Night time cameras for facial / License Plate recognition . Hikvision reccomendations ?

Temblor

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I want to upgrade my cameras on my BI system to some decent night time facial recognition & license plate capable cameras.. (separate cameras for both) price range $150 - $300
Partially lit residential street from 60-70 ft range
I am considering the Hikvision MFR #DS-2CD2042WD-I-6MM $159 vs MFR #DS-2CD2642FWD-IZS $299 from B&H (authorized seller)
Is it worth the extra $150 for the 12 mm ? at least on the License plate cam?
Is the 6MM capable of license plate or facial recognition at night?

Any other brands of better quality reliability in this price range?
Any bet places to buy price wise? or do these go on sale at better prices?

Thanks!

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
for plates at 60feet or so, you'll want at least 25mm zoom, maybe more.

there's a version of the Hik motorized vari-focal you mention above that'll do 8-32mm
(the default 2.8-12 won't be so useful at that distance)
I just snagged this one Alibi 2.0MP HD-TVI 260' IR Outdoor Bullet Security Camera, 3.6mm Wide Angle Lens 791963374795 | eBay :)
which appears to be same/similar to Hik DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZH8

you mention faces too, but you'll need a different cam for that,
as once you set it up for plates at night, you won't see faces.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Temblor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for reply,
I do see one on B&H 8-32mm but that is out of my price range @ $579
ouch.. any other alternatives in the $300 range?

What are the best nighttime distance expectations for license plates for the 12MM?
Best expectations for 6MM ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
White LED Light is your friend for ID at night, especially when running in forced color mode at night.

Temblor

n3wb
Reaction score
the Z12 version of the Dahua 2MP starlight bullet seems to be pretty popular for LPR duties as well (no personal experience tho):
US $217.46 5% OFF|Original Brand English version 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12E,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
should also be good for night-time facial ID at 30-40ft, given it's low-light chops...
This seems like a popular camera/.. I did send a quote request from Andy?
But it appears a couple weeks O/S

What is the difference between IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E and
HAC-HFW3231E-Z12 starlit ? (as I can get this from a reputable seller for $200 today because of 10% ebay bucks offer)
Couple more questions; Do these Dahua cameras swivel to different angles? (hard to tell from picture of camera which has it straight out)
Is it pretty straight forward plugging these in to Blue Iris on my PC? Is it done with a Cat 5 wire to my router? I do not have any 12V cameras.. anyone have a link to a common power source transformer unit?
I have read that the LPR camera is zoomed in and not much good for anything else? Is that true with the facial? Do you need it zoomed to a specific walk way? or can it be a wide coverage camera and you zoom in while watching film? In this case.. I guess what I am asking is which model Dahua camera for each 3 applications? LPR, Facial and street/Wide ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Temblor

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is a rough draft, add 2 new camera locations will be 14' high under an eave, 60-70' for LPR and 50'-90' for facial. I have several lower quality cameras now & I want to ad 2 new cameras (maybe more later) IMAG2185.jpg

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the difference between IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E and
HAC-HFW3231E-Z12 starlit
HAC are HDCVI cameras... different technology. They don't use IP/PoE, so you couldn't use them with Blue Iris.

You might have a go at IPVM Camera Calculator V3. Type in your address, let it pull up a Google map of your house, add a camera, change the camera model to something you're interested in, drag it to where it would be positioned on your house, then move the little guy out to the sidewalk or street. It should show you a simulated image that should be close to the actual camera model. For varifocal cameras (like the 5231R-Z12), you can change the focal length and see the impact on the image.

Also if you haven't seen it, there's a sub-forum here dedicated to LPR (capturing license plates). It appears to be as much art as it is science, so prob worth going through and seeing the tricks others have learned.