Night vision settings for Dahua PTZ

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I would like some recommendations for adjusting my PTZ's night vision.

I have a SD49225T-HN.

Currently all running on default settings. Daytime images are fine, it's the night vision that I want to sort out.

My main issues is that reflective number plates are over exposed by the IR light. What settings do you recommend to improve viewing number plates but not looking to set the PTZ up as a LPR camera? Can I keep the zoom level overviewing the area (number plates are fine in the day) or would I need to zoom-in more where cars pass?

Also, is it possible to set HLC on only for the evening and off during the day?

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I have experienced from the PTZ's for detecting plates is that there is too many variables for the PTZ to get it right without being set up for a dedicated LPR.
Anything reflective need to be adjusted manually and if not set up that way there just isn't time for the camera as it is focusing on the entire scene.
You can tweak the settings for IR but I don't think you will have much luck getting plates this way.

As far as switching HCL on /off you can do this automatically in the settings tab if you set a schedule for day / night in the profile management.
Then each day night profile works interdependently for the time you set for all the settings.
Just remember that when you change a setting it will only be for that day or night mode you are in, each one will need to be changed and saved if desired.

1.JPG

2.jpg

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I have experienced from the PTZ's for detecting plates is that there is too many variables for the PTZ to get it right without being set up for a dedicated LPR.
Anything reflective need to be adjusted manually and if not set up that way there just isn't time for the camera as it is focusing on the entire scene.
You can tweak the settings for IR but I don't think you will have much luck getting plates this way.

As far as switching HCL on /off you can do this automatically in the settings tab if you set a schedule for day / night in the profile management.
Then each day night profile works interdependently for the time you set for all the settings.
Just remember that when you change a setting it will only be for that day or night mode you are in, each one will need to be changed and saved if desired.

View attachment 48427

View attachment 48428
Cool, thanks jmcu for sharing your experience with PTZs and plates, makes sense.

And thanks for the tip on the HLC and day/night settings.

Do you know what the difference is between the "Smart IR" and "ZoomPrio" mode under the IR setting is?

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Your welcome, If you look at the dedicated LPR section of the forum you will find much useful info if you are looking to use for plates, but there are better cams used for this.
The smart IR is suppose adjust according to what it thinks is best, it works as a variable IR changing as needed. The smart IR tends to lower the IR when needed but not always- it should of been named "kind of smartIR"
Some cams work better than others at doing this.
The zoomprio will increase IR the more zoom you apply.