Not recording at night - chunks of lost time

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just started using Blue Iris and I'm having a problem at night where it will not record video for a period of time. The cameras are working and do not go offline, they're just not getting recording.

Both cameras are set for continuous recording, I have it set to make a new file every 4 hours or 400 GB. I've included a screenshot to show the clips and you can see the gaps where it isn't making 4 hour long files. There are also multiple entries and entries at the wrong times. For example the most recent one at the top says it started at 12 AM but it's really 4AM and is where the live footage is being saved (it's 7 AM now).

Seems like things are wildly out of sync.

Any ideas?

blueirisexampleerror.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Do have a BI database running at that time? It will stop recording when doing a check/repair

That incorrect time is something that people who have configured sub streams have previously reported so what version of BI are you running.

Lastly, 400Gb is in my opinion way too large, I have mine set to 1hour and/or 1Gb to make the files more manageable.

Reaction score
Also check that your active profile for that time of day is also set to continuous recording. If the profile runs 24x7 then it’s probably something else.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do have a BI database running at that time? It will stop recording when doing a check/repair

That incorrect time is something that people who have configured sub streams have previously reported so what version of BI are you running.

Lastly, 400Gb is in my opinion way too large, I have mine set to 1hour and/or 1Gb to make the files more manageable.
How would I check the database?

I am using sub streams, Blue Iris v5. Do these not work?

I changed it to 1 hour/1GB.

This does seem to happen at midnight, so something about that. I've only had it running two days so far, but has happened both nights.

Also check that your active profile for that time of day is also set to continuous recording. If the profile runs 24x7 then it’s probably something else.
I have three profiles, but they're all set to sync with profile 1 for recording.

Thank you both for trying to help me with this!

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe I found the database option. "Compact/Repair DB at" ?

That's currently set to 2 AM every day, which is I believe the default. Is this something that should be run every day? How much time does this typically take where it wouldn't be recording?

If I have to miss time, I'd rather it be at a time I'm normally home and much less likely to ever need/want any footage.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It takes 8 seconds to compact/repair mine. I changed it to 7am since I didn't want to lose 8 seconds of recordings at night.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The incorrect timestamp is an issue I've run into on one of my cameras.

Simple fix is to turn off the Use RTSP/stream timecode setting on the camera config in BI.

I've sent a sample clip to Ken to analyze and he determined that it's a bug with that particular camera, so he can't fix it in BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also make sure you are running the same FPS for main and substream and that the Iframes match. I had one camera that somehow was different and was getting those types of issues in BI. Making them the same fixed it, but it can also simply be a camera issue as kklee stated.

And sometimes the repair DB solves it.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I've turned off the RTSP/stream timecode setting and will see if that makes a difference tonight. Since the problem was happening at midnight and the DB was happening at 2AM I do not think they are related.

I double checked the FPS settings of the main and sub streams, they're both identical along with the Iframe time.

I've also installed some more cameras, so we'll see how those go.

Appreciate the advice! I'll let you know if this solved this issue.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The incorrect timestamp is an issue I've run into on one of my cameras.

Simple fix is to turn off the Use RTSP/stream timecode setting on the camera config in BI.

I've sent a sample clip to Ken to analyze and he determined that it's a bug with that particular camera, so he can't fix it in BI.
This seems to have been the culprit, the last two nights have recorded without issue after this change. Thanks again for your help!