No signal and not recording?

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My PC that hold BI is connected to my router via wifi.

I have a wifi router(Almond) on the PC side. Now, when the Almond goes down or my wifi in general, seem like BI stops recording and I get a message on the screen, error no signal.

What to do?

thanks,
Frank

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The PC, camera, and Almond are all connected to a common router. I would think, taking the Almond out would still have my camera working?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The PC, camera, and Almond are all connected to a common router. I would think, taking the Almond out would still have my camera working?
you need to wire the pc to the router or better yet to the switch the cameras are connected to. Sending a bunch of camera streams via wifi to the pc is not going to work out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most Wifi IP camera are 2.4Ghz only high end are equipped with 5Ghz. IP camera came out this year are seem handle wifi signal much better than older models. Even without changes to router/wifi network, the newer camera gives better stable connection and higher throughput, despite still 2.4Ghz. I think earlier years manufacture must have been cheap on the camera's wifi chips.
That is simply incorrect and you would still have poor performance using a Wi-Fi camera at 5 gigahertz. Setting that aside you are confused about the issue here. He is connecting the computer itself via Wi-Fi to the router. This is just a bad idea and will never work 100% of the time.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
vague network descriptions will get you vague answers...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought most WiFi cams used 2.4g as it generally has better range and the signals travels through solid objects like walls better and not because they needed the extra bandwidth. Can’t comment on reliability as I’ve never used a WiFi cam but have used plenty of WiFi devices and if the setup, range and coverage is poor it doesn’t matter on 2.4g, 5g or the device and chipset you’ll get a pretty crap experience with lots of pauses, delays and reconnects.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bottom line, if you expect to depend on your security camera system, do not use WIFI for any portion of it.
As fenderman said, your network should be setup as follows.
All cameras plugged into the proper POE Switch.
One cable from that same POE switch, should connect to the BI computer.
Another cable should connect from the same POE switch, and connect to a port on the router.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
yet I have and I have to. I put a camera far away on the tree where the powerline is all over the yard I can't image to deploy cat6 cable all over again. The moral of this is that most home user don't have the luxury to install cables like a typical commercial building does. But the popularity of home surveillance demands NVR like BI.

Alternatively there are Nest or Amazon cloud cam if you don't mind privacy, which come with reliable face/person detection and seem just fine with wifi. There, your proof wifi is not a problem as google and amazon have demonstrated.
I never said what you are stating above, in fact I actually stressed that I had never used WiFi cams.

I simply commented on why there were more 2.4g cams than 5g and the type of problems I had encountered when using WiFi.

All of what I typed was based upon on my own personal experience and not regurgitating search results from google or amazon? I have better things to do with my life.

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Yes, it is originally connected the way many of you guys have said. Probably didn't make that clear. But to repeat again, PC, camera, Almond are all connected to a POE switch. I am not streaming or using the camera over wifi.

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bottom line, if you expect to depend on your security camera system, do not use WIFI for any portion of it.

As fenderman said, your network should be setup as follows.
All cameras plugged into the proper POE Switch.
One cable from that same POE switch, should connect to the BI computer.
Another cable should connect from the same POE switch, and connect to a port on the router.
Sorry, it isn't connected to a router. It is connected to a POE switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HZFY3F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you need to wire the pc to the router or better yet to the switch the cameras are connected to. Sending a bunch of camera streams via wifi to the pc is not going to work out.
BI PC connected to 4 port POE switch, camera connected to the same switch, and Almond (wifi router) connected to the same switch. Sorry if I didn't word properly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI PC connected to 4 port POE switch, camera connected to the same switch, and Almond (wifi router) connected to the same switch. Sorry if I didn't word properly.
What are you using the almond for?

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are you using the almond for?
I use the almond to have internet access for the BI PC. This way, I get text/email notification. This BI PC is located outside and would be very impractical to have an Ethernet cable running outside to the house.

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If almond is your wifi router (it's also router for wire or wireless), then your entire network will be down almost is offline. Doesn't matter any devices, camera, pc or anything on your network, they're all loosing connection to internet as well as to each other, plain simple.

Router meaning it route network, unless you have two of your devices directly wired to each other, everything on your network first needs to be routed to find others. So when almond is offline, nothing gets routed or connected.

Make sense?
Make sense. But I think I did that. Let me double check!

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sense. But I think I did that. Let me double check!
So I did double check and the connections are as everyone has suggested. I did more investigating. What I did is try to reproduce the problem by disconnecting the Almond. Well, the system was still recording and didn't get that "no signal" error. I connected the Almond back and disconnected the Dahua Ethernet cable from the POE. Then I got the "no signal" message. As a result, I conclude that the issue was the camera. However, I have not gotten the "no signal" error since posting the original post.