Non-admin login to IP5M-B1186EW-28MM: "Authority:check failure"

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an Amcrest IP5M-B1186EW-28MM staring at my garden, and I have a computer calling cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi every 10 minutes:

Code:
crontab -l
*/10 * * * * cd /usr/local/bin && ./AmcrestSnapshot.sh 192.168.1.54 ~/CornLapse/
Code:
cat AmcrestSnapshot.sh
#!/bin/bash

IPAddress=$1
OutPath=$2

cd /usr/local/bin

outfile=$OutPath
outfile+=$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S)
outfile+=.jpg
echo $outfile
curl -o $outfile --digest --user anonymous1:password1 "$IPAddress/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi"
so I can assemble a time-lapse like I did in 2022:

I snapped photos every 10 minutes, but used only the noon photos (± 1 minute due to uncertainty in the timer) for the time lapse. I also had to do some post-processing because I moved the camera part-way through, which is why the timestamp starts off tilted. But it all worked for months.

For some reason it stopped working a few months ago, and all I got was text files containing:

Code:
Error
Authority:check failure.
If I paste
in my browser and enter anonymous1 and password1, I get the same error text. I know these are valid credentials, because I can log into with them, and I can view video, but I can't administer the camera.

If I change "anonymous1:password1" in my script to my admin login, then it works, but I don't like having my admin credentials in a script.

I know this used to work, because I have the linked video above, and I was surprised when I saw a bunch of 33 kB "images" in the folder instead of the expected ~700 kB files.

I know the credentials were anonymous1:password1, because I had to change them to make the script work again.

I have not updated the firmware in forever.

Anyone know what the root cause of this is, and how to fix it so it works with non-admin credentials again?