No audio on cameras

Ajb004

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 hikvision cameras currently. One DS-2CD2185FWD-IS and two DS-2CD2142FWD-IS with milestone as recording software. I need to get audio working on one of the cameras. I'm not having much luck getting the audio to work on either the web interface or in milestone for any camera. I made sure to get the (S) option to include the built in mic but on the DS-2CD2185FWD-IS the only option i have is line in? On the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras i cant get the plugin to work on windows 10 for the web interface to view live video and i don't have audio in milestone either. i did make sure audio was enabled in config of the camera and audio is setup to record in milestone. Anybody have any suggestions what i could be doing wrong? Ive looked into using external mics but looks like you need to wire up an external 12v supply for the mic. i don't have any power in the area the camera is located other than the POE so trying to stay away from external power. Also if these cameras are not the best cameras to be using for audio what is a good POE camera i could use with audio. Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 hikvision cameras currently. One DS-2CD2185FWD-IS and two DS-2CD2142FWD-IS with milestone as recording software. I need to get audio working on one of the cameras. I'm not having much luck getting the audio to work on either the web interface or in milestone for any camera. I made sure to get the (S) option to include the built in mic but on the DS-2CD2185FWD-IS the only option i have is line in? On the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras i cant get the plugin to work on windows 10 for the web interface to view live video and i don't have audio in milestone either. i did make sure audio was enabled in config of the camera and audio is setup to record in milestone. Anybody have any suggestions what i could be doing wrong? Ive looked into using external mics but looks like you need to wire up an external 12v supply for the mic. i don't have any power in the area the camera is located other than the POE so trying to stay away from external power. Also if these cameras are not the best cameras to be using for audio what is a good POE camera i could use with audio. Thank you!
none of these cameras have built in mics. You will need to power the mics. You can split the power of the cable with a poe powered switch, there are threads on alternative methods.
The easiest solution is to use a camera with a mic. Many dahua turrets have built in mics. Read the cliffnotes.

Ajb004

n3wb
Reaction score
Isn’t the (S) in the Hikvision part number for sound which means they have a built in mic?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn’t the (S) in the Hikvision part number for sound which means they have a built in mic?
No. It indicates that there is either a built-in mic or audio in and out this varies by camera.