Night Owl p2p dvr and channel feeds

Reaction score
Hello-

I emailed this question before learned IPCT was an available source. In any case, I was able to remotely access my new Night Owl DVR (mod #HDVRC20X8) using tinycam's p2p camera type and the Cloud ID in android. However, despite putting in different channel numbers, the app is only able to view/retrieve default channel 1 (i.e., all 4 channels show camera 1 image).

Don't know what I'm missing. Any thoughts, suggestions, or fixes?

Thanks greatly,
OC

Reaction score
I have been trying to work through this problem. So I looked at the settings of the manufacturer's app (piece of crap) and see the configuration is a dvr with each camera being a separate nvr? I uploaded a screenshot. Is this a common configuration?

I was given just one UID, but wondering if the one UID and several nvr configuration is causing the single channel feed issue in tinycam.

Should/can I also post in the nvr dvr forum?

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been trying to work through this problem. So I looked at the settings of the manufacturer's app (piece of crap) and see the configuration is a dvr with each camera being a separate nvr? I uploaded a screenshot. Is this a common configuration?

I was given just one UID, but wondering if the one UID and several nvr configuration is causing the single channel feed issue in tinycam.

Should/can I also post in the nvr dvr forum?
Hi @offcerclancy

Try playing with the various channels using VLC and see if you can learn more that way.

Also do note, that P2P UPnP and port forwarding have been known to allow attacks into your LAN.

Reaction score
Hi @offcerclancy

Try playing with the various channels using VLC and see if you can learn more that way.

Also do note, that P2P UPnP and port forwarding have been known to allow attacks into your LAN.
Hey mat200, thanks for the reply. Problem w/this dvr is that access is only possible using the UID- no ip access. I'm just happy that tinycam allows limited access (w/p2p camera type option). I just need to determine why at this time access is limited to default channel no. 1 viewing.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mat200, thanks for the reply. Problem w/this dvr is that access is only possible using the UID- no ip access. I'm just happy that tinycam allows limited access (w/p2p camera type option). I just need to determine why at this time access is limited to default channel no. 1 viewing.
Hi @offcerclancy

If you disconnect the internet, can you see the video feed from your LAN?

If so, then perhaps there's something you can do without having it use P2P.

Reaction score
Hi @offcerclancy

If you disconnect the internet, can you see the video feed from your LAN?

If so, then perhaps there's something you can do without having it use P2P.
That was a good suggestion; I was thinking VPN. However, checking product manual and found this: "You will need the included Ethernet cable to establish connection, your DVR will not be able to wirelessly connect to your router/modem."

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was a good suggestion; I was thinking VPN. However, checking product manual and found this: "You will need the included Ethernet cable to establish connection, your DVR will not be able to wirelessly connect to your router/modem."
Hi @offcerclancy

Yes, most DVRs/NVRs do not have a wireless chip in them so they can not connect wireless to your router/modem and you must wire the DVR/NVR to your router/modem.

That noted, can you see any of the cameras when you are connected to your LAN?

again you want to do the following:
"If you disconnect the internet, can you see the video feed from your LAN?

If so, then perhaps there's something you can do without having it use P2P."

Reaction score
Hi @offcerclancy

Yes, most DVRs/NVRs do not have a wireless chip in them so they can not connect wireless to your router/modem and you must wire the DVR/NVR to your router/modem.

That noted, can you see any of the cameras when you are connected to your LAN?

again you want to do the following:
"If you disconnect the internet, can you see the video feed from your LAN?

If so, then perhaps there's something you can do without having it use P2P."
With no internet, cams can only be viewed on hdmi connected monitor.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agree. However, too late for return. At this point, since I am able to view default channel, I am hoping Alexey will have a work around.
Note: If you picked this up from Costco, they have a good return policy