Ngrok question

NL5

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I have the Blue iris app working on my home network great. I downloaded Ngrok, and ran the free version with the temporary url, and it worked perfectly as well. Plan to purchase the lowest plan, which I believe will give me a permanent address to access the BI computer. Is there anything I need to do to make the connection secure, or is it automatically secure?

Thanks for any help in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @NL5

Many folks do not know much about Ngrok so please feel free to post a review when you feel comfortable with it.

NL5

n3wb
Reaction score
What is your internet service type, cellular, coax, fiber, dsl ...
Who is your provider ?
What type of router make and model ?
Are you going to set up a VPN ?

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)
I have LTE service from Sprint, so no static ip.
I currently have a double nat situation that I am working to resolve, but as of now, I have the modem in a Nexg H721 that is running ROOter's Golden Orb version of openwrt. That feeds into a MikroTik RB4011IGS that does all my wired and wireless networking. Cameras are isolated from the internet via routerOS.

I ran Ngrok on my BI computer, and everything worked fine, but I don't know if that is enough to protect my network. If I set up a https address with a password is that enough? If not, what else do I need to do. I've read through the stuff you posted, as well as others, but I am not sure what applies to my situation.

Thanks again for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have LTE service from Sprint, so no static ip.
I currently have a double nat situation that I am working to resolve, but as of now, I have the modem in a Nexg H721 that is running ROOter's Golden Orb version of openwrt. That feeds into a MikroTik RB4011IGS that does all my wired and wireless networking. Cameras are isolated from the internet via routerOS.

I ran Ngrok on my BI computer, and everything worked fine, but I don't know if that is enough to protect my network. If I set up a https address with a password is that enough? If not, what else do I need to do. I've read through the stuff you posted, as well as others, but I am not sure what applies to my situation.

Thanks again for the help.
ngrok by default doesnt provide any protection - but for the more obscure ngrok ip address. I dont know if they are scanned by the bots. Ngrok however does offer a password feature that works with a browser but not the BI app. You can ask the BI developer to build the ngrok password protection into the app.

NL5

n3wb
Reaction score
ngrok by default doesnt provide any protection - but for the more obscure ngrok ip address. I dont know if they are scanned by the bots. Ngrok however does offer a password feature that works with a browser but not the BI app. You can ask the BI developer to build the ngrok password protection into the app.
So, is there any way to get protection on top of ngrok, or do I need to go in a different direction?

NL5

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, if it would help, I have a web site running on a host that has a dedicated ip that I could utilize.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, is there any way to get protection on top of ngrok, or do I need to go in a different direction?
Not that I am aware of unless you using UI3 on chrome on your phone or convince the BI developer to add ngrok password protection to the app. He might.
Alternatively, look at hamachi

NL5

n3wb
Reaction score
Not that I am aware of unless you using UI3 on chrome on your phone or convince the BI developer to add ngrok password protection to the app. He might.

I will try out Hamachi. It will work with the app, and be secure?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will try out Hamachi. It will work with the app, and be secure?
it will work with the app and be secure, the issue is getting it setup with your mobile device. They make it unnecessary tricky.

NL5

n3wb
Reaction score
I asked the developer about Ngrok password protection, and he was unaware that there was such an option. I will update here when I hear back from him.

Haven't attempted Hamachi yet, probably tomorrow.