night license plate reading also starlight 2-lens 180deg

jnaftzger

n3wb
Reaction score
I have empiretech starlight cameras which I like. My mail was recently stolen at night, on camera. The car's lic plate was not readable because of the car's headlights underexposing the video.
Is there a camera available to capture a readable license plate in this situation? Or a method to use my existing cameras?

Separately I am interested buying 2-lens 180degree cameras. I do not want to use the camera's illuminators. The PC-COLOR4K-T180 does not state 'starlight'. Is the nighttime exposure similar to a starlight? If not when will one be available?

Thank you,
Joe Naftzger

Reaction score
Starlight is a marketing name. It means nothing as to the quality of the image or the ability to capture good video at night.

If you re truly interested in LPR, then see the LPR forum. Also check out these threads:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above.

The 180 camera is a great camera but it cannot see infrared, so since you said you do not want to use the built-in illuminators, then don't consider that camera further if you do not have enough light at night.

If you do not want to run the built-in white LEDs and do not have enough light, then you need to stay away from any camera labeled as Full Color, ColorVu, etc. as they do not see infrared.

For plates you need OPTICAL zoom, not DIGITAL zoom for plates. You need a varifocal that you OPTICALLY zoom in to where the field of view is not much bigger than the size of the car.

Digital zoom only works in the movies and on TV.

Do not get caught up in the name of the sensor as it is marketing hype. As an example, Reolink puts Starlight and Starvis sensors in their cameras, but at the end of the day it is what they do with the firmware algorithms that determine if the camera will work well at night. And they have favored a nice bright static image over quality of image with motion at night.

It is best to chase sensor size. You want a camera on the proper MP/Sensor ratio. We have found if manufacturers adhere to these MP/sensor ratios, they tend to also have firmware that allows you to get clean captures at night and be able to adjust parameters like shutter and the camera adheres to it.

8MP on a 1/1.2" sensor or larger
4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor or larger
2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor or larger.

Can't really go by LUX ratings either because there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the Lux numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.0005 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.6 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking. So the "specs" don't mean much. It is why you need to look at reviews here where people actually show what the cameras can do with motion. Unlike Amazon reviews that are based on static images. You are already looking at the best in class 4MP and 8MP camera...

To prove how meaningless Starlight is, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos of their Starlight camera - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1668832168737.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have empiretech starlight cameras which I like. My mail was recently stolen at night, on camera. The car's lic plate was not readable because of the car's headlights underexposing the video.
Is there a camera available to capture a readable license plate in this situation? Or a method to use my existing cameras?

Separately I am interested buying 2-lens 180degree cameras. I do not want to use the camera's illuminators. The PC-COLOR4K-T180 does not state 'starlight'. Is the nighttime exposure similar to a starlight? If not when will one be available?

Thank you,
Joe Naftzger
The T180 can't use as a LPR camera, it's a 180 wide view camera, so for the LPR camera use the popular models IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E 5.3-64MM, IPC-B5442E-Z4E 8-32MM lens. LPR camera need powerful mortorized lens, the fixed 2.8mm or 3.6mm will be very hard to capture.