No Motion Alerts Detected At Night Time [blue iris v5]

blaskovicz

n3wb
Reaction score
I just recently set up blue iris following the guide on The Hook Up (sd streams, hd streams, deepstack, ai tool). I have 3 Reolink RLC-820a cameras recording continuously and triggering motion events based on a low-res rtsp substream. The motion detection mostly works during the day (misses some things), but at night time, I am not seeing any motion overlays triggered. Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong? I have screenshots of settings, along with a day and night "motion event" attached.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink cameras can be problematic. There is no control for setting, and maintaining, frame, bit and iframe rates. That can make motion detection difficult to say the least.

That said, have you tried using a detection zone at all? That may help. I have one Reolink, and older 2MP, that is relegated to watching the basement and it works fine, for a Reolink, in BI using a motion detection setup.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using a 2nd profile for nighttime or just one profile for everything?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The trigger tab and the motion detection tabs are what is needed.

I suggest cutting the record time down to one hour increments and setting the file at a maximum of three gigs.

blaskovicz

n3wb
Reaction score
The trigger tab and the motion detection tabs are what is needed.

I suggest cutting the record time down to one hour increments and setting the file at a maximum of three gigs.
Those settings are in my original post pictures I thought?

Do those two settings affect motion detection or is it just a general BI recommendation?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The record settings are general recommendations. I find it easier to work with one hour files and keeping the size down makes it easier, on the PC, as well.

My bad with the screen caps. If you tried using the simple motion algorithm rather than edge vector and had similar problems, try unchecking "object moves "x" pixels".

As I said earlier, Reolinks lack of control for critical settings can make object detection at night a real problem. The frame and iframe rates frequently drop too low for adequate analysis. Another trick is to set the maximum frame rate, in the camera GUI, at the maximum setting available. That will get the iframe rate up as well even though it will never reach what it is set for.

blaskovicz

n3wb
Reaction score
The record settings are general recommendations. I find it easier to work with one hour files and keeping the size down makes it easier, on the PC, as well.

My bad with the screen caps. If you tried using the simple motion algorithm rather than edge vector and had similar problems, try unchecking "object moves "x" pixels".

As I said earlier, Reolinks lack of control for critical settings can make object detection at night a real problem. The frame and iframe rates frequently drop too low for adequate analysis. Another trick is to set the maximum frame rate, in the camera GUI, at the maximum setting available. That will get the iframe rate up as well even though it will never reach what it is set for.
I upped the setting on the sub-stream which does the motion detection (640x360) to 15 FPS (from 10 FPS), so I'll see if that makes a difference, thanks!
It looks like the main stream (3840x2160) FPS maxes out at 25, which it was already defaulted to.

blaskovicz

n3wb
Reaction score
I upped the setting on the sub-stream which does the motion detection (640x360) to 15 FPS (from 10 FPS), so I'll see if that makes a difference, thanks!
It looks like the main stream (3840x2160) FPS maxes out at 25, which it was already defaulted to.
I just noticed the bit rate is set to 256Kbps on the sub-stream. Should I increase that to 512Kbps?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Set both the main and sub streams to maximum, as high as they can go. The iframe rate needs to match in both the main and sub streams.

blaskovicz

n3wb
Reaction score
Set both the main and sub streams to maximum, as high as they can go. The iframe rate needs to match in both the main and sub streams.
Just to confirm - you're saying since the sub-stream is maxed at 15FPS and the main-stream is maxed at 25FPS, I should set both to 15FPS?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The frame rate and Iframe value must be the same on the main stream and the sub stream. The frame and Iframe value can be different.

Set everything to 15

blaskovicz

n3wb
Reaction score
I set everything to 15, but still no-go. I saw the "run test video through motion detector" option (maybe it was added recently) on playback, so I decided to give it a try. Trying to figure out why BI shows the frame in red (trigger?) yet I don't see a trigger in the feed. Included a screenie.

Attachments

blaskovicz

n3wb
Reaction score

I just made that change, appologies.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just wondering how things are working now with this Reolink...I was thinking of picking up one of these 820A cams...but read many comments of issues with it working well in Blueiris, especially when wanting to use the substreams...are yours now working perfectly?