Noob looking for advice for camera for front of house

mse678

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just looking to see if someone can point to me how i can improve my current setup.

The front of my house looks like the pic shown. I currently have a Hikvision dome camera installed at the red spot on the wall.

When i point the camera downward more to capture more of the front of my cars in the driveway, it will only capture the area in the RED box.

When i point the camera up/outward more to capture more of the driveway, it will only capture the area in the YELLOW box

The PURPLE box is what i want to accomplish, so i can see the whole driveway, along with the two sides of my house. What are some ways to accomplish this?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More cameras, you aren't going to accomplish what you want with one. At least two cams, one on the right side of the garage, and another on the left side, both looking at an angle towards the driveway center. Stay away from dome cams, they have all sorts of issue's outdoors.
See the Dahua subject area.
Use this to help, keep PPF>100 Camera Calculator / Design Software

mse678

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks

will using two dahua 2mp starlight be good enough? should i use 2.8mm or 3.6mm?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mse678

n3wb
Reaction score
also, does the dahua come with a software/interface that does recordings? so i wont need to use software like Blueiris?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks, so should i get them in 2.8mm or 3.6mm?
If you get the varifocal you will be able to adjust the focal length to give you the best FOV.

re 2.8mm vs 3.6mm:
If you want fixed lens then the question is how close will the suspect be from the camera?
If suspect super close - then 2.8mm - if not then 3.6mm OR even 6mm.
If you're uncertain get the varifocal.

If you are only getting 1-2 cameras you can put SD cards in them to store the videos - and thus not get BI or a NVR.

If you are getting a lot of cameras, then it is nice to have a central place to view and store the videos.

mse678

n3wb
Reaction score
If you get the varifocal you will be able to adjust the focal length to give you the best FOV.

re 2.8mm vs 3.6mm:
If you want fixed lens then the question is how close will the suspect be from the camera?
If suspect super close - then 2.8mm - if not then 3.6mm OR even 6mm.
If you're uncertain get the varifocal.

If you are only getting 1-2 cameras you can put SD cards in them to store the videos - and thus not get BI or a NVR.

If you are getting a lot of cameras, then it is nice to have a central place to view and store the videos.
thanks again

yeah i dont think i will get a lot of cameras, 3 max i think.