No Motion Recording on Dahua Camera Connected to Hikvision NVR

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now I have found another problem. :/

My Dahua camera will record 24/7 on the Hikvision NVR but when I set it on Motion recording only, it does not work.

Is that "normal"?

Does it matter that the time on the camera is not the same as the NVR?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it configured as an ONVIF camera or Custom RTSP? Your using basic motion detection, not IVS right?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Dahua camera can record by motion detection with a Hikvision NVR?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you in the opposite situation, my Dahua NVR doesn't pick up motion events from my LTS (rebranded Hikvision) cameras. OVNIF manager says the cameras are sending the motion events. I'd suspect the OVNIF compliance by one or the other is a little out-of-spec. Or maybe they have software "poison pills" to purposely not work with the major competitor's hardware.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can tell you in the opposite situation, my Dahua NVR doesn't pick up motion events from my LTS (rebranded Hikvision) cameras. OVNIF manager says the cameras are sending the motion events. I'd suspect the OVNIF compliance by one or the other is a little out-of-spec. Or maybe they have software "poison pills" to purposely not work with the major competitor's hardware.
Oh ok. Yeah, I figured as much but I wanted to try and get someone's experience with it. Thx!

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Dahua camera can record by motion detection with a Hikvision NVR?
I can sort of answer that question with a "Yes".

I had Dahua HDW5231 operating on my Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P last night. The motion detection set up didn't function like it does for a Hikvision cam (there was no indication/ red squares lighting up to indicate motion detection was working on the set up screen.) After saving the settings it did record segments where there was motion. The video stream didn't seem to be full HD and the audio was garbled (probably incorrect settings) but it does work.

(I haven't been able to try and improve on the results because shortly after I upgraded the firmware on my NVR and have locked myself out.....)

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can sort of answer that question with a "Yes".

I had Dahua HDW5231 operating on my Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P last night. The motion detection set up didn't function like it does for a Hikvision cam (there was no indication/ red squares lighting up to indicate motion detection was working on the set up screen.) After saving the settings it did record segments where there was motion. The video stream didn't seem to be full HD and the audio was garbled (probably incorrect settings) but it does work.

(I haven't been able to try and improve on the results because shortly after I upgraded the firmware on my NVR and have locked myself out.....)

Hmmm. I set both of my Dahua cameras to motion and you're right, there was no indication on the setup screen that motion was working and unfortunately for me, there were also no recording segments at all even though I walked around in front of both cameras off/on all day. :/

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your gonna have to do all MD setup/config on the Dahua directly; The Hik NVR wont be able to do that; it just picks up the ONVIF signal that camera senses motion and records accordingly.. dont expect more than that.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your gonna have to do all MD setup/config on the Dahua directly; The Hik NVR wont be able to do that; it just picks up the ONVIF signal that camera senses motion and records accordingly.. dont expect more than that.
Oh ok. Great. I'll try it. Thx!

gareth

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 hikvision and 2 Dahua (soon to be 4) and one cheap Chinese camera. All work with motion. However. Since I first had my set up. When I had just one hikvision if I adjust the sensitivity of the motion it won't record motion until I reset the nvr. So I just leave it set to defult.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was running my system purely through the Hikvision NVR and hadn't hooked it up to my home network. However, after my NVR firmware upgrade went sour I've been using a laptop to look at all the settings. There are a lot of options using the web interface for the Hikvision cameras that can't be accessed on my Hikvision NVR (more options for motion detection set up, white balance etc.) It seems a bit silly that you can't access all the settings on the same brand NVR.

I've now got the upgraded NVR firmware working and it has even less settings accessible for the Hikvision cameras. So I've lost control of even more settings!? (Under "Image" things like control of the day/ night switching, IR light control, noise reduction are all gone.)

I'll be reconnecting my Dahua camera today and will report back on how it goes. Like Nayr said, all I did was use the Dahua software on a PC to set the camera to the right address and other desired settings. I then connected it to the Hikvision NVR using ONVIF.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I've reconnected the Dahua and got it running but there's one small issue....

I've changed the default password using the Dahua config app with the cam hooked up to my PC. I then disconnect it and reconnect it to my Hikvision NVR, power it up and the password has defaulted back to "admin". :mad: I've wasted half a day going backwards and forwards and still get the same result. The password is definitely changed on my PC (verified as I can't log into the cam using the default), but when I connect it to my NVR the new password has vanished and only the default will work.

Any ideas???

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone please help with suggestions on why the playback at 1x would be sluggish with the Dahua (noticeable speed variation via audio and time stamp); but 2x seems fine with a constant playback speed (except no audio- which I'm guessing is normal.) It's probably some set up parameter I've overlooked - newbie alert....

I've got a DS-7608NI-I2/8P with 4 x DS2CD2342WD-I (4MP) and the single Dahua HDW5231RP-Z S2 (1080). The playback on the HikVisions is fine, I have got all the video quality set high on all of them.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 2 hikvision and 2 Dahua (soon to be 4) and one cheap Chinese camera. All work with motion. However. Since I first had my set up. When I had just one hikvision if I adjust the sensitivity of the motion it won't record motion until I reset the nvr. So I just leave it set to defult.
Ah, ok. I thought about the motion sensitivity. I had adjusted that so I'll reset to default and see if that works. Thx!

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wapaper59 check your recording schedule (under the "Recording" menu option) for the Dahua and make sure it's set to "Motion" (green) and not the default "Continuous" (blue). I've got mine hooked up again and have now got the motion triggering recording and the Hikvision NVR can select what areas of the screen to ignore for motion detection with the Dahua! I'm pretty happy with that.

My sluggish playback is also audio related. If I mute the audio on the playback screen everything plays perfectly at 1x, if I turn the audio back on as soon as there is any audio playback the vision (and audio) stalls/ slows down. The funny bit is if I mute it again (still at normal playback speed) the video speeds up by itself until it catches up to what must be the proper playback time and then it plays perfectly again!? o_O Possibly an audio codec issue??? I noticed there are a few to choose from on the camera.

Edit: Audio types supported are G722.1 and G711 according to the manual.

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some more info for anyone interested (keeping in mind my networking skills are pretty basic.)

Using this procedure it mentions about using an NVR's POE ports to access the cameras and also about setting up the NVR as a "virtual host" to enable access directly to the cameras via the NVR's web login (ie. via it's LAN port.) The Hikvision NVR does allocate an address under "virtual host" to all the cameras but the Dahua camera fails to connect, all the Hikvisions are fine. Using the POE port method and then running Dahua's config tool you can access the Dahua's login page and access all the settings.

I've experimented with the audio sampling rate and type, that's definitely the cause of the slow playback. AAC 32k seems like the best option, the video speed is fine and the voices don't sound like they're a prank call from a horror movie sound track!

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wapaper59 check your recording schedule (under the "Recording" menu option) for the Dahua and make sure it's set to "Event" (green) and not the default "Continuous" (blue). I've got mine hooked up again and have now got the motion event triggering recording and the Hikvision NVR can select what areas of the screen to ignore for motion detection with the Dahua! I'm pretty happy with that.

My sluggish playback is also audio related. If I mute the audio on the playback screen everything plays perfectly at 1x, if I turn the audio back on as soon as there is any audio playback the vision (and audio) stalls/ slows down. The funny bit is if I mute it again (still at normal playback speed) the video speeds up by itself until it catches up to what must be the proper playback time and then it plays perfectly again!? o_O Possibly an audio codec issue??? I noticed there are a few to choose from on the camera.
Yeah, I checked that and they are set to Event. So then I logged into the Dahua Config Tool and set the cameras up for Motion but the cameras will not "save" the changes for some reason. The program says the changes were made and saved but when I go back into setup, it still says continuous recording for some reason so the changes were not made.