Not recording long enough once triggered?

BrettNagle

n3wb
Reaction score
What setting do i need to change?

When BI motion sensor is triggered it starts recording but does not get all the footage. For example the post office drives in with a package BI will only record some of it.

A lot of times the driver will pull in and sit in the truck so there is no motion for a few sec. I would likje it to record the entire time he/she is here.

Thanks for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What setting do i need to change?

When BI motion sensor is triggered it starts recording but does not get all the footage. For example the post office drives in with a package BI will only record some of it.

A lot of times the driver will pull in and sit in the truck so there is no motion for a few sec. I would likje it to record the entire time he/she is here.

Thanks for your help.
Break time

BrettNagle

n3wb
Reaction score
If i set break time to 120 sec once BI detects motion it will record for 2 min? for break time it says "end trigger unless re-triggered." confusing to me.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It starts recording for your set break time, if you set 2 minutes then it records for 2 minutes, however if some thing moves again before the 2 minutes are up, after, say 1 minute, then it starts the 2 minute cycle again from that point.

Last edited:

BrettNagle

n3wb
Reaction score
what do most people set it to?

I did have it set to 10 sec but it was always stopping to soon. What makes it more confusing to me is the (make time) even though the post office driver has already triggerd the motion record if the make time is set low why is BI not recording the entire delivery.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Is your recording starting late? If so your make pre-trigger buffer time isn't long enough. If the mail truck sits there, no motion is detected and the recording stops after your break time expires. But you should have a new recording once motion is detected again.

Last edited:

BrettNagle

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the recording is late it only appears not to be because of the pre-video buffer.

BI does not see the truck until it is very close how do i fix that? BI 4 did not have that issue. I tried to use the old settings from BI 4 but it didn't work....not the import i did a clean install.

Camera is 2.8mm wide but BI 4 could see the truck far away, right now it is like BI 5 is not monitoring the entire frame only the center as i can walk into the side frame and it will not triger a record?

My settings

min object size 250
min contrast 41
make time .05

object detection

trigger when object travels 50 pixeles
reset detector 67

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the same issue - I saw this:
Time before the trigger is set in cam properties > record > pretrigger video buffer.
Time after the trigger is set in cam properties > trigger > break time (30-60 seconds is optimal).

Is it correct? I am not seeing enough before the trigger still.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes the recording is late it only appears not to be because of the pre-video buffer
I haven't gotten the nerve to update to BI5 yet, what is your pre-trigger buffer set at? I mentioned make time earlier but meant pre-trigger buffer which I have set to 2.5 seconds but this is personal preference and mine is on BI4, although I would think BI5 would be the same.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pre-trigger is how long it will retain video to record prior to the Trigger. If you have pre-trigger set to 10 seconds, then you will record 10 seconds of activity that occurred PRIOR to the Trigger. IE, trigger occurs at 1:00:00 pm, video will actually be recorded from 12:59:50.

Make-time is how long the camera must stay in a triggered state to start recording. You have yours set extremely low at 0.05.

Break time is how long the camera will continue to record after the trigger occurs.

It's one of the benefits of recording 24/7 with triggers, you can see what if anything occurred before or after the trigger.

See this as well: Blue Iris Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pre-trigger is how long it will retain video to record prior to the Trigger. If you have pre-trigger set to 10 seconds, then you will record 10 seconds of activity that occurred PRIOR to the Trigger. IE, trigger occurs at 1:00:00 pm, video will actually be recorded from 12:59:50.

Make-time is how long the camera must stay in a triggered state to start recording. You have yours set extremely low at 0.05.

Break time is how long the camera will continue to record after the trigger occurs.

It's one of the benefits of recording 24/7 with triggers, you can see what if anything occurred before or after the trigger.

See this as well: Blue Iris Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk
Pre-record and motion events won't work reliably if you use "Limit Decoding Unless Required", regardless of iFrame\KeyFrame alignment.