No videos on BI app..

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I get alerts on my BI app on my Samsung smartphone I press it to watch clip, but it won't play the clip as if it's not a clip but as if its only a photo. This started all of a sudden on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue on their smartphone?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just went back to Google play store, and apparently this is a know issue with this latest version update. Hopefully BI fixes it.

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Just went back to Google play store, and apparently this is a know issue with this latest version update. Hopefully BI fixes it.
Lots of comments in the play store about it. Not sure what, if anything is being done.

The blurb for the app has been amended and now states "In order to make use of this app, you must have Blue Iris version 4.x installed."

Pretty lame to drop support for legacy versions with no warning if that is the case.

I've emailed to ask about it but have had no response.....

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty crappie to force everyone to purchase your upgraded version whether they like it or not. I don't like 4 which is why I personally still use 3! Especially since I think that if it wasn't for this forum, BI would be no where near as popular as it is!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of comments in the play store about it. Not sure what, if anything is being done.

The blurb for the app has been amended and now states "In order to make use of this app, you must have Blue Iris version 4.x installed."

Pretty lame to drop support for legacy versions with no warning if that is the case.

I've emailed to ask about it but have had no response.....
Keep in mind that there is a single developer for blue iris...I believe he farms out the android mobile app development to someone else. All this comes at a cost. Blue iris was and is insanely cheap. Asking you to pony up 30 dollars for a newer version 4 years after v3 was initially released in not unreasonable - there is a limit to how long older versions can be supported. It talks considerable amount of work to tailor new app released to support both versions. Alternatively you can purchase other VMS software that charge 50-150 PER camera and provide only 90 days of updates and support unless you purchase their costly support packages. V4 has TONS of improvements including the timeline and security enhancements. Hardware acceleration is coming soon as well. 30 dollars for an upgrade every few years is nothing. Do it, it wont kill you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty crappie to force everyone to purchase your upgraded version whether they like it or not. I don't like 4 which is why I personally still use 3! Especially since I think that if it wasn't for this forum, BI would be no where near as popular as it is!
V4 is better than v3 in every way. What dont you like about v4?
For the record, BI was popular well before this forum. Its the only reasonably priced vms with this many features.

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there is a single developer for blue iris...I believe he farms out the android mobile app development to someone else. All this comes at a cost. Blue iris was and is insanely cheap. Asking you to pony up 30 dollars for a newer version 4 years after v3 was initially released in not unreasonable - there is a limit to how long older versions can be supported. It talks considerable amount of work to tailor new app released to support both versions. Alternatively you can purchase other VMS software that charge 50-150 PER camera and provide only 90 days of updates and support unless you purchase their costly support packages. V4 has TONS of improvements including the timeline and security enhancements. Hardware acceleration is coming soon as well. 30 dollars for an upgrade every few years is nothing. Do it, it wont kill you.
How the developer runs his business is not of any concern to me. As a paying customer who purchased software and 2 copies of the 'official' app 18 months ago, I expect it to work. If an update to the app will break compatibility, I expect to be advised so that I can decide if I want to update the app or not.

Why should I be forced to upgrade when I was perfectly happy with the system I paid for 18 months ago? Expecting someone to pay for an upgrade they don't need is, in fact, entirely unreasonable. I'd go as far as saying that by definition it could be described as 'extortionate'. I don't need the extra bells and whistles of v4, thanks. I monitor my sleeping baby and my front door.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that you purchased on the tail end of a release is irrelevant.. The developer is not required to provide lifetime support. So the question becomes how long... A year after a new version is released is an acceptable term... 30 dollars is practically free in the vms software arena... If you don't like it move to another product and see how it works out for you... It boggles my mind when I see folks complain that they have to spend a whopping 30 dollars every 3 or four years.. Boo hoo.. Stop being so cheap. There new functions and features benefit the user base as a whole... The developer should not have to do extra work to support holdouts...The security enhancements alone should make you want to upgrade. Appreciate that you got blue iris so inexpensively in the first place and all the hard work he puts in with free updates monthly... Instead all I see is ungrateful complaints about a measly 10 dollars a year...

Reaction score
The fact that you purchased on the tail end of a release is irrelevant.. The developer is not required to provide lifetime support. So the question becomes how long... A year after a new version is released is an acceptable term... 30 dollars is practically free in the vms software arena... If you don't like it move to another product and see how it works out for you... It boggles my mind when I see folks complain that they have to spend a whopping 30 dollars every 3 or four years.. Boo hoo.. Stop being so cheap. There new functions and features benefit the user base as a whole... The developer should not have to do extra work to support holdouts...The security enhancements alone should make you want to upgrade. Appreciate that you got blue iris so inexpensively in the first place and all the hard work he puts in with free updates monthly... Instead all I see is ungrateful complaints about a measly 10 dollars a year...
I fully agree. BI is the best NVR package there is. Having this many options, regular updates etc... you won't find this anywhere else.

Atoombunker

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
We're clearly viewing from two very different standpoints. As an end user who seeks basic functionality, all I'm interested in is a stable product that continues to function reliably. The software is great. The let down is the Android App. If I'd known the app would break functionality I wouldn't have updated. Now, how hard is it to provide a download of a previous version apk or allow users to roll back? That would be great.

Your attitude towards this is very assuming and arrogant. Do you have a vested interest in the software? Why do you assume that everyone should want to upgrade? What makes you think that people are being cheap because they don't feel the need to upgrade? All these points you're trying to make are very subjective and come across as if you believe that you are the definitive voice of reason on the subject.

As I said previously, I'm a very undemanding end user. I'm not suggesting the developer should do extra work. Quite the opposite in my case. As far as I'm concerned I got my money's worth when I paid 18 months ago. I just want the product I paid for 18 months ago.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We're clearly viewing from two very different standpoints. As an end user who seeks basic functionality, all I'm interested in is a stable product that continues to function reliably. The software is great. The let down is the Android App. If I'd known the app would break functionality I wouldn't have updated. Now, how hard is it to provide a download of a previous version apk or allow users to roll back? That would be great.

Your attitude towards this is very assuming and arrogant. Do you have a vested interest in the software? Why do you assume that everyone should want to upgrade? What makes you think that people are being cheap because they don't feel the need to upgrade? All these points you're trying to make are very subjective and come across as if you believe that you are the definitive voice of reason on the subject.

As I said previously, I'm a very undemanding end user. I'm not suggesting the developer should do extra work. Quite the opposite in my case. As far as I'm concerned I got my money's worth when I paid 18 months ago. I just want the product I paid for 18 months ago.

I don't think that's unreasonable.
Lets get something strait. I dont have any vested interest in blue iris. I am in no way associated with the company or developer. I resent your accusation. The reason why I am passionate about blue iris is that its FREAKING amazing for the price. I have used 100 PER camera software. Blue iris is superior for most applications. Blue iris would be a bargain at 300. You dont understand the VMS software arena so you are not appreciating what you are getting at this bargain price. This guy puts in tons of man hours to improve BI...this is not some huge conglomerate. Understand that.

How long should the developer continue to support a legacy software version? I dont care whether you feel the need for added features or not. Most users benefit from it. Therefore, there are now two versions of the software that need to be supported by a single app. That takes lots of work. What part of that dont you understand. So the developer supported both for a year after the release of v4. A 30 dollar upgrade is not asking for too much. Bitching and moaning about 30 dollars sounds ridiculous. Start looking for a new VMS. Lets us know when you find something that works out better for you.
If the app was adequate before the update, then it begs the question WHY did you update in the first place.

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Lets get something strait. I dont have any vested interest in blue iris. I am in no way associated with the company or developer. I resent your accusation. The reason why I am passionate about blue iris is that its FREAKING amazing for the price. I have used 100 PER camera software. Blue iris is superior for most applications. Blue iris would be a bargain at 300. You dont understand the VMS software arena so you are not appreciating what you are getting at this bargain price. This guy puts in tons of man hours to improve BI...this is not some huge conglomerate. Understand that.

How long should the developer continue to support a legacy software version? I dont care whether you feel the need for added features or not. Most users benefit from it. Therefore, there are now two versions of the software that need to be supported by a single app. That takes lots of work. What part of that dont you understand. So the developer supported both for a year after the release of v4. A 30 dollar upgrade is not asking for too much. Bitching and moaning about sounds ridiculous. Start looking for a new VMS. Lets us know when you find something that works out better for you.
If the app was adequate before the update, then it begs the question WHY did you update in the first place.
You really go the extra mile in defending your product, man. I'll give you that :)

Let me break it down again:

1. I agree that it's a great piece of software, as I keep repeating. No need to be so defensive and fanboyish.

2. I understand the excellent value I'm getting with Blue Iris, that's why I bought it instead of other NVR software.

3. I'm not asking for continued legacy support - the option to remain on a compatible app version would be great though.

4. I updated as I wasn't made aware that the latest version of the app was incompatible with Blue Iris v3. It doesn't state this anywhere in the app changelog either, as far as I'm aware. Do you carefully pore over changelogs or check that an app will still work if you update it? I don't.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You really go the extra mile in defending your product, man. I'll give you that :)

Let me break it down again:

1. I agree that it's a great piece of software, as I keep repeating. No need to be so defensive and fanboyish.

2. I understand the excellent value I'm getting with Blue Iris, that's why I bought it instead of other NVR software.

3. I'm not asking for continued legacy support - the option to remain on a compatible app version would be great though.

4. I updated as I wasn't made aware that the latest version of the app was incompatible with Blue Iris v3. It doesn't state this anywhere in the app changelog either, as far as I'm aware.
Its not my product. How dense are you?
You seem to go the extra mile to bitch and moan. This is not a huge corporation like Microsoft. Its one guy in his basement.
Stop complaining about 30 freaking dollars and buy the upgrade. Enough already. It sickens me to see folks bitch and moan like this over pennies, particularity when the new version has tons of extra features and many more to be added over the next two years (likely the term of V4)...
You did have the option to stay with the old app, you should have disabled auto update. If you updated manual, then why? I though everything was just fine?

Also note that the app still works with v3...its just that the alert playback does not work. You can go into the calendar and play back the clips that way.

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Its not my product. How dense are you?
You seem to go the extra mile to bitch and moan. This is not a huge corporation like Microsoft. Its one guy in his basement.
Stop complaining about 30 freaking dollars and buy the upgrade. Enough already. It sickens me to see folks bitch and moan like this over pennies, particularity when the new version has tons of extra features and many more to be added over the next two years (likely the term of V4)...
You did have the option to stay with the old app, you should have disabled auto update. If you updated manual, then why? I though everything was just fine?

Also note that the app still works with v3...its just that the alert playback does not work. You can go into the calendar and play back the clips that way.
There you go again with that fanboy attitude :(

Pull your nose out of the blue iris sphincter and take a look around. I'm not bitching or moaning. This is a troubleshooting and support forum. You're helping with neither.

I'm keeping it polite. You're dishing out blame and moaning about people not spending money on your favourite software :confused2:

If you can't help, leave it to those who can.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There you go again with that fanboy attitude :(

Pull your nose out of the blue iris sphincter and take a look around. I'm not bitching or moaning. This is a troubleshooting and support forum. You're helping with neither.

I'm keeping it polite. You're dishing out blame and moaning about people not spending money on your favourite software :confused2:

If you can't help, leave it to those who can.
Look buddy, there is no help for you. The cause of your problem is cheapness. Its a mental illness. You can bitch and moan all day on this forum. There is no technical solution for this. NO ONE can help you. How do you think someone here will help? Either pony up the huge sum of 30 dollars or go sulk on your own.

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Look buddy, there is no help for you. The cause of your problem is cheapness. Its a mental illness. You can bitch and moan all day on this forum. There is no technical solution for this. NO ONE can help you. How do you think someone here will help? Either pony up the huge sum of 30 dollars or go sulk on your own.
I thought the developer goes above and beyond to provide the holy grail of NVR software? Surely that involves listening to his customers? This is the forum suggested on the Blue Iris website. I'm sure he checks it every few minutes and write all comments down in a fancy moleskine notebook.

Thanks for the sage advice though, you really know where it's at :nuts:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the developer goes above and beyond to provide the holy grail of NVR software? Surely that involves listening to his customers? This is the forum suggested on the Blue Iris website. I'm sure he checks it every few minutes and write all comments down in a fancy moleskine notebook.

Thanks for the sage advice though, you really know where it's at :nuts:
Wrong again.. He has repeatedly told folks via email that he does not monitor any forum... Stop being a tightwad and give up Starbucks for a few days... Yes his customers want updates, new features and don't mind paying 30 dollars for upgrades once every few years. You have demonstrated that you refuse to ever upgrade so why should he spend time and money helping you. Go sulk on your own.

Jon Gruitt

n3wb
Reaction score
Wrong again.. He has repeatedly told folks via email that he does not monitor any forum... Stop being a tightwad and give up Starbucks for a few days... Yes his customers want updates, new features and don't mind paying 30 dollars for upgrades once every few years. You have demonstrated that you refuse to ever upgrade so why should he spend time and money helping you. Go sulk on your own.
I don't mind upgrading if I see the need. I'm not sure when I 'demonstrated that I refuse to ever upgrade'. You're so moany and bitchy about wanting people to spend money. This is what I imagine a conversation in real life would be like between us:

ME: Hey man. Do you like my car? I just got it 18 months ago. I bought a cool stereo for it too but they just updated the firmware so it doesn't connect to my phone any more.

YOU: BUY A NEW CAR YOU CHEAPSKATE.

ME: But....my car works fine, it's just the firmware in my stereo that's the issue.....

YOU: STOP BUYING FOOD AND BUY A NEW CAR YOU FREAKING TIGHTWAD.

ME: Cool.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind upgrading if I see the need. I'm not sure when I 'demonstrated that I refuse to ever upgrade'. You're so moany and bitchy about wanting people to spend money. This is what I imagine a conversation in real life would be like between us:

ME: Hey man. Do you like my car? I just got it 18 months ago. I bought a cool stereo for it too but they just updated the firmware so it doesn't connect to my phone any more.

YOU: BUY A NEW CAR YOU CHEAPSKATE.

ME: But....my car works fine, it's just the firmware in my stereo that's the issue.....

YOU: STOP BUYING FOOD AND BUY A NEW CAR YOU FREAKING TIGHTWAD.

ME: Cool.
Except that this is 30 dollars not 30k. Furthermore, keeping your car does not require the manufacturer to do any extra work but nice try... Again your rants will not help you.... You will not get anywhere complaining... You will be forced to upgrade...