Night Vision - B&W to Color

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After installing a Daylight light bulb in a rather new light post I installed on our lawn, I decided to check the color view of my night vision cameras. Mainly the 2 in front of our house to determine if it worth keeping them this way.
Here are the results I ended up with which don't seem bad for night time color.

Light is about a 1700 L brightness.

Compare2.jpg
These bottom 2 were taken at almost the same, only the color shot was the later shot, but only by about 10 minutes. I am pretty impressed that the hick works so well without IR running.
Compare.jpg
Looks like the color setting is pretty decent and I can still see down the street pretty well still. I am going to run with this for awhile and check detail on facial features.

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks pretty good! I'm trying to see if I can move some of my camara to color... The Qsee setting on NVR are not friendly...

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Image looks good! I run my driveway turret in constant color mode and I'm happy with it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What shutter speed are you at? Does fast motion result in a blur?

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks good. Did you block off the back side of the light? I have a similar setup, tempted to through some aluminum foil or something in the light to stop the glare.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mirror pieces.jpg I blocked the back side and a portion of the right side of my light post light with some custom cut mirror I had done at a local glass shop. Used one full piece to block light for the back side of the lamp box that is facing the house and also an additional shortened side piece that is about 1 1/2in wide to just block the edge of the bulb that still appeared to the camera view from the side of the light box. You will have to make adjustment in camera software so you don't overexpose facial features with an over bright light. You can also adjust frame stop for example, 1/12 to 1/30 to decrease any blurring that occurs. I find that you need to find a medium spot to pickup walking targets, as well as moving car targets. I have since purchased a 10x Mini-PTZ camera to grab every plate that rolls down the street and dedicated the other cameras pretty much for foot traffic surveillance.

Last edited:

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mirror, great idea, thanks. Tried the aluminum foil and it worked great. When it gets warm i'll try to cut some mirror to make it look less ghetto and hopefully direct more lumens where i want them.