No sound when selecting "Play live audio" in Blue Iris

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I RDP into my server that doesn't have a physical sound card installed. I use the remote audio sound device. I can here all sounds within the OS just fine. I can also hear audio when playing clips in blue iris, and also exported clip play audio in windows media player as well. I can hear live audio via webserver and also via BI android app. In BI audio output is set to not specified. The only other option for audio output is "Remote Audio" but when I select it and click OK it reverts back to not specified. Not the biggest deal in the world but a little annoying. Any ideas?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been trying RDP lately too and I have the same results you have. Sounds, alerts work ok in TeamViewer but TeamViewer uses more resources so I was trying RDP. If I find any solution I will post it here.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well all the sounds work in RDP for me. Including clip playback but just not the live audio. Is this what you are seeing?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct. No live audio, I also have an alert that sounds on the front porch camera when triggered, but no sound over RDP on that alert either.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Something I just noticed, if I access the audio capable cameras with a browser on my Blue Iris machine through RDP I can hear live audio . It's only when using Blue Iris through RDP that I can't hear live audio. I'm not sure what this means and you may have already noticed it, but I thought I would mention it for what it's worth. I may have to go back to TeamViewer but I would rather use RDP if possible.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Something I just noticed, if I access the audio capable cameras with a browser on my Blue Iris machine through RDP I can hear live audio . It's only when using Blue Iris through RDP that I can't hear live audio. I'm not sure what this means and you may have already noticed it, but I thought I would mention it for what it's worth. I may have to go back to TeamViewer but I would rather use RDP if possible.
Hadn't noticed that before but I can confirm that this is indeed the same with me. Odd.

guccifer

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me add to this... Also no live audio when RDP into BlueIris server. However, I found that this is only the case when running as a Windows service. If you start just the console (no service) I get live volume via RDP.

I ofund this out over a year ago and contacted the developer. Here was my email and answer from support:

Good afternoon.

Can you help me with an issue please?

I'm running Blue Iris on a remote computer (no monitor/keyboard/etc). To access the computer, I use Microsoft's RDP. Works fine, except when I run Blue Iris as a service, in which case have get no audio.

To be clear, I get audio remoting into the server when Blue Iris isn't running as a service. Changing it to run as a service - then no audio.

I'm specifically interested in having Blue Iris run as a service so it will start if there is a power failure.

Thanks,
Dean

Blue Iris Support
to me

3/15/17

Thanks for the inquiry Dean, however I am afraid this may fall under the category of something that I may not be able to fix. Is this also the case with other remote desktop software like Teamviewer? I have used that successfully in the past to listen to camera audio.

Thanks

Ken

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me add to this... Also no live audio when RDP into BlueIris server. However, I found that this is only the case when running as a Windows service. If you start just the console (no service) I get live volume via RDP.

I ofund this out over a year ago and contacted the developer. Here was my email and answer from support:

Good afternoon.

Can you help me with an issue please?

I'm running Blue Iris on a remote computer (no monitor/keyboard/etc). To access the computer, I use Microsoft's RDP. Works fine, except when I run Blue Iris as a service, in which case have get no audio.

To be clear, I get audio remoting into the server when Blue Iris isn't running as a service. Changing it to run as a service - then no audio.

I'm specifically interested in having Blue Iris run as a service so it will start if there is a power failure.

Thanks,
Dean

Blue Iris Support
to me

3/15/17

Thanks for the inquiry Dean, however I am afraid this may fall under the category of something that I may not be able to fix. Is this also the case with other remote desktop software like Teamviewer? I have used that successfully in the past to listen to camera audio.

Thanks

Ken
Are you aware of this nifty viewer: Blue Iris UI3 beta test is now open!

guccifer

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the link looney2ns.

When running BI as a service, this viewer DOES in fact allow you to hear the sound. Odd -- but I'm not questioning success.

Ethrex

n3wb
Reaction score
Old thread, but I wanted to revisit this in the case somebody has a solution.

I have the same setup: Audio works when playing in the live view in the web interface, or playing back clips in the web interface and also via RDP. However when attempting to listen to audio in the live view via RDP, there is no audio. Blue Iris is setup as Windows Service as others have said. Blue Iris is version 5.2.

Is there any way to get live audio to work over RDP?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will only get live audio over RDP if you do not run it as a service. You could go in, disable the service, close BI and open BI again and then have sound. Just remember to re-enable the service when done.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You will only get live audio over RDP if you do not run it as a service. You could go in, disable the service, close BI and open BI again and then have sound. Just remember to re-enable the service when done.
Are you sure about this? I always connect to my BI server via RDP, both from my phone and from another machine and I get sound and run BI as a service.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I take that back Over RDP Clips have sound but live view doesn’t, never ever noticed that before but I do get sound in live view when using the iOS app.

Last edited:

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use RDP and always get live audio from BI Live View. Maybe check your RDP settings.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I get sound on recorded clips, just no live audio when I select a specific cam.

Will check again tomorrow and connect to the server from my laptop.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do a search on this forum - it has been well documented on here that RDP and as a service you do not get sound on live. You do get it for clips. Even the BI developer quoted in post #7 above has said that is a limitation.

If you want live sound, use either UI3 or the app for android or apple, or do not run as a service. Maybe some other remote logins allow sound, but I haven't tried those.

@tdwilli1 - please provide screenshots on how you are setup to get audio on live feed through RDP with BI running as a service. In particular this screenshot. If I uncheck the first box "Run as a Windows service" and exit out and open BI back up, then I get live sound, but if I check the box, exit out and come back in, the sound is gone. I am not aware of any settings in RDP to change.

1591549336385.png

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not running it as a service... :facepalm:

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am glad I went looking on forums before tearing my hair out looking for settings.
Thanks to post #7 I can just accept this is a limitation of running as a service. I would rather no audio on live view than and to have it start automatically on a reboot rather than have BI not running. :)
I'll use UI3 if I need to hear the camera.

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what is UI3 please
UI3 is the web interface for Blue Iris.
Open your web browser and go to http://yourblueirisip:BIport/
As long as you have the option to use UI3 ticked in Blue Iris Settings / Web Server, you will be presented with the UI3 interface.

You can port forward, if you know what you are doing, to access this externally as well, but I don't really advise that unless you know what you are doing and setup SSL properly