Noob from California

Guthdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking on the site for awhile now trying to understand security camera systems since my business was robbed.

Spoke to my security alarm vendor and they said they would be happy to install a system for about $1K and an additional $65/month, (nice work if you can get it).

Anyhow, looking forward to learning more, thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...i doubt they will be installing anything decent for 1k....How many cameras was that quote for? You want at least 720p and better yet 3mp ip cameras...not analog cams..before you get anything installed post the specs here.
What the heck are they charging you 65 dollars a month for?

Guthdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Four cameras. My impression is that they offered the service for anyone who wanted it, but aren't really trying to expand that side of their business, (big company, good service on the alarm side). I assumed some level of monitoring of the cameras for that amount of $, but no joy...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep on reading and learning...even if you dont install the cams yourself you will know what to look for in system...let us know if you have any questions..

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, $1K for 4 cameras, recording, monitoring. Many installers charge 5-10x for that, but of course quality varies.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, $1K for 4 cameras, recording, monitoring. Many installers charge 5-10x for that, but of course quality varies.
Im going to guess they were junk analog cams...and even if not they make their money back on the huge monthly fee...