibly tied into a smart home system. <-- If possible! Lord forbid they get into the house. We just won't discuss it. 45acp and 5.56 are the preferred hardware from there. So what do you recommend for sensors in the home.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Having an older home I'm not quite sure wired sensors for windows and such would be the best route to go. Sounds like a nightmare! I would like my future purchases to possibly tied into a smart home system. <-- If possible! Lord forbid they get into the house. We just won't discuss it. 45acp and 5.56 are the preferred hardware from there. So what do you recommend for sensors in the home.
If you want wireless, zwave is the only way to go. On the guns, it's funny people will use .45 and .223 and not understand why the .223 does so much more damage. 9mm is better ballistically than your giant slow .45 round, .223 is even smaller the reason it does so much damage is because it's doing 3,000fps. :)

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm pretty up on my ballistics. At home range 9mm and 45acp get it done. There is no advantage one over the other at 10 yards. I have a 9mm and 45acp. The 45 provides more stopping power. Using both with home defense hollow point = drt regardless. The 45 just leaves a bigger hole. As for the 223/5.56, I reload my own Sierra Tipped Matchkings. They are chronographed at 2820fps with my 20" AR and of course slightly less out of my 16" AR. I also load 140's for my 260 Remington and 6.5x284 Norma that easily make the trip to 1000 yards. But hardly my first choice for home defense. I am heading now to take a look at your zwave recommendation. Appreciate it.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like whatever you are comfortable and confident with hmj. I have a little ugly High Point Carbine 9mm. It is ugly! But it eats whatever you feed it. I like both the 9 and 45 but just more comfortable with the 45. Sorry if I came across the wrong way. I appreciate the input.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2 of my favorite AR rounds hmj. 6.8 spc and 6.5 Grendel. My reloads in those calibers will shoot 3/4"-1/2" at 100 yards. 20161012_201823.jpg

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Remember that many rifle rounds and the more powerful pistol rounds will blast through drywall/multiple drywall easily. It's all debatable but a 12 gauge shotgun with bird shot will be non lethal after the first wall.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you talking about a dedicated home alarm system ? One thing I would NOT do is try to get one system for both home automation and security. It sounds like your trying to buy one system for home automation and security,I wouldn't do it. If you buy a home automation hub use it for lights and home automation ect...then go buy a dedicated home security system. Most home security runs around 433mhz .. then zwave is the only way to go for home automation.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All valid points. Train with what you have and shoot straight. Use frangible bullets and not fmj.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll go with the zwave. I'm not so worried about home automation. Not many windows and doors in the house. Just something that doesn't throw as many false events like camera's.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll go with the zwave. I'm not so worried about home automation. Not many windows and doors in the house. Just something that doesn't throw as many false events like camera's.
I haven't seen a real home security system use zwave let me know if you find one.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just looking for windows and doors protection. With 5 hounds and 2 cats in the house not sure if motion detection would be beneficial. Thoughts?

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The cats will be an issue more than the dogs. We've got a 90lb Carolina Dog and 10lb Chihuahua that don't sent off our motion detectors. I've got it turned upside down though so the beam shoots straight ahead and up instead of down where they run by it to the front door. If there is a area where the cats can't get up on anything it might work. You can get a honeywell, 2gig or Qolsys system off the internet and install it yourself, you can choose to connect it to a place like alarm.com or not.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you currently have an alarm system that covers doors / motion? Doors are generally a much more likely point of entry than windows, though you have some very low windows. A sensor on a window will only go off if the window is opened not if the glass is broken

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just looking for windows and doors protection. With 5 hounds and 2 cats in the house not sure if motion detection would be beneficial. Thoughts?
I wouldn't put motion sensors in most pet motion sensor support animals 50 pounds and under

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, the dogs are 50 plus and the cats drive me nuts.
These Bosch TriTech (Amazon) pet friendly motion sensors worked well in our house with one cat. The data sheet says pet friendly up to 100lbs (45kg). Not sure how it would do with multiple pets though. I installed my motion sensors and was concerned about false alarms so I programmed them to not set off the alarm/siren initially. Then when I was sure our cat, that has free roam of the house, did not set it off, I enabled the sensors to activate the alarm.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The cats wonder the house at night. I hate to say this but we call our bassets birth control for a reason. They sleep with us. All 5 of them!

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I first got into security with Webcam7 about 10 years ago. Six months ago I switched to Blue Iris. Then I got interested in home automation. My first requirement was that any system run totally locally and not rely on any outside system such as the cloud. I'm on satellite with a data cap and significant latency. I also wanted it to be able to work whether the internet was available or not. That eliminated several systems. Secondly, I wanted to make sure it was likely to be able to control most any device that I might get. I researched all the solutions and decided on HomeSeer. I'm very please at this point. It integrated well with BI. Either one can trigger the other. Additionally, from HS3 I can control BI profiles.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will look into it. I have tweaked and tweaked my cameras zoom to where I feel comfortable about what I'm catching. Had a friend here cutting wood. Just got done telling him about our wonderful neighbor down the street. Not 5 minutes later she come running out the door screaming and hollering. While she's the loudest, the riff raff coming through concerns me.