Non-permanent security/alarm system

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I want to build a security system that is possible to move around. Like a temporary CCTV/security system you see on building sites and the like.

Needs:
- 3-6 cameras
- motion sensors (separate of the cameras)
- Lights triggered by the motion sensors
- A speaker giving a warning when the motion sensors trigger.
- An alarm-out function that I can configure as I want to. Possibility to send alarms to me or maybe even to an alarm central.
- UPS triggering alarm at external power loss
- Wireless connectivity to motion sensors/(some of the) cameras

I know my way around NVRs and DI/DO's. I have no idea, however, what should be the backbone of my system. I need to eliminate false motion alarms. So more motion sensors and a set of rules like "only sound alarm if sensor 1+2 are activated" are probably needed.
I can use a simple 4G router for outbound connectivity.

My questions therefore are:
- Am I looking for a capable NVR or should I use a PC running BlueIris or the like? Or something completely different?
- What kind of motion sensors should I look for?
- How can I configure a speaker to play a recording on command / on alarm?
- What kind of outbound alarm "protocol" is the most reliable? App notification? Email? Other? It needs to wake a person up in time for him to react

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like you need an alarm and camera system that works together.

I use milestone and tie it to my alarm motion sensors with Barix Barionet 100. I use outdoor DSC LC171 sensors and optex beam sensors, when triggered, it creates a Milestone app alert on my phone and tablet, emails me photos from the cameras near the sensor, and could SMS me at same time if I wanted.

Barix allows me to create rules, only alert or email when all exterior doors are closed.

Barix has products with audio capabilities and could easily play your recording.

If you wanted it to be monitored by an alarm company, find out who would provide the service. If you are mobile, they may not like that. Get a panel with internet reporting with cellular backup.

It's not an easy setup to build, but that's the direction I'd go.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
I will look into the Barix products together with DSC motion detectors. How will I go about having the sensors/Barix NOT wired to the Milestone PC?
I want to be able to place the sensors on the other side of a building site without breaking the cable every other week.

Also, what version of Milestone supports this kind of alarm functions and not just VMS?

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Xprotect Express, it supports the Barix as a device, it needs to be licensed like a camera. It connects via ethernet to the Milestone Server/PC .

You can hardwire your sensors to the Barionet 100 and just have ethernet from all cameras and Barionet 100 to your Milestone. You can expand from the barionet 100 with the Barix X8 to add more sensors, using RS485, if you have more than 4 sensors.

Milestone supports other I/O devices, like Acromag XT1111 and a few others.

Reaction score
Sounds like you need an alarm and camera system that works together.

I use milestone and tie it to my alarm motion sensors with Barix Barionet 100. I use outdoor DSC LC171 sensors and optex beam sensors, when triggered, it creates a Milestone app alert on my phone and tablet, emails me photos from the cameras near the sensor, and could SMS me at same time if I wanted.

Barix allows me to create rules, only alert or email when all exterior doors are closed.

Barix has products with audio capabilities and could easily play your recording.

If you wanted it to be monitored by an alarm company, find out who would provide the service. If you are mobile, they may not like that. Get a panel with internet reporting with cellular backup.

It's not an easy setup to build, but that's the direction I'd go.
I need a system like this for my house. Can you guide me through the setup and the things I'll need?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I could do a write-up on the configuration. For a basic start, you need Milestone Server running Express. It might work with Essential, but you can only use 7 of the 8 cameras, as the Barionet takes the spot of a camera.

Reaction score
I could do a write-up on the configuration. For a basic start, you need Milestone Server running Express. It might work with Essential, but you can only use 7 of the 8 cameras, as the Barionet takes the spot of a camera.
Oh ok. Cool. I'll love to have that write up

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another option is to use cameras with alarm inputs, then wire the PIR sensor to the camera's alarm input. Eliminates the need for the Barionet.

I'll start on a write up soon.