Dec 2020 - Comparison of RTSP Doorbells

Reaction score
Is the supplied power supply with the DB1 considered to be up to the job? Thought I saw someone suggesting upgrading it somewhere, but can't find that now. Any opinions please?

nrc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this summary. I've been lurking around here for a while watching the state of doorbells that have RTSP capability. I'm running Zoneminder so I want to capture the video there. I also want mechanical chime compatibility and a dark color with minimal branding. Also cheap is good.

The EZVIZ DB1 seems like a good deal but I hate the white so I was looking a bit more. Nelly's has an unbranded version of this now with multiple faceplates but they want $139 for it.

You can also get an unbranded first gen with multiple faceplates from "Hawkeye Security" for $114.

But that led me to this LaView branded version of the first gen. Multiple faceplates for $59 right now seems worth trying.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

xaudiblex

n3wb
Reaction score
I also want mechanical chime compatibility and a dark color with minimal branding. Also cheap is good.

The EZVIZ DB1 seems like a good deal but I hate the white so I was looking a bit more. Nelly's has an unbranded version of this now with multiple faceplates but they want $139 for it.
I picked up the EZVIZ DB1 recently for $89. It actually has three interchangable faceplates (two dark ones and a light one). You can also remove the logo with batch configuration tool. Another added bonus is this one works with 2.4ghz/5ghz and is compatible with Google Home displays.

But that led me to this LaView branded version of the first gen. Multiple faceplates for $59 right now seems worth trying.
Be wary of the first gen LaView, I read it has issues with WiFi and I believe it is only 2.4ghz.

Last edited:

nrc

n3wb
Reaction score
I picked up the EZVIZ DB1 recently. It actually has three interchangable faceplates (two dark ones and a light one). Be wary of the first gen LaView, I read it has issues with WiFi and I believe it is only 2.4ghz.
Thanks, looking back at the summary I see that it says that about the faceplates right in there. I just hadn't seen it illustrated anywhere but on the Nelly's listing. I'm wary of the wifi issues with the first gen but I have a strong signal at my front door.

My other concern about the DB1 is that they mention on the Nelly's thread that you can't connect to a substream on the DB1. So according to them simultaneous use with the app and NVR software is a problem.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, looking back at the summary I see that it says that about the faceplates right in there. I just hadn't seen it illustrated anywhere but on the Nelly's listing. I'm wary of the wifi issues with the first gen but I have a strong signal at my front door.

My other concern about the DB1 is that they mention on the Nelly's thread that you can't connect to a substream on the DB1. So according to them simultaneous use with the app and NVR software is a problem.
Substream works you just cannot change it's resolution:
RTSP.JPG

Sub Stream:
1577974209270.png

Main Stream:
1577974077816.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like every other day there is someone asking about the best Blue Iris compatible doorbell for the residential market. I'm writing this thread to share my findings so far comparing the current options. This is a continuation from my post on the DB11 here. Many new doorbell cams were announced at CES this year in January, but most have not hit the market yet or are still incompatible with ONVIF.

(Doorbird is also a viable option since it checks most of the boxes, but I did not include it here as the resolution is low and price point is too high compared to these models).

I'm embedding a few sample videos comparing the hikvision and dahua cams. Both videos are mounted from the same exact location.

Hikvision Gen 1 (DS-KB6003-WIP) credit to @VorlonFrog

Hikvision Gen 2 (DB1)

Dahua (DB11)

SUMMARY OF FEATURES & KNOWN ISSUES

Following is a comparison chart based on information and feedback from everyone here. Thanks to all the people who posted information! (I do not own the yousee model, so I've not had a chance to test it). I will try to update with known issues as they are reported or as I find them.

ADVANCED FUNCTIONS/HACKS

Integrating doorbell button notifications to home automation systems

APIs have not been found yet to read doorbell button events, so some users have suggested creative ways to send button press events to other home automation systems. In my case, I'm using a simple relay wired in parallel to the power wires. When the button is pressed, voltage drop causes the relay to be tripped and you can send a simple on/off signal to any custom switch (alarm sensor, zwave switch, etc).

My doorbell install uses DC 12V, so a standard automotive 12V relay such as this one works well, but the concept should be similar for AC powered installs.

SDM5
@whoami ™ came up with a neat workaround by hacking the supported USB chime to trigger a relay. Details in his post (220) in the SDM5 thread. His method is for triggering a doorbell chime, but the same principle can apply to triggering home automation.

Use ONVIF to send PIR events to BlueIris

(Why does this matter? PIR is usually a reliable way of detecting motion, sometimes more accurate than software. In some cases, it may be better to trigger alerts based on the camera's onboard motion detection and send this alert to BI in order to lower false positives)

If you want the doorbell PIR to trigger blueiris, take the following steps in BI. First verify your camera is capable of sending ONVIF streams (not just RTSP). In camera configuration in BI:
  • Instructions for Hikvision models
  • Set Discovery/ONVIF port to 80
  • Set path to /Streaming/Channels/1?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1
  • "Get events with PullPointSubscription" must be checked
  • In the camera, go to PTZ/Control tab. Enable PTZ, select Hikvision from the Network IP dropdown.
GREAT Post, Great Thread!!!
All of my time has been in the RCA Thread and have not ventured far to see other Threads. Your DB Comparison Chart - very nicely done...I added your Thread to our DOORBELL101

If I could suggest one small correction, you have the Res. on the DB1 flipped around. Should be: 1577975138510.png

Hey, have you viewed your post in Firefox, noticed Videos and Chart is missing. On my 101, ipcamtalk blurs out my pictures for non-registered members. Just fyi, your post will end up in search engines (list) out there as it becomes popular.

Thank you for your Contribution(s)...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
GREAT Post, Great Thread!!!
All of my time has been in the RCA Thread and have not ventured far to see other Threads. Your DB Comparison Chart - very nicely done...I added your Thread to our DOORBELL101

If I could suggest one small correction, you have the Res. on the DB1 flipped around. Should be: View attachment 53259

Hey, have you viewed your post in Firefox, noticed Videos and Chart is missing. On my 101, ipcamtalk blurs out my pictures for non-registered members. Just fyi, your post will end up in search engines (list) out there as it becomes popular.

Thank you for your Contribution(s)...
@David L Great suggestions. Thanks! It seems we are trying to accomplish the same thing in keeping all this detailed information organized. Thanks for your great 101 write-up on the Hikvision variants.

I deliberately wrote the resolution that way to indicate the camera only shows portrait mode. However, if there is enough feedback to swap it around, I don't mind.

Yes, I've noticed the Firefox problem but unfortunately I haven't found a solution. The chart right now is a Google doc embedded into the post using the board's custom markup, so a moderator may need to step in to help (same for the embedded sample videos).

Your DB 101 is excellent as it covers most of the details I wanted to share here, but didn't have the space to. That thread is a bear! I'll be sure to link to your 101 from here as well. If I can make a suggestion for the 101: is it possible to show other key differences between the models (i.e. which ones include which colored faceplates or angle brackets)

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L Great suggestions. Thanks! It seems we are trying to accomplish the same thing in keeping all this detailed information organized. Thanks for your great 101 write-up on the Hikvision variants.

I deliberately wrote the resolution that way to indicate the camera only shows portrait mode. However, if there is enough feedback to swap it around, I don't mind.

Yes, I've noticed the Firefox problem but unfortunately I haven't found a solution. The chart right now is a Google doc embedded into the post using the board's custom markup, so a moderator may need to step in to help (same for the embedded sample videos).

Your DB 101 is excellent as it covers most of the details I wanted to share here, but didn't have the space to. That thread is a bear! I'll be sure to link to your 101 from here as well. If I can make a suggestion for the 101: is it possible to show other key differences between the models (i.e. which ones include which colored faceplates or angle brackets)
Yeah, many have asked about the Fish-Eye Lens, some like it a lot, others are still trying to get use to it. Personally I like the 180 degree Vertical view, the resolution is better than, RIng, Ring Pro & Nest, in my opinion (I have family/friends with all three), plus I am able to read labels zooming in on packages. The 105 degree horizontal view could be a bit wider but for porch views it actually works pretty well. Doorbell cameras are doing exactly what they are suppose to do, capture video/pics of someone at your Door, not on your driveway/lawn, there are other cameras for that footage.

Haha, yes the RCA Thread is Way Too Big :). I got in the Thread on page 29 when I got the ONVIF update on my LaView DB, crazy but now we are almost pushing 100 pages. From my first post, those without LaView DBs searched for a way to get the LaView firmware. We have came a along way since then, Aug. 2019. Being a Noob to all of this, I went back and read all 29 previous pages, gathered info/notes, most I did not even understand, in case I could use it for my future upgrades, Blue Iris, etc.
Anyway, after finding myself answering the same basic questions (I first had) many times over and many were asking for a Sticky, I gathered my Notes and put together the 101, page 69. Since then, Mike has put a Link to it in the First message of the Thread and I have been adding to it as we continue to discover more things out as we go along, crediting those who contribute to our Group.

Thank you for your suggestion, yes I will definitely add the Differences section.

Pliable Pixels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, new subscriber to this forum.
I'd like to add 2 additional doorbells (did not see it in this list)

a) DBell - WiFI+RTSP. I use it with ZoneMinder. FYI see this post on my setup for face recognition along with this device.
b) DoorBird - also WiFi+RTSP. Double++ the cost, but possibly better quality (haven't tried it, but looks it)

Last edited:

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up!

Doorbird was deliberately left off the list since the $300+ price point was far too high, especially given its low video performance (720p) and complaints about reliability. However, it does meet most of the other requirements.

Dbell is an interesting one. Will have to look into adding it on the list. Are they still actively being sold? The US stores they link show discontinued or out of stock.

Pliable Pixels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes DBell is actively being sold. I bought mine from their website. The company doesn’t seem to do a great job with cleaning up old links. When I spoke to them I was told they stopped selling via homedepot/etc years ago.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYSA: Fenderman posted either yesterday or today that Doorbird now has a 1080p version for $527!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Haha, anyone want to bite the bullet so we can get some sample videos for comparison?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up!

Doorbird was deliberately left off the list since the $300+ price point was far too high, especially given its low video performance (720p) and complaints about reliability. However, it does meet most of the other requirements.

Dbell is an interesting one. Will have to look into adding it on the list. Are they still actively being sold? The US stores they link show discontinued or out of stock.
I like this review on the DBell :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYSA: Fenderman posted either yesterday or today that Doorbird now has a 1080p version for $527!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wow for a Doorbell? Crazy huh. It does look like a well built unit, but really, $527? We can buy five 3MP Res. Doorbells for that price :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow for a Doorbell? Crazy huh. It does look like a well built unit, but really, $527? We can buy five 3MP Res. Doorbells for that price :)
Its not really out of line. Its POE, German built, bluetooth, sip and can control door access. Consider that a POE ring doorbell is 500 and presumably they market tested that price and sell a butt load of them, this is right in line. The axis doorbell is about 800. Grandstream has a unit (that is bulky and had other issues when i tested that also sells for 300-400) We are just used to the cheap china products like the hik . You can buy 5 cameras but that wont give you instant two way audio using sip and a button for your visitors to push. This model is not really intended for home use its more of an industrial design. I will guess that they will bring a slightly cheaper 400 model in 1080p to replace the 720p "lower end" model. If the video is good and the other functions work as promised (long shot) its worth the price.
Its it worth 300 bux more than this hik poe bell? Maybe... DS-KD8003-IME1/Surface

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its not really out of line. Its POE, German built, bluetooth, sip and can control door access. Consider that a POE ring doorbell is 500 and presumably they market tested that price and sell a butt load of them, this is right in line. The axis doorbell is about 800. Grandstream has a unit (that is bulky and had other issues when i tested that also sells for 300-400) We are just used to the cheap china products like the hik . You can buy 5 cameras but that wont give you instant two way audio using sip and a button for your visitors to push. This model is not really intended for home use its more of an industrial design. I will guess that they will bring a slightly cheaper 400 model in 1080p to replace the 720p "lower end" model. If the video is good and the other functions work as promised (long shot) its worth the price.
Its it worth 300 bux more than this hik poe bell? Maybe... DS-KD8003-IME1/Surface
Very Interesting info, yeah I remember seeing these while in Germany. A lot of 2 and three story housing there with multiple family dwellings..

Pliable Pixels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh that is interesting. I had assumed DoorBird would be rock solid. I'll have to research this forum to read more on its issues. The problem I have with Dbell is the application processor seems to shut down every few days in summer (the bell function continues to work) - my doorbell faces the sun and I'm always streaming to Zoneminder so I suppose the system gets overheated.

I'm going to migrate to a google coral device very soon - it seems to easily be able to handle real-time object detection across 12 of my cameras @ HD res. The models are quantized/slightly less accurate but great. I'm looking for a doorbell that can take the summer heat (Maryland,US) while constantly streaming.