Nice tiny POE HD camera cheap- for those that want that hidden camera in house/garage

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Re: Nice tiny POE HD camera cheap- for those that want that hidden camera in house/ga

Looks a lot like the Top 201 with added POE. If so, the quality won't be too bad at all.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Nice tiny POE HD camera cheap- for those that want that hidden camera in house/ga

cheers, thanks.. that Top 201 was surprisingly good, I think the only reason I dont have one or two was the lack of PoE.. Ive got a few locations inside, like my server room and cat door that could use a very discrete security camera but cant really justify anything more expensive than this.. glad i got 24 PoE ports hah.

Any one know if these have IR filters on em? I presume they do..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I just ordered to try one. Not sure about ircut as would be nice with some added external IR lights. But I will be using when lights on for the baby sitter although I have 2132fis in main rooms but they are pretty visible.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Few bucks off for next 8 days helps as well so why not.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I just ordered to try one. Not sure about ircut as would be nice with some added external IR lights. But I will be using when lights on for the baby sitter although I have 2132fis in main rooms but they are pretty visible.
I also think they would be helpful in those unique areas like a bird house or area in house that is a concern ie hot water tank or electrical room

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

cheers, thanks.. that Top 201 was surprisingly good, I think the only reason I dont have one or two was the lack of PoE.. Ive got a few locations inside, like my server room and cat door that could use a very discrete security camera but cant really justify anything more expensive than this.. glad i got 24 PoE ports hah.

Any one know if these have IR filters on em? I presume they do..
If I ever go NVR it will be a 24. Still not sold NVR over pc and blue iris but I'm starting to lean NVR seems easy except adding other brand cameras than hikvision.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

No NVR here, Ive got a 24 port 10/100 PoE 3Com switch I recycled out of a datacenter, powers VoIP phones in every room of the house and the IPCams.. ive also got 3 Gigabit PoE ports on my router that are being used by my AC access points. I love PoE heh.

IR would be nice for monitoring cat door in Garage, I dont really want to record the video just snapshots on motion so I have a entry/exit log for the cats.. we have pet eating predators about and it'ld be nice to have an automated means of keeping track of them coming and going.. espically when we are on vacation, they never appear for house sitters... so they've been known to go weeks without being seen.

But if that dont work I'll just slap up a night light I guess.. as long as I can tell the white cat from the black cat I am good.. there is an automated cat feeder right inside the cat door, so I can make sure they show up in the daytime.

Right now the cat door is being watched by a trail cam, but to retrieve photos I have to pull the card.. so no remote checkins.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score

hmm... looks like it would be quite simple to screw in a different lens, like a 25mm for LPC/R...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

oh yeah those box cameas are easy as pie to find lens for.. go check out RC Drone sites FPV Video sections the'll have all sorts of em and great filters.

re-reviewing the specs a second time this jumped out at me: Color: 0. 1Lux/F1.2, B/W: 0.01Lux/F1.2; 0Lux/F1.2(IR on)

that typically indicates it does not have a physical IR filter on it.. not that it would be too difficult to remove one from this form factor.. ok I'll give it a try, its only $23 and Ive got a close friend who wont give up his analogue zoneminder setup for nothing, perhaps this will sway his cheap ass since I know he has PoE already.

even for watching a cat door thats a pretty nice deal.. I am sure my trail cam cost more than that, even though it was a gift.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Ya cheap don't really know where it will go anyway got one ordered.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I have one that looks like that. Has good video but the poe doesnt work if it does have poe.

Has same OS as the nellys ION nvr with that junky cmss program

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

This is affordable and tiny, never seen a POE mini before do here you go enjoy! and post results if you buy one. I will.
Thanks Jack, your post got me looking at these minis again. I have one of the 720p minis with the varifocal lens, and for the right application, its a pretty good value. The features I miss on my particular camera though, are POE and an IR cut filter.

Well yesterday I ran across this camera on aliexpress ... http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b5TjK6Gg

At the price ($28), I couldn't resist, so I placed an order for two of the 1.3MP 960p cameras. I probably won't have them in hand for 2-3 weeks, but once I get them I'll post a reply and let you know whether they match the specs.

I'm thinking these might make a good candidate for garage/roof snow load/crawlspace/attic cameras.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Ya nice catch I like the vari-focal. I saw another in that price range that had IR and sound as well. We'll let's talk it up once these arrive my should be a few weeks away.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I zoomed in on that pic they ha e in the add aND I pretty sure it says 3Mp that would be interesting

jds580s

n3wb
Reaction score

I purchased 3 of these POE mini's in August, and 2 were from this same seller.
I went with the 1.3MP 960x540 4x3 version, and requested 2.8mm fixed lens option which was going for $23.94 ea at the time.

POE works well. They haven't really given me any issues thus far. They have been connected nearly 24x7 since then.
They run a bit hot, but so far that hasn't caused any problems.

If you have any specific questions about them I'll try to answer.

Thanks!

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I poked around and ordered the 2MP version, ING brand one... will report back.... item number 32524107946 on AE

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

The one I really want doesn't seem to exist. I'd like to get one with the 2.8-12mm lens, POE, IR Cut, and with the IMX322 2MP sensor instead. If this one just had an IR cut I would have already ordered one, but from what I'm reading in the listing there must not be enough room to squeeze an IRC in this housing.

Gadinan does offer this configuration, just not in an enclosure.

thesleepy_slee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

The one I really want doesn't seem to exist. I'd like to get one with the 2.8-12mm lens, POE, IR Cut, and with the IMX322 2MP sensor instead. If this one just had an IR cut I would have already ordered one, but from what I'm reading in the listing there must not be enough room to squeeze an IRC in this housing.

Gadinan does offer this configuration, just not in an enclosure.
However lens seems not good from buyer comment. Otherwise with plastic box could be nice. Thanks for the share.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

However lens seems not good from buyer comment. Otherwise with plastic box could be nice. Thanks for the share.
That's based on a single review, and I think the reviewer had unreasonable expectations. This camera has a manual zoom lens with a manual focus. When you change the zoom, you're going to have to refocus.