No WAN visibility

Reaction score
I am installing a BI-based system (2 Hiks and one Amcrest, so far) at a remote facility that does not have direct Internet access. We are using an LTE modem (Netgear LB 1120) to connect to the Internet via the Verizon wireless network. We will be closely monitoring our data usage. The host PC is a Dell OptiPlex 3020 with Core i5-4590 running Windows 10 Pro. We're using a rather old Netgear WNDR 3400 router with the Internet jack connected to the LTE modem. I believe I've correctly set the static address and port forwarding for the host PC per the BI remote access wizard. In the wizard dialog I'm seeing the expected router LAN address (192.168 ..) and Internet/WAN address (174.204...) on port 81. I am seeing the same 174.204 ... WAN address when I check the various "What's my IP" websites. However, the wizard remote access test fails, as does checking canyouseeme.org. The LTE modem was initially set to the default Router Mode, but I have since set it to Bridge Mode with IP pass through (IPPT); and the remote access test still fails. While grappling with the web server remote access issue, I thought I could set up the text message alert capability, so we could be alerted of any intruders at the remote site. I have tested this with the gmail SMTP server (I set up a Gmail account specific to the site) and Verizon carrier specifications. I am receiving alert text messages on my phone but the messages indicate that the "attachments (i.e., JPEGs) have been removed". I'm not sure whether this is a separate problem or related to the WAN remote access issue. I did notice that that in selecting "Verizon" from the drop down list that there was no companion "Verizon MMS" in the Camera > Alert SMS text message configuration that I'm using in a successful BI web server implementation at my residence. I would be grateful for any suggestions for resolution of the remote access and text / JPEG alert message issues.

Reaction score
Upon revisiting the remote site, I found that there is, in fact, a "Verizon MMS" in the Alert option pull-down list. My bad for not seeing this initially. Selecting this option fixed the text message alert issue. I still have no remote access to the BI web server. I believe it's a port-forwarding issue with the Netgear WNDR 3400 router. I've followed the process described by portforward.com, installed the latest firmware update for the WDR 3400, rebooted the router - all to no avail. I have successfully set up a BI web server at my residence using an Arris TG1682G cable modem/router from Comcast. With the Arris, I forwarded two ports: HTTP port 80 for my desktop PC and port 81 for BI. With the Netgear WNDR 3400 at the remote site, I forwarded port 81 for BI, but could not forward port 80 for the PC. The router gives a message " ... attempt failed. Specified ports are already being used by other applications ..." I'm wondering if anyone else has bumped into this same problem.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Verizon probably blocks your inbound traffic, specifically to keep people from running servers on their cellular network.

The way around it is to install a VPN client at the remote facility, and connect it to a VPN server at a location that allows inbound traffic. Then you can forward or proxy the traffic through the VPN tunnel to the remote site.

I have set up several such systems before. In one case, the VPN client is a router running Tomato firmware from here: Tomato by Shibby » Alternatywne oprogramowamie na routery It has OpenVPN client capability and it does a good job of staying connected and reconnecting after service outages. This setup was a bit complicated, though.

A simpler way to do it, specifically when you have a Windows PC at the remote location, is to install an easier VPN-like program such as LogMeIn Hamachi or NeoRouter. You should also make sure you've got remote access software like TeamViewer or Chrome Remote Desktop to use as a backup access method.

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the tip. This will give me a new road to venture down. I have bruises on my forehead from banging my head against the wall.

Cheers.