Not able to manually set IR Cutover

Brad-Pea

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All.

Hoping someone can help - I have recently set up a PTZ Dome Camera - a cheap model from eBay just for testing. I believe it is the same as per this listing:

All appears OK and functionality wise all is good but I was looking to manually turn IR off or on for testing. Within the menu setting I can see I can change this to Manual and then select either day or night but when I select day the image will flash but the camera remains in IR Mode.

Does anyone know what may be wrong ? Could it require a firmware update to resolve ? I am not too sure of the particular make/model so I am a little stuck.

Thanks in advance.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I do not know this cam, but one problem with buying cheep cams is the firmware can be lacking. Many settings/controls that are in better cams just are not in the cheep cams firmware.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All.

Hoping someone can help - I have recently set up a PTZ Dome Camera - a cheap model from eBay just for testing. I believe it is the same as per this listing:

All appears OK and functionality wise all is good but I was looking to manually turn IR off or on for testing. Within the menu setting I can see I can change this to Manual and then select either day or night but when I select day the image will flash but the camera remains in IR Mode.

Does anyone know what may be wrong ? Could it require a firmware update to resolve ? I am not too sure of the particular make/model so I am a little stuck.

Thanks in advance.
What on earth is this IR PTZ...? The IR is going to bounce back into the lens.
Dead give away of this being crap.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Brad-Pea

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not know this cam, but one problem with buying cheep cams is the firmware can be lacking. Many settings/controls that are in better cams just are not in the cheep cams firmware.
Thanks for the reply - yeh understandable but there is an option for IRCut Mode and I can select Manual. This then gives me 2 buttons, Day Mode and Night Mode. When I select Day Mode the image will flicker as if it is going into day mode but then flicks back. It happily switches between day/night when the mode is set to Auto and it becomes light out, I would think that manual functionality should be possible?

What on earth is this IR PTZ...? The IR is going to bounce back into the lens.
Dead give away of this being crap.
Yep - didn't spend a lot just wanted to check out the functionality before jumping for a more expensive model. Picture isn't half bad and covers what I need at the moment.
Very good point on the IR and actually more of a reason I want to have the ability to disable IR and keep it in Day Mode all the time, the area is lit enough that I should be able to cope without IR .. If I can ever disable it !!

I've attached a screen grab of the option if i'm missing another setting that is conflicting ??

IR-Manual.JPG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
there is an option for IRCut Mode and I can select Manual. This then gives me 2 buttons, Day Mode and Night Mode.
The IRcut mode may not be linked to the on/off operation of the IR LEDs.
Not all firmware controls the IR LEDs - at the low-cost end it's often the case that the IR LEDs are directly controlled via the light sensor, which also provides the day/night signal to the firmware to operate the IRcut hardware. You could check this by progressively covering the light sensor, and seeing if the IR LEDs show a gradual off/on transition. Firmware control would generally be a quick on/off transition.

Have you tried IRcut mode Manual, Day mode, Keep colour=Yes ?
With IRcut active, it wouldn't matter much if the IR LEDs stayed on.

Brad-Pea

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I was not aware that in the lower end models they use a light sensor to control the day/night signal. Is there no way to override this if that is indeed how this camera is set up ?

I will have to investigate the camera further and test via the light sensor. If it shows a gradual transition what does that tell me?

I have a cheap fixed camera that cost less than this camera and that has the option to set to day / night mode so was just a little surprised this one may not have it, would be a shame.

There is not much identifiable on the camera for me to search for firmware files if that is the problem. I can see the option to upgrade...

I tried IRcut mode Manual, Day mode, Keep colour=Yes but unfortunately the same occurred - a brief flicker of some colour and then black and white again...

Thanks.

Reaction score
The Advanced Image Option in the top right, what are the options in the pull downs? Try messing with those. Cam manufacturers do not always make their firmware intuitive.

Brad-Pea

n3wb
Reaction score
The Advanced Image Option in the top right, what are the options in the pull downs? Try messing with those. Cam manufacturers do not always make their firmware intuitive.
Hi,

For light mode we have:
Pure infrared light
Pure white light
Open white light when infrared triggered
Open infrared light when white triggered

For LED image option we have:
Normal
Prevent overexposure fave
Lincense plate then modes 1-6

For LED Brightness we have:
Auto
Manual
Brightness restricted auto

LED delay ranges from 0.01 to 1.50

For Image mode we have:
Normal
Forced frame rate
Super starlight mode

Ive tried changing the light mode but doesn’t appear to have any affect. I wouldn’t have imagined the other options to do anything that I need ?

It does seem a little poor that it would not be possible to over ride the settings..

Hopefully there is a way around it or a newer firmware that has it built in ? Finding such may be a bit of work though.

Thanks

Brad-Pea

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Again.

I have managed to make some progress - I found that there is a menu to control the camera directly by calling a preset. I did that and was able to navigate to an IT Display setting. From here I saw working mode and could choose Auto, Off or On.

Setting to Off disabled the IR and appeared to put the camera in day mode - great ! Now unfortunately this was short lived as when I came out of the menu shortly after night mode kicked back in!!

Anyone familiar with having to do any special to save whilst in the camera menu ? I do not see any save command within that menu directly. In IR Display there is an entry for “Testing Time” this is set to 8 seconds - about the same time it took to revert back - so I wonder how I commit this from testing .. back to the drawing board!

Cheers

einaeln349

n3wb
Reaction score
Could you please tell me how to enter to that secret menu? im on the same boat with that very same firmware judging by the screenshot you shared. Also could you tell if had any success at all after this?