Noob here, what is the best B.I. v5 setup video for new system?

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so I've spent months getting a plan together for my house, buying cameras, cable, learning to crimp to terminate the connections, getting conduit, routing lines through my attic, etc. Also bought a computer for BlueIris with Windows 10, one of the ones recommended from this board. So I got the hardware stuff mostly solved for, but now comes the software part and having just installed BlueIris last night, I have a lot of questions!

First, like the total noob I am, I plugged in two new cameras into my POE switch and wasted a lot of time wondering why they were so janky and not working right, before realizing they were both defaulted to run on 192.168.1.108 so they were in conflict, after I plugged them in one at a time and changed their static IP to something else, they worked OK. Maybe that is common knowledge, but I didn't see it listed in any of the videos I've looked at, most of them just jump into configuring BlueIris, assuming you've already set up your cameras! This site has been very helpful for learning many things but I was not prepared for this IP conflict with the new cameras both using the same default, but maybe I just missed info about that?

Second, I see that the camera menus themselves (outside BlueIris) have a LOT of settings. They even have a recording schedule?? Do you set the recording schedule through the camera setup login menu, or through blue iris? Or can B.I. be used to set up the camera's recording schedule without going into that menu for each camera (through the web browser interface)? Kind of unsure if the cameras record off a schedule set individually in their software, or if you just need to have the feed come into BlueIris and deal with the schedule in BlueIris, independent of whatever the camera's interface is set to?

Third, in BlueIrisi after getting both cameras added, in the feeds I see the time/date twice on my Dahua cameras, once on the top left and again on the bottom. I'm guessing B.I. is injecting the time/date in addition to the camera. I didn't see a way to turn off the time/date in the camera settings, so I am guessing most people turn it off in the B.I. system to avoid seeing it twice?

I've got a LOT of additional setup and optimizations to do, I am sure. But yeah if any of you all can link your favorite tutorials for setting up a new system, I'd appreciate it! Preferably with version 5, as that is what I'm using. Goals are getting it to record to a differnt drive than it is defaulted to, getting some alerts set up, getting it to back up data from certain alerts to an FTP service, and getting the app for my phone. Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All Dahua cameras default to 192.168.1.108 and it has been mentioned, in many threads but not as a specific topic, not to plug in more than one at a time when doing an initial configuration.

Most, if not all, people use BI to run the schedule. Much simpler than having to log into each camera individually if/when changes are needed.

You can turn off the time being generated by BI by unchecking the box in the camera config called "enable overlays". This also reduces the load BI places on the CPU for processing video.

In terms of drive allocations, leave the database on the C: drive. Move the "New" and "Alerts" folder to another larger drive, in the the multiple terabyte range. Maintain the same directory structure on that drive, IE /Blue Iris/New, /Blue Iris/Alerts. Don't get creative there, BI may get confused. Also leave about 10% of that drive unallocated to BI since BI will need some "headroom" since file sizes can vary. Set the files to delete based on the allocation for each directory and do not use time, or age, to determine when to delete them.

Alerts can be set to FTP, or send SMS or email, inside the configuration of each camera in BI. They, SMS and email, are configured on the Alerts tab in the camera config in BI and the Post tab for FTP. You do need to configure SMS, email and FTP in the general settings of BI prior to enabling them for a camera. There is an appropriate tab for each.

The Help file in BI is your friend, check there first for most everything.

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I had not looked at the Help file in BI. Given what little I know, it might be useful, I'll check that out this evening.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A few more suggestions - if you haven't looked at the Wiki, do so on a real computer. There is also a thread of video tutorials, (thanks to Dasstrum), that cover most of the basics of BI.