Next Version Starlight (3MP?) Expected Release Date?

vpr80

n3wb
Reaction score
Spent a few hours reading the forum and seems the Starlight models are the fan favorite. But it looks like the 2MP models are close to a year old, is there any indication on when the next version (3MP?) will be released? Need to order a full system for the house. Thanks

vpr80

n3wb
Reaction score
I must be missing something. That link you JUST posted is 404. Searching for "hdw5431r-ze" on the website yields no results.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Odd, all of the International/regional Dahua sites are still unreachable except for the US site, at least from my area...

vpr80

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so the website seems to be up, but (correct me if I am wrong), the higher resolution versions of HDW5231R-ZE are not "Starlight". Looks like they have HDW5_31R-ZE for 2mp, 4mp, 6mp, and 8mp but only the 2mp is labeled Starlight. And the 4mp one doesn't have the STARVIS chip. And only the 2mp has 0.00_x sensitivity.

Is it the STARVIS CMOS that makes it a "Starlight" model or the super low light sensitivity (0.00_x)?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it the STARVIS CMOS that makes it a "Starlight" model or the super low light sensitivity (0.00_x)?
I looks like it's the actual LUX sensitivity that determines if a camera is considered a Starlight or not. Like you mentioned, the new 2, 6, and 8 MP ePoE series all have Starvis sensors in them, but only the 2 MP is branded "Starlight".

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so the website seems to be up, but (correct me if I am wrong), the higher resolution versions of HDW5231R-ZE are not "Starlight". Looks like they have HDW5_31R-ZE for 2mp, 4mp, 6mp, and 8mp but only the 2mp is labeled Starlight. And the 4mp one doesn't have the STARVIS chip. And only the 2mp has 0.00_x sensitivity.

I looks like it's the actual LUX sensitivity that determines if a camera is considered a Starlight or not. Like you mentioned, the new 2, 6, and 8 MP ePoE series all have Starvis sensors in them, but only the 2 MP is branded "Starlight".
It is my understanding that two things are required to get the "Starlight" branding:
  1. The imager needs the STARVIS designation. This designation is reserved for sensors within the Exmor family that achieve a sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1 µm2 or greater.
  2. The color light sensitivity (as tested by Dahua @ 1/3s, 30IRE) must exceed 0.01Lux at the cameras widest aperture (so 0.009 or less)
I don't know if that has always been the requirement, but that is what I discovered in my own investigation.

vpr80

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so back to where we started. Yes, there are new higher resolutions models. No, none of them are Starlight.

So back to the original question, any idea of when the 2017/2018 Starlight models will be out?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So back to the original question, any idea of when the 2017/2018 Starlight models will be out?
AFAIK, only @EMPIRETECANDY would know that for sure (since he orders directly from Dahua). Seems like last year's varifocal Starlight turret came out in November? Wonder if the new ePoE Starlights that just came out are the 2017/2018 models?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good read, we are building a new house and starting close to end of the year or after the first of the year. We absolutely want Starlight cameras for night capability. Going to keep an eye open

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Odd, all of the International/regional Dahua sites are still unreachable except for the US site, at least from my area...
Lol hikvision telling them not too sell to end users

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3mp already have, IPC-HFW8331E-Z but as before talked not very sharp for the nightvision.
This is not only the problem of this cam. It affects ALL r-z ones. We have a private discussion on it. I will invite you, because there is a solution @liz from the German DACH knows it, but we are waiting for a half year now, but dahua is still blocking the resources...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is not only the problem of this cam. It affects ALL r-z ones. We have a private discussion on it. I will invite you, because there is a solution @liz from the German DACH knows it, but we are waiting for a half year now, but dahua is still blocking the resources...
Any hope for the solution, in your opinion?

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The solution is simple, and I can't understand why it's not implemented. The Dahua DACH Support Team has it on the work, but for over 4 months now nothing happens. So I am on a point, where I think we need to go more public.
Unfortunately at the moment I can't use inviting in private conversations and I don't know why. maybe a forum bug? Because I did several invitings successfully in the past.
I have the hope, that @EMPIRETECANDY can use his Dahua connections to put it in the priority bugs list on a higher state.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anybody known what the limit of participation users in private message is? In my discussion we are 5 members and I can't invite any more.