Night Vision Cloudyness

Tyler C

n3wb
Reaction score
All,

I recently went out to a maintenance complaint about several cameras outside that are cloudy during the night vision only. The cameras are 4MP LTS Dome (See link: Platinum Network Vandal Dome IP Camera 4MP). 2 out of the 3 of these pictured, are under soffit and out of direct contact with the elements. I took the dome covers off, buffed the inside and out and confirmed the lens were crystal clear before butting them back on. So tonight, I got sent a couple screen shots of the "cloudyness" that cleared up a little, but is still there. I also checked the actual lens of the camera and it was clear, hence while the day time picture is fine. I have heard of IR flash back but this does not seem like that. Any suggestions or things to look for?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All,

I recently went out to a maintenance complaint about several cameras outside that are cloudy during the night vision only. The cameras are 4MP LTS Dome (See link: Platinum Network Vandal Dome IP Camera 4MP). 2 out of the 3 of these pictured, are under soffit and out of direct contact with the elements. I took the dome covers off, buffed the inside and out and confirmed the lens were crystal clear before butting them back on. So tonight, I got sent a couple screen shots of the "cloudyness" that cleared up a little, but is still there. I also checked the actual lens of the camera and it was clear, hence while the day time picture is fine. I have heard of IR flash back but this does not seem like that. Any suggestions or things to look for?
This is ir reflection caused most likely by improper mounting. You can see the walls reflecting near the camera.
Another cause is improperly fitting the foam ring between the lens and the dome. There are many threads that discuss this.

Tyler C

n3wb
Reaction score
This is ir reflection caused most likely by improper mounting. You can see the walls reflecting near the camera.
Another cause is improperly fitting the foam ring between the lens and the dome. There are many threads that discuss this.
So it is fixable then? Remove the walls from the viewing angle and check the foam o ring?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So it is fixable then? Remove the walls from the viewing angle and check the foam o ring?
yes. its not just the walls, it can be a ceiling etc and it can reflect even if its outside the viewing angle. Ultimately the lens will get dirty and you will have more IR issues. This is why domes are not recommended for outdoor use.

Tyler C

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to adjust the foam ring? I just took a brand new one out of the box and it does not even sit flush up against the lens.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is Hikvision's official technical bulletin on the issue. It describes both the foam ring issue and the nearby obstacle issue, and in your case I believe those cameras are suffering from both. https://oversea-download.hikvision.com/uploadfile/doc/20140804/Technical Bulletin DS-2CD21x2-I Dome Camera IR Leakage v1.1.pdf

Turrets are a popular alternative to domes because they don't have internal IR reflection issues (no foam ring to worry about) and the IR being separate from the lens helps keep insects away from the lens. Consider these for future installs, especially outdoors.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If fixing the foam ring's seal and re-aiming/repositioning the cameras doesn't solve the foggy issue, one option is to disable the internal IR and install external IR illumination near the camera but positioned where it won't hit any nearby surfaces and scatter.

Tyler C

n3wb
Reaction score
If fixing the foam ring's seal and re-aiming/repositioning the cameras doesn't solve the foggy issue, one option is to disable the internal IR and install external IR illumination near the camera but positioned where it won't hit any nearby surfaces and scatter.
Is there a way to make the foam ring sit flush against the lens a bit better? I just took a brand new one out of the box and it doesn't even sit flush.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to make the foam ring sit flush against the lens a bit better? I just took a brand new one out of the box and it doesn't even sit flush.
Hi @Tyler C

I just took a brand new one out of the box and it doesn't even sit flush.

Return the product if it is defective.

Note to those following: This is why we highly discourage using Dome style cameras outdoors. They have some significant issues which require more care than most of us wish to do. It is fine if you're a business and want domes for a particular reason and understand that there's maintenance and degradation issues that you have to account for ( and pay for ).

Tyler C

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Tyler C

I just took a brand new one out of the box and it doesn't even sit flush.

Return the product if it is defective.

Note to those following: This is why we highly discourage using Dome style cameras outdoors. They have some significant issues which require more care than most of us wish to do. It is fine if you're a business and want domes for a particular reason and understand that there's maintenance and degradation issues that you have to account for ( and pay for ).
I have since switched to turrets and bullets for outdoor applications. I'm aware it needs to push up against the dome lens not the camera lens. My apologies should of clarified that. I was just simply asking if that foam ring is adjustable if it does not push up against the dome lens.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have since switched to turrets and bullets for outdoor applications. I'm aware it needs to push up against the dome lens not the camera lens. My apologies should of clarified that. I was just simply asking if that foam ring is adjustable if it does not push up against the dome lens.
Hi @Tyler C

Some will replace the foam with a new DIY piece.. if it came that way new, you want to return it imho. ( check that you've got the dome properly mounted on the camera.. )

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems I might be better off to just replace them with turrets and make it a lesson learned.
The model there now has an older front-illuminated 1/3" sensor.

If you have the ability to swap these out for turrets that use the newer, bigger front-illuminated sensors (1/2.8", 1/2", 1/1.8"), the larger pixel size allows them to capture more light per pixel, which makes for better image quality during low light. Dahua Starlight/Hikvision Dark Fighter models.